• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Schleki's won't win TDF

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
how many times has Schleck been on his own after attacking on a mountain stage? He's shown he can finish ahead of the other contenders but very rarely on his own.

theyoungest said:
Oh, his climbing is okay. Just not better than last year. Still very good, mind you, but not Tour podium good.

I think he will be better in the Tour than now... I think his preparation route is much better this year.
Instead of Suisse, he takes the altitude training -> dauphiné -> altitude training route... same one as Jurgen Van den Broeck last year.

I think he'll benefit from that.
Also, he doesn't race much. Oman -> Tirreno -> Dauphine -> 3 classics ... He took a week off after the Tirreno and a week off after the 3 classics. He'll be fresh for the Tour as well.

Hugo Koblet said:
In the "crazy predictions" thread, I stated that Andy Schleck will never win the Tour de France and I stand by that (though the prediction doesn't look good this year if Contador isn't there and Menchov won't be there either).

How long ago did you make the prediction? Because if you made it post 2010-TDF I would say that was highly risky indeed.

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that AS has the mental strength to handle the pressure. He's not a good "planner," and if AC isn't there he probably will think that it will be an easy victory...which will mess up his mentality even more.
I'd LOVE to see Basso surprise Schleck...that would be just fabulous! But, if AC isn't there, and ASchleck wins, it just won't seem to be that worthy of a victory. ASchleck knows this. His mind has a lot to process. Even if AC isn't there, I think (and I am hoping) that Schleck will have a mental breakdown. Whether he makes crucial mistakes, or just can't get him mind to cooperate with his body, I just don't see him pulling it off.

jens_attacks said:
i think andy has a better chance of winning le tour if alberto IS there.he needs less pressure.of course he will win le tour de france,he has lots of years in front of him but i doubt that it will be this year i don't know why.
Andy Schleck is so much better than the rest, if Contador is not there he almost has to win.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i think andy has a better chance of winning le tour if alberto IS there.he needs less pressure.of course he will win le tour de france,he has lots of years in front of him but i doubt that it will be this year i don't know why.

Me neither.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Trevor FCR said:
But, if AC isn't there, and ASchleck wins, it just won't seem to be that worthy of a victory. ASchleck knows this.

I get what you're trying to say but whoever wins the Tour is always worthy. Sastre and Pereiro were worthy winners. Sure, the competition was a bit weaker those years but you still got to be there and you still got to deliver. And of course Basso, Evans and Van den Broeck, heck even Gesink aren't half bad either. Plus, nowadays in cycling half of the job is just showing up :D

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:
I get what you're trying to say but whoever wins the Tour is always worthy. Sastre and Pereiro were worthy winners. Sure, the competition was a bit weaker those years but you still got to be there and you still got to deliver. Plus, nowadays in cycling half of the job is just showing up :D

:D Sorry, I can't swallow that.

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:
I get what you're trying to say but whoever wins the Tour is always worthy. Sastre and Pereiro were worthy winners. Sure, the competition was a bit weaker those years but you still got to be there and you still got to deliver. And of course Basso, Evans and Van den Broeck, heck even Gesink aren't half bad either. Plus, nowadays in cycling half of the job is just showing up :D

I think it means a lot to Schleck to "beat" Contador. He's said before he wants him there to beat him, and if Contador would get stripped of his 2010 victory, that he (Schleck) wouldn't want to be handed the victory.

I don't think he'll win either way either. He's always got something that goes wrong, or some mistake he makes. He doesn't seem mentally gathered yet.

Trevor FCR said:
I think it means a lot to Schleck to "beat" Contador. He's said before he wants him there to beat him, and if Contador would get stripped of his 2010 victory, that he (Schleck) wouldn't want to be handed the victory.

I don't think he'll win either way either. He's always got something that goes wrong, or some mistake he makes. He doesn't seem mentally gathered yet.

He won't win, mainly because of this:
SCHLECK Andy 11 TEAM SAXO BANK 1h 07' 10" + 06' 14"
He lost 6+ min. in last year's TdF TT.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:

Fortunately, Cancellara wasn't very high on GC.

cineteq said:
Did you actually watch that TT? For a while it even looked like he was going to beat Contador. Eventually he collapsed (sort of) but he showed that if he puts his mind to it he can really go a long way in a TT.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:

uhuh. also the other touted favorites (considering ac and the others riding the giro);
Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto @ 7.10
Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank @ 8.33
Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo @ 9.51
Samuel Sánchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi @ 5.51 (the only one of the touted favorites who did better.. barely)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:

you gotta be kidding me the other gc contenders were around his time or some even worse than it plus he was very close to contador and he did the TT of his life. like dekker said it was the result of the conditions, even menchov who did a magic TT was quite far back. He might lose time to the others in this years TT but he can surely make up for it on the mountains. And he will probably gain time in the TTT.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
uhuh. also the other touted favorites (considering ac and the others riding the giro);
Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto @ 7.10
Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank @ 8.33
Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo @ 9.51
Samuel Sánchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi @ 5.51 (the only one of the touted favorites who did better.. barely)

:eek: I forgot about that. 3 minutes on Basso looks really impressive but then again he was one of the off-form Giro guys

well basso's performance shouldn't be considered. it was a miracle he finished the tour last year. he was not only off form but also sick on the last week. remember him being dropped on the first mountain when even the sprinters were hanging on?

still andy did a much better TT then every1 was expecting. but ofc we all know that Robertian gesinkllara will put 6 minutes into andy this year :p

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
well basso's performance shouldn't be considered. it was a miracle he finished the tour last year. he was not only off form but also sick on the last week. remember him being dropped on the first mountain when even the sprinters were hanging on?

still andy did a much better TT then every1 was expecting. but ofc we all know that Robertian gesinkllara will put 6 minutes into andy this year :p

and lose 9 minutes to andy on the mountains:D

dlwssonic said:
you gotta be kidding me the other gc contenders were around his time or some even worse than it plus he was very close to contador and he did the TT of his life.

The fact of the matter, Alberto was way off his usual TT form that day.
Menchov's time confirms that.
That's why Andy's time was close to Alberto's, not because he did a great TT.