• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Schleck doesn't want to win Tour through a possible Contador disqualification

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bilirubin said:
The real race could have been going on in the 20s.

The possible top four of the clean riders this year:

23. ARMSTRONG Lance
24. WIGGINS Bradley
25. CASAR Sandy
26. EVANS Cadel

It is interesting that Armstrong, Wiggins and Evans ended up so close. Most people considered Armstrong to be clean this year with the unprecidented scrutiny from Interpol, the French feds, the US Feds, and the media. Maybe he won it?

mmm

If i remember Armstrongs best 3 days in the tdf were after rest days.

Prologue where only the top 3 tters in the world (the Geelong itt podium) beat him.

Then finished in the 3rd group on the road with Basso on the Madeline the day after the 2nd rest day.

And was Pau not the 3rd rest day? Because he was surprisingly good on the Tourmalet as well.

Wasnt something said about rest days being when you take in the peds.

As for Cuddles if he was doping he clearly stopped after the disaster on the MAdeline, since he had nothing to gain. I find it hard to believe that the guy who podiumed 2 of the dirtiest tours in history, and who in 08 beat Ricco AND Kohl AND Frank Schleck wasnt doping.

And if he did dope in 07 and 08 why would he stop now?

Bilirubin

BANNED
Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Did they?

A bit of fanboy subterfuge there.
If we are going to play the "who's clean?" guessing game, then I'd suggest we start with Nick Roche in 15th and Thomas Lövkvist in 17th.

So, no, the new, clean Lance, still has no Tour wins to his credit.:p

Well to be precise about it, I believe Nick Roche was going for the overall to the very end. Armstrong, however, backed off big time at the end of the first week to try for a stage win. Evans and Wiggins to a lessor extent did the same. Wiggo eased off to go for the final TT.

Bilirubin

BANNED
Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
mmm

If i remember Armstrongs best 3 days in the tdf were after rest days.

You remember incorrectly. His best day was BEFORE the last rest day when he got into a breakaway on the hottest and longest day of the tour.

Bilirubin said:
You remember incorrectly. His best day was BEFORE the last rest day when he got into a breakaway on the hottest and longest day of the tour.

no. I figured the Pau stage was not his best because he came 6th out of 8 in the break. Despite going for his last Tour win and being the only guy in the break with a leadout man, he didnt even attack, just rode to the finish.

Either way the prologue where he came 4th to Cancellara Martin and Millar, and ahead of all Gc guys, was without doubt his best stage.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Quote " Schleck doesn't want to win Tour through a possible Contador disqualification "

That is a load of PR nonsense. If I WAS CHEATED out of a tour Win, hypothetically speaking of course, and were clean. I WOULD BE JUMPING out of My seat with delight. I would be hoping that the First place Guy was banned if he tested positive, and it was confirmed. If I was not cheating of course. I would bet a fair few Bucks that Andy Schleck feel's the same way, privately. But won't disclose that fact. But I am positive that he also doped, GIVEN THE NATURE OF HIS PERFORMANCE.

tdf_2010_st17_SCHLECK-BERT_FINISH1.jpg

Stage Finish on the Col Du Tourmalet, during this Year's Tour De France.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
The Devil said:
Quote " Schleck doesn't want to win Tour through a possible Contador disqualification "

That is a load of PR nonsense. If I WAS CHEATED out of a tour Win, hypothetically speaking of course, and were clean. I WOULD BE JUMPING out of My seat with delight. I would be hoping that the First place Guy was banned if he tested positive, and it was confirmed. If I was not cheating of course. I would bet a fair few Bucks that Andy Schleck feel's the same way, privately. But won't disclose that fact. But I am positive that he also doped, GIVEN THE NATURE OF HIS PERFORMANCE.

tdf_2010_st17_SCHLECK-BERT_FINISH1.jpg

Finish on The Col De Tourmalet during this Years Tour De France

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Devil said:
I have often wondered if it possible to Win A three week Grand Tour without resorting to PED'S.

I also often wonder that, whilst lying on my couch. However I usually don't waste to much time on it, and return to my beer and chips. Other people train their whole life to find out ... maybe they have the better approach.

There has been a lot of talk about sportsmanship this year, and I think this is essentially what it comes down to: you don't kick someone who's down. Not your enemy and especially not your friend (in the case of Andy/Conti). Who knows what the hell Andy really thinks but in my opinion he said exactly the right thing in the media

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
When you have guys like JB and LA delivering suitcases full of cash to guys like Hein Verbruggen, you start to realize that the TDF is as much spectacle as it is sporting event. My guess? The UCI and the mob-like leaders of the peloton have an "understanding". They throw a few low-level lambs under the bus each year to manage public perception. Cases like AC's mean there is a back-room conflict brewing in the billiards hall. Maybe McQuaid was expecting a heavier suitcase last week.

If Johann and Lance donated money I am sure it was for the anti-doping fight.

Did you see Lance going at it with Contador during a climb. I would bet Lance was telling Contador not to dope, that it is dishonest. That is the kind of man Lance is: honorable and to the point. Anyone who disagrees with me:thats' their problem.

flicker said:
If Johann and Lance donated money I am sure it was for the anti-doping fight.

Did you see Lance going at it with Contador during a climb. I would bet Lance was telling Contador not to dope, that it is dishonest. That is the kind of man Lance is: honorable and to the point. Anyone who disagrees with me:thats' their problem.

I am notifying Wonderlance that you are trying to steal his shtick.:cool:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I am notifying Wonderlance that you are trying to steal his shtick.:cool:

Hugh it is about time everyone came around as to what Lance has done for the anti-doping crusade. Its' weird it comes out that he donated money for a testing machine and suddenly Contador is busted. Coincidence I suppose.

seeing that pic of the Tourmalet finish - it was touted that conti let schleck have the stage win on the handshake...

if true, then if Andy's happy to be "given" a stage win, then why not the whole she-bang? Is it really all about standing on the podium and getting the kisses from the podium chicks?