• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Scheldeprijs Schoten: October 14th, 2020

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
"This was clearly miss-judged from the jury. Pascal found a hole and launched his sprint without touching any rider. Unfortunately, one guy touched his back wheel then and took a fall. But this was a racing incident we see quite often. From my view this is simply the wrong decision. It’s a pity for Pascal but also for all the other guys as they did a really good job today in the finale." – Steffen Radochla, Sports Director

I totally disagree with Radochla. Ackermann rode into Jansens wheel. I am glad hat he is okay.

"This was clearly miss-judged from the jury. Pascal found a hole and launched his sprint without touching any rider. Unfortunately, one guy touched his back wheel then and took a fall. But this was a racing incident we see quite often. From my view this is simply the wrong decision. It’s a pity for Pascal but also for all the other guys as they did a really good job today in the finale." – Steffen Radochla, Sports Director

I totally disagree with Radochla. Ackermann rode into Jansens wheel. I am glad hat he is okay.

A remarkable statement. There’s sticking by your rider and then there’s just tellung people not to believe their lying eyes. He swerved to get into a hole that wasn’t there. It wasnt malicious or aggressive but it was a stupid risk and he took it knowing it was rash,

A remarkable statement. There’s sticking by your rider and then there’s just tellung people not to believe their lying eyes. He swerved to get into a hole that wasn’t there. It wasnt malicious or aggressive but it was a stupid risk and he took it knowing it was rash,
Yup, classic management obfuscation: “unfortunately, one guy touched his back wheel” as though it was the rider who crashed that made the mistake of riding into Ackerman. I don’t have a take in DQ or not, but this statement makes things worse.

Yup, classic management obfuscation: “unfortunately, one guy touched his back wheel” as though it was the rider who crashed that made the mistake of riding into Ackerman. I don’t have a take in DQ or not, but this statement makes things worse.

yeah, if you change line dramatically and collide with a guy who has held his line, he didn’t run into you, you ran into him.

I wouldn't call that move "disgusting," more like careless. Ackermann had about 90 percent chance of making that hole, but he just clipped a wheel. It wasn't say, fully cutting across the road to take out your opponent or crashing them into the barriers.

But, regardless of intent, I think this has to be a DQ. Last year, I don't think so.

I wouldn't call that move "disgusting," more like careless. Ackermann had about 90 percent chance of making that hole, but he just clipped a wheel. It wasn't say, fully cutting across the road to take out your opponent or crashing them into the barriers.

But, regardless of intent, I think this has to be a DQ. Last year, I don't think so.
He deliberately takes action that directly causes a guy who's sprinting in a straight line to heavily crash and take others with him.

That's not an "incident."

He deliberately takes action that directly causes a guy who's sprinting in a straight line to heavily crash and take others with him.

That's not an "incident."

It’s not as if he put someone in the barriers or even as if he looked behind him and then swerved out to impede someone. He went for a hole that wasn’t quite there. It was a reckless misjudgement not aggression or an attempt to gain an unfair advantage by closing the door. That said, if you swerve out of your line and impede someone it should be a dq. The fact that it actually caused a crash makes it more obvious, but even aside from the consequences it merited disqualification just as a stupid dangerous move.

I keep saying it but Ackermann really doesn’t make reliably good split second decisions if he’s left to his own devices in a finale. He’s not normally dangerous. Usually it’s going too early, losing position, picking bad wheels. This time it was trying to force it by going for a hole that wasn’t there. He just does so much better with a good leadout.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't think it was that bad. There was a gap there, and you can't really be a top sprinter if you don't try and find those kinds of gaps - that's the art.

But he needed more speed than he had. A DQ is fair enough, but more in lieu of the consequences than the intent.....and not that I've ever been a sprinter, but I would imagine that it is hard to predict consequences of every move you make.

...but not a hole large enough to fit his bike through.
...he did touch a rider.