• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Saudi Tour 2023 (January 30th - February 3rd)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
looked like Groenewegen caught some wind there at the wrong of the road? He came up with speed but then basically stalled

Being behind Milan, he probably couldn't even sense the wind.

seems like there are no bonus seconds handed out at the intermediate sprints, but on a separate earlier bonus sprint instead?! Not sure Walscheid knew... Guerreiro tried to sprint for it as well.

Yeah, only one of the daily sprints awards bonus seconds. The other intermediate sprints only count for the blue most active rider jersey. Yesterday it was the last sprint that had bonus seconds, so perhaps that confused some of the riders today.

Edit: But Walscheid also won the second sprint today, so he might also just be trying to keep himself in contention for the blue jersey.

Reactions: search
Thinking Milan can perhaps make it over the Poggio with the front group as well, CRO Race stage 3 was a really surprising climbing display for someone of his profile.
Knowing Milan, he'll probably do a full send attack 600m from the top of the Poggio :tearsofjoy:

For someone like him the w/kg needed for Poggio is probably quite a bit less than what he would have had to do at the end of CRO race stage 3 (much more aerodynamic climb than that one which had sustained 15-20% sections), just a question if he'll be given the opportunity and whether he can do it at the end of a long race (first one more questionable with the way Bahrain have used him).

Stage 3
215bc

Different finish than last year, according to the official site it’s 1.5k at 8.5% topping out at 1k to go. Note that, with Google, I get a shorter and shallower climb (1.1k at 6.8%) that ends with 700 metres to go, so take both numbers with a grain of salt.

looks even shorter to me. Around 700m at 7%, then 400m flat to the line. At least based on the RideWithGPS profile (edit: +2-300m flat on top, going by the official map)

They went past it last year, but hard to gather much from that:

QPBeqGi.png

nKvhRkh.png

...let alone Google Earth:

Gj8Pu6Y.png

Last edited:
He's a good shout for Sanremo. He did good on 2-3 minute hills in Croatia.

But the problem I see isn't getting dropped out the back but that I don't see him following on the steep part of the Poggio when the likes of MvdP and WvA are ready for liftoff.
fwiw, the big hill he did well on in Croatia was ~4:45 for the Milan group at 6.5 w/kg (for Paaschens, probably around the same for Milan or higher due to his attacks even though he's heavier), which would be well beyond what someone his size would have to do to follow the record time on Poggio providing he was in position at the bottom. Probably putting my neck out here, but if he's allowed to go for himself and in position, I think he can easily exceed the level of climbing Ewan did on a climb like the Poggio.

On the flipside, I could see Bahrain completely ignoring all of that and just having him lead out Mohoric into the bottom of the Poggio, considering his big power, weight and aero position make him perfect for that role.

Reactions: Sandisfan
fwiw, the big hill he did well on in Croatia was ~4:45 for the Milan group at 6.5 w/kg (for Paaschens, probably around the same for Milan or higher due to his attacks even though he's heavier), which would be well beyond what someone his size would have to do to follow the record time on Poggio providing he was in position at the bottom. Probably putting my neck out here, but if he's allowed to go for himself and in position, I think he can easily exceed the level of climbing Ewan did on a climb like the Poggio.

On the flipside, I could see Bahrain completely ignoring all of that and just having him lead out Mohoric into the bottom of the Poggio, considering his big power, weight and aero position make him perfect for that role.
1.6km at 6% takes almost 5 minutes?

Anyway, 6.5 isn't very high for 4:45. MvdP did 6.56 for 9 minutes in Giro stage 1.

1.6km at 6% takes almost 5 minutes?

Anyway, 6.5 isn't very high for 4:45. MvdP did 6.56 for 9 minutes in Giro stage 1.
For big guys on a climb as shallow as the Poggio (4%, final half of the climb ~3%), it would be extremely high. Demare didn't even have to do 6 w/kg to do a 5:56 on the Poggio sitting in the draft and Milan is minimum 10 KG's heavier. It's a climb where pure watts and drafting are extremely important compared to normal.

Beyond that the CRO race climb was on gravel and then a ribbed extremely steep road and was 2KM at 6% looking at riders strava. So yeah, it took quite a while.

TRENDING THREADS