• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Santos Tour Down Under Stage 2 Mt. Barker to Rostrevor 116.5km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 12, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
He won the Team Pursuit, lucky enough to be born in the best country. How many people count team time trials as real victories on this forum?

By the way, this is the road racing forum. As far as I'm concerned he only won a very short Romandie prologue, British road race title(lol) and the overall in one of the worst stage races there is.

So yeah, he definitely was not a winner type. Since when are we counting junior races? :eek:

He also regularly wins games of Monopoly against his brother, or doesn´t that count either suddenly?

Didn't watch the race. Had this crash anything to do with the escapees staying away on the descent or was the gap too big anyway?

also nice to see that Hermans seems fully recovered from some pretty serious injuries last winter, which affected most of his 2012 season.

Pricey_sky said:
P+P were saying that a few times when he attacked up the final climb. I dont think he is quite that good.
You listen to P and P and you will see some very special cycling: Like " Andy is leading the peleton because he wants to make up for the time he lost the day before" These two are really making me laugh with their commentaries

El Pistolero said:
He won the Team Pursuit, lucky enough to be born in the best country. How many people count team time trials as real victories on this forum?

By the way, this is the road racing forum. As far as I'm concerned he only won a very short Romandie prologue, British road race title(lol) and the overall in one of the worst stage races there is.

So yeah, he definitely was not a winner type. Since when are we counting junior races? :eek:

Your the one saying Sky turned him into a winner, he always was a winner in whatever he focussed on its logical he didnt win much on the road last year (except for a prologue while he was in track form).

jens_attacks said:
i thought that too but now i doubt it
i really think hayman,eisel,stannard end eddie boss will be for the cobbles race and thomas not.
he lost weight and i think he might target races like paris-nice this year.we'll see

I believe the Sky classic squad is skipping PN + TA. Im sure Thomas will be there in Flanders in great shape though.

Flamin said:
Didn't watch the race. Had this crash anything to do with the escapees staying away on the descent or was the gap too big anyway?

The crash wasn't shown. I think the riders involved were behind the 2nd group - at least they were behind on the climb. Gilbert started in a good position but seemed to slide backwards from what we saw. Maybe strength of numbers would have helped the chase but Thomas was very strong and would have won regardless

Kash to win stage 3 :DDDD

andrey-kashechkin-astana.jpg

From cyclingtips.com.au

His team director, Kurt-Asle Arvesen says Thomas was always planning to attack on today’s stage.

“We could see that Geraint was in really good shape already in December,” Arvseon said.

“He was really motivated to do this stage. He’s been talking about this attack on Corkscrew all week, and he did it and managed to stay away.

“It’s really good for him. He’s in good form and he will be better in the classics. Now we try to keep the jersey to Sunday.”

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ruudz0r said:
Your the one saying Sky turned him into a winner, he always was a winner in whatever he focussed on its logical he didnt win much on the road last year (except for a prologue while he was in track form).

No, he was not always a winner. He's been a pro on the road for 5 years now. He has already ridden 5 Grand Tours.

For the record, I'm not implying any clinic related stuff when I say "Wow, Sky turned GT into a winner.". It's just noticeable how whenever Sky says someone will be a leader, he actually starts dominating that race. Good for betting on races. :eek:

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
George Bennett looked fantastic in the NZ nationals and it doesn't surprise me that he is continuing that form. I see him as an outside bet for the GC.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
No, he was not always a winner. He's been a pro on the road for 5 years now. He has already ridden 5 Grand Tours.

For the record, I'm not implying any clinic related stuff when I say "Wow, Sky turned GT into a winner.". It's just noticeable how whenever Sky says someone will be a leader, he actually starts dominating that race. Good for betting on races. :eek:
He won gold in Beijing on the track, had 3 years on the road then of which 2009 he barely raced and then 2010 and 2011 which underlined his potential.

Do not worry it was a bit obvious that you were not implicating clinic related stuff, because even that could not explain away Sky's amazing return rate.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Yeh I have not seen many team time trials which are 4km :rolleyes:

The principle is about the same:

- Two 4-man squads competing against each other
- Fastest time wins or the team that overtakes the other in the final
- Front wheel of the 3rd rider counts
- Which means one rider usually sacrifices himself

Sounds like a short team time trial to me. Major difference being that you ride on the track, but then again, so many road pro's train on the track these days during winter.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

Sounds like a short team time trial to me. Major difference being that you ride on the track, but then again, so many road pro's train on the track these days during winter.

Exactly what it is.
Spot on.
And if it would be 50m it would still be a short TTT.:rolleyes:

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
BlenJones2 said:
He did briefly have the individual pursuit WR before bobridge broke it. (Ignoring boardmans aero time)

He may have broken that again if not for the change in focus.
I do not know how many IPs he has done in recent years what with it being take out of the Olympics. Then again Wiggins if he set his mind to it could probably take back the record as well.

El Pistolero said:

Your point was that he isn't a winner. Which is just a funny thing to say about a multiple Olympic champion, doesn't matter in which discipline.

To me it's pretty obvious that Geraint Thomas is the engine of the British pursuit squad. Don't hold it against him that Belgium doesn't compete in events like that (or do they?)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Your point was that he isn't a winner. Which is just a funny thing to say about a multiple Olympic champion, doesn't matter in which discipline.

To me it's pretty obvious that Geraint Thomas is the engine of the British pursuit squad. Don't hold it against him that Belgium doesn't compete in events like that (or do they?)

To me it's pretty obvious that GT wouldn't have won the Team Pursuit if he was born in Belgium. Belgians are decent in the Madison, but that's not an Olympic event anymore. I think GT was second on the Madison last year at the WC in fact.

Just because you win Team Pursuit(while being by far in the strongest country) doesn't make you a winner in this sport: road racing. And for me, GT was not a winner type, but he did seem like a winner type yesterday.

Perhaps I should've said not a winner on the road, but I thought it was implied since this is the road racing forum. Yeah, him not focusing on the track anymore can be a reason for him being better this year. But I don't really believe you need to sacrifice your whole road season just to win a 4km team time trial. :eek:

El Pistolero said:
To me it's pretty obvious that GT wouldn't have won the Team Pursuit if he was born in Belgium. Belgians are decent in the Madison, but that's not an Olympic event anymore. I think GT was second on the Madison last year at the WC in fact.

Just because you win Team Pursuit(while being by far in the strongest country) doesn't make you a winner. And for me, GT was not a winner type, but he did seem like a winner type yesterday.
Britain isn't the strongest country by far, in fact Australia was stronger in the years before. And Bobridge-Dennis-Hepburn-O'Shea actually seems stronger individually than Thomas-Kennaugh-Clancy-Burke.

TRENDING THREADS