• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Sepp Kuss is the next Sepp Kuss thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kuss is an amazing climber but will always struggle in stages like today, especially if wet. He's not a racer.

And there's nothing miraculous in Roglic limiting his losses.

Only George Bennett & Roglic "survived" among the Jumbo guys today after the final descent. That tells me what happened was way, way more interesting than Sepp Kuss merely showing limitations on this sort of wet stage.

If Kuss had blown up, so be it. But the entire Jumbo team - except two - were also dead. Very strange. It looked like Roglic had to dig pretty deep to bridge a gap & then paid for it on the climb.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Only George Bennett & Roglic "survived" among the Jumbo guys today after the final descent. That tells me what happened was way, way more interesting than Sepp Kuss merely showing limitations on this sort of wet stage.

If Kuss had blown up, so be it. But the entire Jumbo team - except two - were also dead. Very strange. It looked like Roglic had to dig pretty deep to bridge a gap & then paid for it on the climb.
Who are the other Jumbo riders you would expect to survive such a stage? Dumoulin is in terrible shape, Gesink is another one of those riders who will often suffer in such stages and the others are just flat domestiques. They worked to close the gap and when Roglic made the jump it was game over.

A ton of riders finished 10 minutes down or more. It was a tough tough stage, not just for the Jumbo riders.

It appeared there were splits on the decent before Formigal, but with everyone in rain jackets and cameras not being able to figure out who anyone was it made it hard to have any idea who was where and where JV lost time. However it sounds like something to do with putting on rain jackets or zipping up rain jackets or something along those lines.

Reactions: yaco
Ok this is what happened just watching the available broadcast.
Amador drills the descent with Carapaz on his wheel. Jumbo disappears from the front (probably because of Roglic jacket problem). There are several splits but at the end of the descent some regrouping occurs. It doesn't take long for the other teams to realize Roglic is not there, hence an ISN rider starts pulling and a couple km later Movistar takes over.

There's another group behind pulled by a Jumbo rider, there a few heli shots of that group. The Jumbo rider pulling looks most likely to be Gesink (or Dumoulin), not Kuss. In that group you can see another Jumbo rider (Bennett) and Roglic. I don't think Kuss was in that group after the descent, so he was probably further behind. When the Jumbo rider stops pulling you can see a team with red jackets pulling (possibly Lotto?) and then one of them trioes to make a jump. Roglic and Bennett follow him, then bridge.

Reactions: jmdirt
There's another group behind pulled by a Jumbo rider, there a few heli shots of that group. The Jumbo rider pulling looks most likely to be Gesink (or Dumoulin), not Kuss. In that group you can see another Jumbo rider (Bennett) and Roglic. I don't think Kuss was in that group after the descent, so he was probably further behind. When the Jumbo rider stops pulling you can see a team with red jackets pulling (possibly Lotto?) and then one of them trioes to make a jump. Roglic and Bennett follow him, then bridge.

I'm pretty sure Kuss was in that group. With 27k to go you can see 3 Jumbo riders in peleton (there's no Roglic). Around 24k to go there are 3 Jumbo riders chasing with Roglic and one in peloton. I think it's Bennett, he grabs a bottle with 23,9 to go and one km later he drops to help Roglic.

^^This is like the Zapruder film!

I still find it hard to believe that neither Kuss, nor Gesink, nor even Dumoulin could have made it back to the main group with riders like Gaudu, especially how they looked in the first 4 stages. Especially I see this as a minor fail for Kuss. He barely looked to be breathing hard (yeah, I know it's a meme...) throughout most of the Tour and the start of the Vuelta. Now he's dropped on a medium mountain stage?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ok this is what happened just watching the available broadcast.
Amador drills the descent with Carapaz on his wheel. Jumbo disappears from the front (probably because of Roglic jacket problem). There are several splits but at the end of the descent some regrouping occurs. It doesn't take long for the other teams to realize Roglic is not there, hence an ISN rider starts pulling and a couple km later Movistar takes over.

How far were they behind?

I'm pretty sure Kuss was in that group. With 27k to go you can see 3 Jumbo riders in peleton (there's no Roglic). Around 24k to go there are 3 Jumbo riders chasing with Roglic and one in peloton. I think it's Bennett, he grabs a bottle with 23,9 to go and one km later he drops to help Roglic.
Interesting. I'll rewatch it later. To me it seemed there were never 4 Jumbos in that group but admittedly pictures were never particularly clear.

How far were they behind?
Impossible to tell. TV production should have adviced the heli to give us a broader view, but never did.
Perahps I'll try to take some reference point and estimate the gap later.

Reactions: Red Rick
Interesting. I'll rewatch it later. To me it seemed there were never 4 Jumbos in that group but admittedly pictures were never particularly clear.

2 Jumbos in front of the group, Roglic behind someone in red jacket and one more Jumbo behind him - screenshot
Few seconds after that there's one Jumbo rider (Bennett probably) taking a bottle in peloton with 23,9 to go.

Reactions: SafeBet
^^This is like the Zapruder film!

I still find it hard to believe that neither Kuss, nor Gesink, nor even Dumoulin could have made it back to the main group with riders like Gaudu, especially how they looked in the first 4 stages. Especially I see this as a minor fail for Kuss. He barely looked to be breathing hard (yeah, I know it's a meme...) throughout most of the Tour and the start of the Vuelta. Now he's dropped on a medium mountain stage?

It happens based on race circumstances (where he may have had to pull and empty tank early due to chasing) or weather.

Remember Schleck cracked on medium climb during bad weather day before descent into Gap. Two days later he won on the the Galibier.

Last edited:

you can get an idea by comparing his Strava file to Großschartner's, for example. According to that, Kuss lost around ~20s on the Cotefablo descent, (almost?) made it back on the false flat, but then exploded over the Búbal. So he started the Formigal ascent (final 14k) around 1:20 behind the peloton.

Kuss is one of the most ridiculous riders I've ever seen, keeping him on a leash the way Jumbots do is almost criminal.
He got a chance this Vuelta, then lost 10 minutes on Formigal. Probably has quite a lot to learn to be a GT rider, otherwise I honestly wouldn't mind if he basically takes Kruijswijks place.

That said, we don't get to see how good his climbing really is cause every time Roglic goes himself he just sits up. He might be one of the best in the world at a very narrow skillset, which isn't gonna be enough to win a Grand Tour.

TRENDING THREADS