• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How To Say my name! Pronunciation thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I suppose that has to do with the sound 'ui' not existing in most languages. 'Ui' and 'Ou' are 2 quite different sounds in Dutch.

Yes, probably. Usually, I chastise people for not managing to understand how to pronounce the simple version of the Danish Ø, and now I fall victim to it myself...

Does the J play a role in the prononciation of his name or would it have been the same without it?

Yes, probably. Usually, I chastise people for not managing to understand how to pronounce the simple version of the Danish Ø, and now I fall victim to it myself...

Does the J play a role in the prononciation of his name or would it have been the same without it?
The 'j' doesn't really change anything in the pronunciation.

I think that the "ui" sounds appears a bit like the "ou" but without opening the mouth (or muith) as much.

Would you say the pronunciation in this video is wrong? (I hope Logic doesn't see it as it will probably drive him up the wall that the n is pronuinced ( ;) ) in the last example.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Er6tODzxI&ab_channel=TheLanguageAcademy
The words sound correct, but how the women in the beginning of the video pronounces 'ui' sounds somewhat strange to me. That probably has to do with there often being a small difference in pronunciation between Dutch Dutch and Flemish Dutch when it comes to sounds like 'ui', 'ou', 'au', 'ij' and 'ei'.

If you ever learned how to pronounce Kruijswijk or heard how to pronounce it, you can use that knowledge on Uijtdebroeks :D.

The words sound correct, but how the women in the beginning of the video pronounces 'ui' sounds somewhat strange to me. That probably has to do with there often being a small difference in pronunciation between Dutch Dutch and Flemish Dutch when it comes to sounds like 'ui', 'ou', 'au', 'ij' and 'ei'.

If you ever learned how to pronounce Kruijswijk or heard how to pronounce it, you can use that knowledge on Uijtdebroeks :D.

Thanks.

The problem is that was what I did, but I probably pronounce Kruijswijk a little wrong too ;)

Reactions: Bonimenier

Actually it's even pronounced slightly different in Twente & Gelderland than it is in Holland as well!

In farmers Dutch the ij equals the German ei.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS