• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Søren Kragh Andersen AKA "Mr. Andersen"

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Soo, apparently he will not be selected for the Tour with the start in Denmark and he will not extend his contract with the team after this year.

I'm not his biggest fan but that is just cruel. And stupid.

I genuinly hate teams who do that. I get that you might chose someone who's staying over someone who's leaving if they're both at the same level, but SK Andersen is one of the only DSM riders that's actually decent. And then indeed, just when the Tour starts in Denmark. Horrible team. Hope they completely fail the next few months and all the other teams miracously get enough points to get them relegated.

I agree that it's a really bad look, but we don't know how the split went down. I would have hoped that whatever each side's feelings toward the other were, that they could have presented a united front in public, bc as noted this would have been great publicity for DSM and a great way for SKA to finish his career there. Then again, if the guy's not going to be on the team, why not give another rider who will be a chance to ride the Tour?

I'm not Danish so I don't follow the ins and outs of SKA's career but he often seemed to be in the mix even if didn't win much. And he had a semi-legendary 2020 Tour with the rest of Sunweb.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I agree that it's a really bad look, but we don't know how the split went down. I would have hoped that whatever each side's feelings toward the other were, that they could have presented a united front in public, bc as noted this would have been great publicity for DSM and a great way for SKA to finish his career there. Then again, if the guy's not going to be on the team, why not give another rider who will be a chance to ride the Tour?

I'm not Danish so I don't follow the ins and outs of SKA's career but he often seemed to be in the mix even if didn't win much. And he had a semi-legendary 2020 Tour with the rest of Sunweb.

It is very difficult to argue that Hamilton and Tusveld are better candidates and SKA has been on the team 7 years, one of the best riders in the spring and it starts in Denmark. I an Danish and very biased, but there is no way you can defend this decision considering the rest of the riders. He has said he is completely free of covid (Leknessund caught it a week later) and you couldn't find a more motivated rider on the team, so there: "We have seen in the past how important it is to have a fully committed team for the biggest goals. The team we have selected are motivated to go all towards the same goal." makes it even worse.

If they just were honest and said: "The second a rider doesn't extend his contract with us, he is air to us, even after 7 years. They are a joke...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Read somewhere that he was in contact with Alpecin. Would love to see this

I think that would be a perfect fit for both parts, really.

Alpecin would gain a very strong co-leader to VdP for the classics (and the kind of rider he's been missing, tbh, either to send in the attack or to close gaps in the end in something like MSR) and SKA would had the chance to be the main rider of the team either in some of the classics VDP wouldn't start (like the Ardennes, for example) or even in 1-week stage races for which the team don't have any kind of similar rider).

TRENDING THREADS