• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Sergio Higuita discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He might not even make it into the Olympic team.

That would be nuts. He’s the only Colombian climber who would be favored in a small group finish.

Why would they not select him? Is it that they will be all in for one leader? Or is it that they will pick whoever they think are the strongest climbers and he might not be considered one?

Last edited:
That would be nuts. He’s the only Colombian climber who would be favored in a small group finish.
It wouldn't really. First of all, Jaramillo selections are always a party ride. He's able to bring the climbers to Qatar. Second, and more importantly, it's all about form. With Colombia being so insanely top heavy, it's very easy to miss the boat. Egan, Nairo, Superman, Higuita, Sosa, Dani, Uran, Chaves, even Betancur is showing signs of life. Picking 5 out of that list is a nightmare.

It wouldn't really. First of all, Jaramillo selections are always a party ride. He's able to bring the climbers to Qatar. Second, and more importantly, it's all about form. With Colombia being so insanely top heavy, it's very easy to miss the boat. Egan, Nairo, Superman, Higuita, Sosa, Dani, Uran, Chaves, even Betancur is showing signs of life. Picking 5 out of that list is a nightmare.

I agree that there is incredible depth among Colombian climbers and yes, you can at least make a case for five ahead of him as climbers. But Higuita is the only one who has high level finishing speed. Surely having at least one guy who would be an actual favourite in a small group is useful enough tactically for him to have the edge?

Last edited:

The problem is many of their riders aren't good at one day races. They took a team of climbers to the 2018 Worlds and none were close to the group that won. Quintana has shown time and again he's a stage racer not a one day racer. Uran is good at one day races, but can't stay healthy anymore. Chaves hasn't been healthy for several years now. Betancur hasn't shown to be very good in one day races. Sosa hasn't had time to show one way or another. Bernal is more of a stage racer. Dani and Higuita along with Uran are the best one day racers. I'm not sure about Lopez. Of that group Higuita has the best sprint to try to win from a small group. Higuita has the best shot at trying to beat Valverde, Martin, Alaphilippe in a small group.

If the Olympics were tomorrow he would be elected for sure.
If he continues to show form as in the last year I am certain that he would be a sure bet.

The other ones with one day pedigree are Uran, Chaves and Henao. And all of these riders are either below form or injured.

The problem is many of their riders aren't good at one day races. They took a team of climbers to the 2018 Worlds and none were close to the group that won. Quintana has shown time and again he's a stage racer not a one day racer. Uran is good at one day races, but can't stay healthy anymore. Chaves hasn't been healthy for several years now. Betancur hasn't shown to be very good in one day races. Sosa hasn't had time to show one way or another. Bernal is more of a stage racer. Dani and Higuita along with Uran are the best one day racers. I'm not sure about Lopez. Of that group Higuita has the best sprint to try to win from a small group. Higuita has the best shot at trying to beat Valverde, Martin, Alaphilippe in a small group.
Let's look at this name by name.
  • Nairo: I agree with the notion. Even if he somehow got back to his very best with Arkea, which is debatable, he wouldn't be a good pick. However, Jaramillo seems to have a hard on for him. I think he'll be within the team, unless he just does nothing all the way til August.
  • Uran: Well his health has been problematic, we can't just discard him because of it. Pure resume wise, he is probably the best Colombia has to offer as far as one day races go at the moment. The same applies to Chaves, who I haven't written off. His start to 2020 has been promising as well.
  • Egan and Sosa: both have been developing very well in the classics department. They were both very present in the finale of Lombardia, where Egan finished on the podium as well. Egan will do his first spring campaign this year as well. While Sosa's season hasn't been directed to the Olympics, he has shown he can wreak havoc as a domestique, which is another aspect of the squad we haven't discussed yet either.
  • Betancur: he was the best Colombian and one of the best in general in Yorkshire. While he will always remain a what if, he has started this season looking in decent shape. Pure talent wise, he may be Colombia's best one day racer. And yes, I am aware it'll probably remain at talent wise, because his next pay check seem more important than his next result.
  • Henao: I want to mention him as well. While I think he is absolutely done as a top rider and should have no business, for some inexplicable reason he is a very good championship rider. With Jaramillo, who knows.
While Higuita has a niche, the squad is too top heavy to say who should or who shouldn't make the team in February. You need the form, or else you can't go.

I did forget about Henao and like Uran if healthy would be a good pick. I still don't see anyone other than Higuita who has a real shot at out sprinting the better sprinters of the favorites group.
I wouldn't take Betancur simply because talent and results just don't come close to matching. Then again I wouldn't have re-signed him either for that same reason.
I also don't think riders who are racing the Tour for the overall and finish in Paris in general are likely to be good picks for the Olympics in general. The travel, time difference, etc is too great. That's the biggest reason I wouldn't take Bernal and likely Uran.

They will need 1-2 dedicated helpers on the team. Henao might end up being one of them. Anacona maybe also.

Then it is between Uran, Bernal, Quintana, Chaves and Higuita for the remaining spots. Whoever is having a good season and feeling fresh. Since at least Uran, Bernal and Quintana will be racing the Tour Im assuming.

I dont think they need a rouleur on the team. Other teams will be driving the peloton on flat parts. They just need someone to fetch bottles, that can pace the peloton uphill or that can go in a early break and be there later in the race if need be.

Bernal, Quintana and Uran are going to the Tour to try to win the overall. Meaning they are finishing in Paris and racing for GC. I thought in a different thread the conclusion was Valverde is the only rider who MIGHT be able to finish in Paris and still have a chance to win or medal at the Olympics. That even for him finishing in Paris would compromise his chances for a medal at the Olympics. Why would anyone be considering Uran, Bernal, and Quintana for the Olympics if they are racing for GC into Paris? Higuita, if he goes to the Tour, isn't going to be racing for GC. Same goes for Martinez and Chaves. Enric Mas has already said that his racing for GC at the Tour likely means he won't be going to the Olympics and Soler has said he's still hoping to go to the Olympics, but knows that's unlikely for the same reason as Mas. In both of their cases they'd be going to the Olympics as support riders.

Higuita, if he goes to the Tour, isn't going to be racing for GC. Same goes for Martinez and Chaves
Are you absolutely sure of this?

Uran is coming back from a serious injury and is yet to race anything since his crash during last Vuelta. Looks like he is not doing Colombia this year (I assume he would be on provisional startlist if that was the intention) so it looks like his recovery is not that fast, There's no certainty he will be back to a TdF leadership level by June, if ever.

Depending on how well they'll do in spring races, it may compell EF to back Higuita or Martinez for GC.

Reactions: Joelsim
Are you absolutely sure of this?

Uran is coming back from a serious injury and is yet to race anything since his crash during last Vuelta. Looks like he is not doing Colombia this year (I assume he would be on provisional startlist if that was the intention) so it looks like his recovery is not that fast, There's no certainty he will be back to a TdF leadership level by June, if ever.

Depending on how well they'll do in spring races, it may compell EF to back Higuita or Martinez for GC.

EF likely will back VanGarderen first if Uran isn't back.

I'm not sure they will but I'm also not sure they'll not.

I do think it's far more likely one of them will be the leader than Van Garderen. As I said, all will depend on their results this spring. Whoever between Woods, Uran, Higuita and Martinez will seem the strongest will most likely lead during the TdF, maybe there will be 2 co-leaders.

I would always take him to the Olympics, because he has a very specific (and rare) profile.
If he goes to the TDF, i'd put him in a free role. He can try to ride GC, but if that doesn't work out, go for stagewins. He should get team support, but not as sole GC leader. That's how i'd do it.

TRENDING THREADS