• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Saxo-Bank to SRAM

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Darren said:
I too think it's a commercial decision by Riisb esp. considering the sponsor problems he had at the end of last season.

Yeah....I had that exact same thought as I toiled away (again) on my rollers today. He needs sponsorship $$ since IT Factory went bankrupt. SRAM was willing to pony up, Shimano wasn't.....hence the press release from SRAM / Saxo Bank.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
AFAIK, the former CSC-Team brought the components on its own and wasn't sponsored. Maybe they decided to cut the spendings a little bit.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dollars before performance

SRAM is really good, super-light, robust and "ergo". But Bjarne would only change for money, lots of money.
And, it's true that SexyBank had always been a team that went their own way, equipment-wise, but they went to Cervelo and their gear partners last year and asked for three time more money than before, (thinking that they were worth it now that they had won the Tour). Specialized happily ponied up and Cervelo et. al. put their sponsor monies together into their own team, which has proven to be a really good decision.
And lastly, some teams have struggled to get on terms with DuraAce 7900. I saw a lot of torn off rear derrs and chain issues this year. If you are running this stuff, please,please set the chain length correctly and install the complex joining link as instructed. ( And the Campy 11 folks, you too have to use the proper new tool, and follow the very specific instructions, or you will face plant too ).
Pay attention to mechanical issues in the races, most of he time, it's the quality of the mechanics, but a pattern emerges eventually, pointing out weaknesses. ( Back in the day, CSC would glue up new Zipps every race, 'cause the tubular rims weren't holding up. They fixed that by making them heavier two years ago)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
MavicMoto said:
SRAM is really good, super-light, robust and "ergo". But Bjarne would only change for money, lots of money.
And, it's true that SexyBank had always been a team that went their own way, equipment-wise, but they went to Cervelo and their gear partners last year and asked for three time more money than before, (thinking that they were worth it now that they had won the Tour). Specialized happily ponied up and Cervelo et. al. put their sponsor monies together into their own team, which has proven to be a really good decision.
And lastly, some teams have struggled to get on terms with DuraAce 7900. I saw a lot of torn off rear derrs and chain issues this year. If you are running this stuff, please,please set the chain length correctly and install the complex joining link as instructed. ( And the Campy 11 folks, you too have to use the proper new tool, and follow the very specific instructions, or you will face plant too ).
Pay attention to mechanical issues in the races, most of he time, it's the quality of the mechanics, but a pattern emerges eventually, pointing out weaknesses. ( Back in the day, CSC would glue up new Zipps every race, 'cause the tubular rims weren't holding up. They fixed that by making them heavier two years ago)

Nice post, very accurate instead of spouting market-speak.

NO doubt it's about $. Sram/Special-ed have deep pockets and will sponsor almost anybody that asks. Interesting to see if they use a Sram or DA(7800) 10s chain as they all seem to have problems if installed wrong(or even if installed right).

Never truer words here-"most of he time, it's the quality of the mechanics,". Some seem to think that pro team mechanics are some sort of god-like person when mostly they are tired, grouchy wrenches that couldn't make it in retail. Most I've seen are not that great, look for shortcuts, are overworked to boot.

ll 3 groups do the same thing, a little differently. All work, all will get the rider to the finish line. None of the bikes, wheels, groups, stems, seatposts, tires, saddles make any real, significant difference. It's all there just to get you there.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:
Never truer words here-"most of he time, it's the quality of the mechanics,". Some seem to think that pro team mechanics are some sort of god-like person when mostly they are tired, grouchy wrenches that couldn't make it in retail. Most I've seen are not that great, look for shortcuts, are overworked to boot.

I have no idea what you are talking about....all those guys are GREAT!!
:eek:
SireaucrashWCT32909062.jpg

Mar 17, 2009
web.mac.com
Shimano has problems

Shimano 7900 has some very big problems with their shift internals. The Cervelo test team removed it during the Tour of California and replaced it with 7801.
Katie Compton has had three sets of levers stop working in the 2 months she was using it during the recent Cyclocross season. The first set started to malfunction during it's second ride, US Cyclocross Nationals which was held on a dry course. The second set stopped working the day before Cross Worlds and the third set stopped working during the pre-ride on race day. The return mechanism to shift into a harder gear stops working. Needless to say this is a very serious problem that Shimano are dragging their feet on. Since Katie is not Shimano sponsored we can feel free to tell the story.

The other issue is ergonomics. When you have cold fingers with gloves on it takes a lot of concentration and coordination to hit the inner shift lever and who has time for that during a sprint.

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Wonder where all the Shimano stuff goes?

Do they have Craigslist in Europe? If they want some help, I'll take a Simano 10sp group or two off their hands. :)

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:
Nice post, very accurate instead of spouting market-speak.

NO doubt it's about $. Sram/Special-ed have deep pockets and will sponsor almost anybody that asks. Interesting to see if they use a Sram or DA(7800) 10s chain as they all seem to have problems if installed wrong(or even if installed right).

actually, if you look here, SRAM has addressed the chain issue, along with some others.

i do love SRAM. but that front derailleur/shifting is the worst in the business, especially for compact cranks. they should go back to their first generation force/rival shifting method for the FD.

Kiwivelo said:
Shimano 7900 has some very big problems with their shift internals. The Cervelo test team removed it during the Tour of California and replaced it with 7801.
Katie Compton has had three sets of levers stop working in the 2 months she was using it during the recent Cyclocross season. The first set started to malfunction during it's second ride, US Cyclocross Nationals which was held on a dry course. The second set stopped working the day before Cross Worlds and the third set stopped working during the pre-ride on race day. The return mechanism to shift into a harder gear stops working. Needless to say this is a very serious problem that Shimano are dragging their feet on. Since Katie is not Shimano sponsored we can feel free to tell the story.

The other issue is ergonomics. When you have cold fingers with gloves on it takes a lot of concentration and coordination to hit the inner shift lever and who has time for that during a sprint.

Yowz! Shimano has become like Microsoft. It is always better to let some other poor SOB experience the inevitable problems with their new stuff.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Chesapeake said:
I have it on very good authority that the deal was product only, no cash. The team wanted SRAM RED, it's as simple as that.

SRAM RED is awesome! I think almost all cyclists wants that gear system :)

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Chesapeake said:
I have it on very good authority that the deal was product only, no cash. The team wanted SRAM RED, it's as simple as that.

Regardless of the cash, they are still saving money.

CSC paid for their own Shimano stuff because Shimano insists that if you receive their sponsorship, then you have to use ALL Shimano stuff including wheels. CSC understandably didn't want Sh1Tmano wheels so they bought the groupsets with their own $.

This begs the question, if you are paying for your own groupsets, why on earth wouldn't you go for a good groupset like Campagnolo?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
No team this size would undergo changing 150 bikes over mid season because of cash!

Not only has Saxo gone to SRAM but Cervelo has changed back to Dura Ace 7800 (the old model)! Also OGrady and Cancellara at Tirenno Adriatico were back on the old Dura Ace!

Word is they are having massive front and rear shifting problems on Dura Ace 7900!

Columbia is even using zip ties! on the Rear Derailleurs!

7900 is not popular in the Pro Tour!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Also almost none of the big guys was using the 7900 during the cross season. Niels Albert had it but switched back to 7800! Was he getting more cash to ride the old model?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
patswana said:
This begs the question, if you are paying for your own groupsets, why on earth wouldn't you go for a good groupset like Campagnolo?

Zzzzz...link please to the empirical evidence that Campagnolo is better than Shimano.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Aside from the never ending debate about Sh*tmano Vs. CampagNoGo, I haven't heard that many great things about ScRAM either. From what people are saying, pretty much everything sucks if they're not riding it.

Maybe I'll dig up my old Suntour Cyclone grouppo from back in the 80's and avoid the controversy:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS