• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Saxo get s=xy with new sponsor and Columbia add krappy cellphone company

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Seriously whats going on at Columbia ? First they have the worst kit design this century and now they add the iPhone rip off cellphone company HTC to their title sponsor.... they need to go.

Meanwhile Saxo get even better with a cool new sponsor....... Riis is a legend not to mention a marketing genius.
___

Playitas – a Spanish holiday resort operated by travel services company Apollo, has signed on as a co sponsor for the Saxo Bank team. New kit is expected to be ready in time for the Tour de France.

HTC Corporation, a manufacturer of mobile phones, has announced a partnership with the Columbia Highroad team that will go into effect at the Tour. The team currently called Columbia-Highroad, and known in 2008 and 2009 as the team with the most victories in professional cycling, will compete as “Team Columbia-HTC” and will present the new team uniform in Monaco on July 3, the day before the start of the 96th Tour de France.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
Seriously whats going on at Columbia ? First they have the worst kit design this century and now they add the iPhone rip off cellphone company HTC to their title sponsor.... they need to go.
Ditto on the worst kit ever for Columbia. Their marketing people are probably saying, "at least people are talking about it"... Yeah, in the worst way.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:

Meanwhile Saxo get even better with a cool new sponsor....... Riis is a legend not to mention a marketing genius.
___

Playitas – a Spanish holiday resort operated by travel services company Apollo, has signed on as a co sponsor for the Saxo Bank team. New kit is expected to be ready in time for the Tour de France.

HTC Corporation, a manufacturer of mobile phones, has announced a partnership with the Columbia Highroad team that will go into effect at the Tour. The team currently called Columbia-Highroad, and known in 2008 and 2009 as the team with the most victories in professional cycling, will compete as “Team Columbia-HTC” and will present the new team uniform in Monaco on July 3, the day before the start of the 96th Tour de France.

Hey, if it means Columbia gets new kits, it good for cycling.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
grimpeur said:
Ditto on the worst kit ever for Columbia. Their marketing people are probably saying, "at least people are talking about it"... Yeah, in the worst way.

I heard they are adding a lime green strip to the jersey.... OMG... could they make it any worse ?

Interesting parallel to T-Mobile the teams former sponsor which also makes krapola handsets... I wonder if the 3 for 1 offer on blood refills from Freiburg university is still valid ? :rolleyes:

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I love the kit talk. Sorry but ALL pro kits are gey! Its just a matter of which ones are less gey. I can't think of a pro kit I would wear in public, well with the exception of my Sierra Nevada shirt which I like because i consume gallons of the stuff.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The very first High Road kit was really cool, the bright blue columbia one was original but the last one kinda sucked indeed. I hope they go back to cool now!

grimpeur said:
Ditto on the worst kit ever for Columbia.
Ahhh, you weren't around for the Castorama kits, were you?

But still, this is close. It's just awful, and a lime green strip will make it worse.

They could go retro and just have it white jersey with a yellow band in the middle that says "Columbia" across it and do better.

Snake8 said:
I can't think of a pro kit I would wear in public, well with the exception of my Sierra Nevada shirt which I like because i consume gallons of the stuff.
Last pro jersey I bought! I still have it, but rarely wear it.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash what are you moaning about? Just pick whichever kit you think is 'coolest' for your weekend 15mile ride.

On a serious note, unlike this thread, new sponsors in this market is nothing but good news, regardless of ones views on the said product.

Grow up.

0091paddy said:
whiteboytrash what are you moaning about? Just pick whichever kit you think is 'coolest' for your weekend 15mile ride.
LOL!

On a serious note, unlike this thread, new sponsors in this market is nothing but good news, regardless of ones views on the said product.

You bring up a very good point I should have mentioned. At this point, any sponsorship is good in our sport. But still, you have to admit it's fair game for us fans to admire kits we like, and say "bleech!" at one's we don't.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
0091paddy said:

Grow up.

+1

Oh, and for those of you not fond of CHR's kit this year? Must really pi$$ you all off to no end to have to see it getting zipped up and put on display at the sharp end of so many races this year. A dominant team.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
boalio said:
Relax, its just a cycling forum. No ones trying to cure cancer or prove string theory here.

The Cervélo TestTeam is seeking UCI permission to reverse the colors on its nearly all-black kit in time to use a largely white version at this year’s Tour de France.

The team has proposed changing its colors so that the black and white portions of the jersey are reversed.

"We made the design change because racing during the hot summer temperatures that are normal in Europe is hard on the riders," said Thomas Campana, Managing Director, Cervélo TestTeam, "and the lighter color will provide some relief from the heat. All modifications to team kit design must be approved by the UCI and we appreciate their prompt attention in this matter."

The change is proposed for the upcoming Tour de France as well as the Giro d'Italia Femminile, the women's verison of the Giro.

"Racing in hot weather is physically demanding, that's a given, and despite the fact that Castelli makes some of the lightest and coolest fabrics in existence, wearing a lighter colour will make a big difference, both psychologically and physically, to a rider's well being," explained Steve Smith, Castelli Products. "UCI agreed that the rider's health is paramount, and so we instituted the change."

The color is not the only change for the jersey.

"In addition to the new color, the team is also debuting an updated Aero Race Jersey pattern that features new construction and fabrics around the arm and shoulder making it even more aerodynamic,” said Smith. “With over three years of development and wind tunnel testing, this jersey saves 10 watts
compared to standard race jerseys."

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:

As an aside, HTC make great phones, and have been making Smart phones long before the iPhone shat itself onto the mobile phone market.

My 2c.

;)

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Ahhh, you weren't around for the Castorama kits, were you?

3675480412_0e857d8c83_o.jpg

Lovely, as is the hair!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
rode my new Astana kit the other day. Like the fact I stand out in it and am a fan of Contador so like to wear the same colours, until he moves teams :D

The shorts are a bit too shiny and slippery for my liking though so didn't really like it on the descents.

The best kits are anything Chippo wore. Now where can I get one of those skinsuits

Snake8 said:
I love the kit talk. Sorry but ALL pro kits are gey! Its just a matter of which ones are less gey. I can't think of a pro kit I would wear in public, well with the exception of my Sierra Nevada shirt which I like because i consume gallons of the stuff.

Dude, if you send me an ISD kit - a FULL kit, including gloves - I will walk around all day in it, in public, in the city of your choice. My only condition is that I get to keep the kit afterward. You can video it for youtube or whatever, but lemme at that ISD kit. It is sweet. I'll gel my hair back, douse myself in Cartier cologne, throw on a Rolex and do my best preening, Euro-weenie imitation. And I'm not "gey"!

A

Anonymous

Was Carrera the team with the shorts that looked like jean shorts? That was the nadir of poor taste.

Would you willing to walk around in the Euro-weenie mode in those Joe? I'd send you a gold chain with a saint medallion of your choice........

Somewhere there is a picture. I think I remember one of Ciapucci.

Thoughtforfood said:
Was Carrera the team with the shorts that looked like jean shorts? That was the nadir of poor taste.

Would you willing to walk around in the Euro-weenie mode in those Joe? I'd send you a gold chain with a saint medallion of your choice........

Somewhere there is a picture. I think I remember one of Ciapucci.

As long as it was a full-Carrera kit, yes. Just the bibs though, no. And I get to wear my white and gold Sidi Bettini shoes! Would I wear the chain outside the jersey, or properly, tucked in but w/ jersey slightly unzipped to give a hint of the gold below? (rotflmfao)