• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Schleck Bros. appreciation thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Just curious. Do they have another brother?

slapshot.jpg

nice work I wish I would have thought of that

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The Schlecks are pure class. They both come off a such genuine nice guys. They give credit to others, seem humble and modest. Whomever raised them seems to have done a great job. Listen to any Andy interview for a few minutes and its hard not to root for the guy.

Plus they made this race. Without them the Alps would have been a snoozefest. They bring a great deal of excitement to the race. I hope Andy improves his TT and brings us some excitement to the GC race the next few years.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
Concerning the gift that Contador gave the Schlecks: he obviously arranged or told frank they could have it but

Contador said in an interview that the reason he did not sprint is he wanted to save energy for today's ITT. If you watch the rerun you can see Contador attempting to sprint at the end but not having enough to get to Frank. Early on the descent Andy talked to Contador which we can presume was asking Cont to let Frank to win to honor Jens. Contador looked pretty upset and not very cooperative. His post stage comments confirm there was no agreement. Keep in mind he also tried to sprint for 9th or so place in stage 16. Giving anything to anyone does not seem to be something that Contador finds agreeable.

Chomsky said:
Contador said in an interview that the reason he did not sprint is he wanted to save energy for today's ITT. If you watch the rerun you can see Contador attempting to sprint at the end but not having enough to get to Frank. Early on the descent Andy talked to Contador which we can presume was asking Cont to let Frank to win to honor Jens. Contador looked pretty upset and not very cooperative. His post stage comments confirm there was no agreement. Keep in mind he also tried to sprint for 9th or so place in stage 16. Giving anything to anyone does not seem to be something that Contador finds agreeable.

from what I saw Contador initiated the conversation (I only see what the tv footage sends back granted). To me he looked to sprint a bit coming up to the line but no really try too much. Anyway my point in my intial post was that the Schlecks would have taken him - well one of them anyway and I think AC knew this all to well.

As for AC's post race comments most do not tell all about agreements over who will win.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
So, can our brave Brothers withstand the might that the forces of darkness (Astana) will unleash on them tomorrow?

I think Andy is safe, and I really would love to see the unique occurrence of brothers on the podium. I'm rooting for the Blues/Schleck Bros. big time tomorrow!:cool:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Well stone me, there's a suprise.:rolleyes: (not)

Mart Smeets has just done the trailer for tonight's Tour show on Dutch tv....the teaser was that, "shush, don't tell anyone, but the Schleck Brothers will probably be riding for LA's team next season".

As previously speculated after Lance's hour long ride next to Andy.:D

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Like many others, I have really grown to appreciate and admire Andy Schleck throughout this Tour. I had previously thought of him as more pretender than contender, more of a Sastre-type rider who was too one-dimensional to seriously contend (at this time) in a Grand Tour.

This year he has shown not only improved ability, but a toughness that I didn't expect. He has been beaten by Contador, but he hasn't backed down an inch.

I thought today's ride was incredibly impressive. For most riders, Ventoux is a climb to be regarded with trepidation--it's a climb they just try and hold on to finish. Schleck rode it completely without fear--more concerned with employing tactics to help his brother than the difficulty of the climb itself. He could attack whenever he wanted, again without any fear of blowing up or suffering at the end. Obviously, Contador is in a class by himself (I think he napped through half the climb), but A Schleck is not far behind. I look forward to seeing him mature even more as a rider and challenging for the top spot in the years ahead.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Azdak6 said:
I thought today's ride was incredibly impressive. For most riders, Ventoux is a climb to be regarded with trepidation--it's a climb they just try and hold on to finish. Schleck rode it completely without fear--more concerned with employing tactics to help his brother than the difficulty of the climb itself. He could attack whenever he wanted, again without any fear of blowing up or suffering at the end. Obviously, Contador is in a class by himself (I think he napped through half the climb), but A Schleck is not far behind. I look forward to seeing him mature even more as a rider and challenging for the top spot in the years ahead.

spot on. Andy did the same thing on Alp d'Heuz last year, which again was awesome to watch. he showed he can ride consistently throughout a GT, which was the only ? leading into this years TdF (for me anyway)

all he needs now is to improve his TT ability, which if use Alberto as a guide has to be possible. Alberto lost i think ~ 1.20 to Evans in 07, and now he is winning a lot the TT he rides...

can't wait for '10's repeat

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Well, doped or not, it`s simply nice to watch the Schlecks ride. And they are also really funny, love the interviews, too! ..just had to think of an old one with Fränk, when he won the Amstel Gold Race. The interviewer asked him when he realized that he would win, and he answered: "some meters before the finish I looked back and there was no one behind me and I just thought F***! I am going to win that SH**!" Was the funniest reaction after a win from anyone ever! ;) That was the first time I noticed something about those boys and really had to like them. I hope we will see - and hear ;) a lot more of them in the future!

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Cartesian Centaur said:
Having read his twitter, all I can say is that whoever writes these for him does a good job. :p

I agree with you. The blog is not his style if anyone follows his twit or interview (i am glad he's not abusing his twitter account). It could be his idea and fit his personality but definitely tons of proofreading and grammar check

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
mherm79 said:
all he needs now is to improve his TT ability, which if use Alberto as a guide has to be possible. Alberto lost i think ~ 1.20 to Evans in 07, and now he is winning a lot the TT he rides...

can't wait for '10's repeat

And we can count on him to improve. Andy was 3:50 some minutes behind Evans in 08 TDF last TT, and now this Tour he was 1:45 mins behind winner in Annecy ITT.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Azdak6 said:
For most riders, Ventoux is a climb to be regarded with trepidation--it's a climb they just try and hold on to finish. Schleck rode it completely without fear--more concerned with employing tactics to help his brother than the difficulty of the climb itself. He could attack whenever he wanted, again without any fear of blowing up or suffering at the end. Obviously, Contador is in a class by himself (I think he napped through half the climb), but A Schleck is not far behind. I look forward to seeing him mature even more as a rider and challenging for the top spot in the years ahead.

I think if he didnt have to help his brother in mount ventoux, he or contador could have won the stage. Clearly he attacked then slowed down to pace Frank throughout the race, which led many to say Andy couldn't drop Armstrong, which was clearly not the case.

dblueroom said:
I think if he didnt have to help his brother in mount ventoux, he or contador could have won the stage. Clearly he attacked then slowed down to pace Frank throughout the race, which led many to say Andy couldn't drop Armstrong, which was clearly not the case.

frank said in the 2 johnnies interview, "i had some more to suffer" on ventoux.
frank got 5th oa. . those brothers are tight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3sKyP2WgQ

this video was posted before. it is very funny and full of insight as well.:cool:

dblueroom said:
I agree with you. The blog is not his style if anyone follows his twit or interview (i am glad he's not abusing his twitter account). It could be his idea and fit his personality but definitely tons of proofreading and grammar check

Perhaps he writes the blog in his native language and it is then converted to English. Both brothers appear to have an excellent sense of humour. I am a big fan of both and enjoy reading Andy's blogs, but have noticed he does not twit in English very well. Frank's English is fluent verbally but I have not read anything he has written personally, so do not know of his written English skills

They both can ride though.......

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3sKyP2WgQ

this video was posted before. it is very funny and full of insight as well.:cool:

Oh goodness this video is just hilarious. :D:D Thanks so much for posting that.

"Next year I go for the Poker dot jersey! Those girls were pretty." - I mean, how can you not love those guys.

I think what the deal might be with the blog is that he writes it in German and then someone translates it. I don't know if that's the case but it seems like a plausible possibility to me.

Also on the topic of whether or not Contador let Fränk win, I think Fränk could have won either way. Neither of them is a great sprinter but Fränk has a lot of experience (maybe more than Contador) and he had a great finish in California early this year where he won a stage in front of ... some Italian guy from Liquigas whose name I can't remember. :eek:
That really surprised me then and I think he could have done it again.

What I also really appreciate about their style of riding is that they don't seem to give up even though Contador seems unbeatable. They tried everything they could, and who knows, he could have maybe cracked like in Paris-Nice or crashed, God forbid, but then they would have been there. It wasn't meant to be this year, they did the best they could and someone else beat them fair and square!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Fränk needs to eat a little more, while Andy is fishing for a new contract maybe ;)

4232039-500x500.jpg

4560075-500x500.jpg

In the Netherlands they are already compared with the guys from "de Kameleon"...

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Respect in Cali

They won my respect this past ToC.

Most of the big names went out of their way to announce this race was only training miles. The Schlecks did otherwise. They honored the sport and fans who lined the road. US fans get few chances to see the Pro Tour guys race -- really race. The Schlecks did not disappoint.

Frank killed himself in a break with Hincapie on Stage 7 in the circuits around the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. George looked foamingly rabid with his effort to repeat there and Frank matched him. Neither won that day but Frank earned my admiration.

The very next day's big climb over the substantial Mount Palomar saw both brothers go solo in different breaks in their usual one-two combination on the rest of the Peloton. Andy was reeled in but Frank won the stage in Courageous style. He made a ton of new fans in the states that day. Looking forward to watching these careers unfold. Both guys represent old school Panache!