• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

blackcat said:
oldcrank said:
42x16ss said:
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Dont want to be a party pooper, but, do you guys know how it works in the top of sports? Yes, it is of inhuman, but, thats how it works, worked for decades.

My question is, who did Shane piss off so much he is now being dropped by British Cycling? It sure as hell cant be the bullocks of the female cyclist.
This man was a notorious sexist at Cycling Australia, playing heavy favourites with male and female riders and ruined careers. He has continued to do the same at BC. There are more people coming out to back up Varnish now that their careers are over and the list will only grow.
Please, my friend, tell us of one or two careers he "ruined" while "at Cycling Australia."
I'm sure you are aware of several, but just tell us about one or two, if you don't mind,
because it could strengthen the case against him.

was the establishment at all complicit in Dajka? I appreciate you cant blame the act on CA, but what happened here
You can blame CA for Dajka's death if you want, but you can't
blame Shane Sutton because he was coaching in the UK and
had nothing to do with Cycling Australia.

Benotti69 said:
TheSpud said:
Benotti69 said:
Shane Sutton called paralympians "Gimps" and "Wobblies".....despicable, never mind his sexism.

Technically off topic in a doping forum, but I guess it is part of the wider story (whether you believe it or not).

When a coach does not care a fig for the proper way to behave it is related to the clinic.

Whether you believe it or not!

Indeed - part of the wider story

blackcat said:
oldcrank said:
This "affair" is adding a bit of a new plot twist to
the latest Sir Brad doco currently in production.
It should make for some compelling viewing in a
few months down the road. I can't wait for it! :)

arent all anglophone national teams like this.

i remember Renshaw was persona non grata for a while. I remember that Zolder worlds where Mcewen could not get finishing support from Cooke and Ogrady, lets face it, they prolly could not have delivered him like azzurri and velo and peta and cipo, or the germans, even tho Robbie Mac headbutted Ete Zabel off Cipo's wheel. Think the yanks and the kiwis have similar problems. too political when type A's want leadership and support, Gerro v Matthews

British Athletics operate in a not disimilar way - in some cases the selection policies can be summarised as "we'll select who the hell we like for whatever reason we like". There is a feeling that funded athletes are favoured.

I think, in part, its a consequence of how the sports are funded from central government. Success is measured in terms of olympic medals etc. so its kind of understandable that selectors and coaches want as much autonomy as possible to select teams as their jobs are dependent on it.

Where this falls down is that deserving athletes don't get the chance to compete where they deserve. I've never run for GB but have been good enough that it was something that I felt was possible and eventually have been left very disillusioned by selection policies which appeared to give me very little hope of being selected, even if I did find good enough form.

simoni said:
British Athletics operate in a not disimilar way - in some cases the selection policies can be summarised as "we'll select who the hell we like for whatever reason we like". There is a feeling that funded athletes are favoured.

I think, in part, its a consequence of how the sports are funded from central government. Success is measured in terms of olympic medals etc. so its kind of understandable that selectors and coaches want as much autonomy as possible to select teams as their jobs are dependent on it.

Where this falls down is that deserving athletes don't get the chance to compete where they deserve. I've never run for GB but have been good enough that it was something that I felt was possible and eventually have been left very disillusioned by selection policies which appeared to give me very little hope of being selected, even if I did find good enough form.

I guess this is how a lot of federations, etc. operate. It doesn't surprise me that funded athletes are favoured - I guess (in theory) they are funded for the very reason that they are talented, etc. so you would expect them to be near the top of the pile.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
BC hits rock bottom?

UK Sport has asked British Cycling (BC) to investigate "as a matter of urgency" allegations official Team GB kit - including a high-performance bike - is being sold online for profit.

Former BC technical director Shane Sutton was asked to attend a meeting on Tuesday to discuss the claims.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/36157878

TheSpud said:
simoni said:

I guess this is how a lot of federations, etc. operate. It doesn't surprise me that funded athletes are favoured - I guess (in theory) they are funded for the very reason that they are talented, etc. so you would expect them to be near the top of the pile.

You'd hope so....however, this is a fairly contentious issue too. If they get those decisions wrong (and in athletics theres a feeling that its a bit of a case of "who you know" and who your coach happens to be) then you need to take decisions in selection to justify funding decisions. If the whole process is managed well then no problem. A lot of the time it isn't and aspiring athletes suffer as a consequence.

biker jk said:
BC hits rock bottom?

UK Sport has asked British Cycling (BC) to investigate "as a matter of urgency" allegations official Team GB kit - including a high-performance bike - is being sold online for profit.

Former BC technical director Shane Sutton was asked to attend a meeting on Tuesday to discuss the claims.

Clothing kit aside - are not the bikes developed by BC required under UCI rules to be available for purchase? At least to give the appearance they are - this would suggest that BC are using illegal equipment.

But in athletics you can measure performance a lot easier than 99.9% of jobs. You can say "you need to run faster than mm:ss to go to this competition", or "you need to finish in the top n of this qualifying race".

Alex Simmons/RST said:
biker jk said:
BC hits rock bottom?

Clothing kit aside - are not the bikes developed by BC required under UCI rules to be available for purchase? At least to give the appearance they are - this would suggest that BC are using illegal equipment.
They are it's the Cervelo S5 GB uses.

biker jk said:
BC hits rock bottom?

Didn't Bruyneel used to sell the Trek bikes to fund the _______ program? :rolleyes:

Re:

MatParker117 said:
Can see Pete's point there is no real ROI for sky in the women's Giro or women's racing, whereas the tour and men's racing offers Sky the chance to more than double there investment.

i'll be kind and just ask if you have a daughter matt?

as cyndi once opined...oh daddy dear we're not the fortunate ones....

Re:

MatParker117 said:
Can see Pete's point there is no real ROI for sky in the women's Giro or women's racing, whereas the tour and men's racing offers Sky the chance to more than double there investment.
Investing in women's cycling can turn into a more attractive sport, potentially resulting in a much higher ROI than investing in men's cycling (as it's much cheaper to sponsor). Of course that comes at the cost of higher risk, but such a move could also improve Sky's reputation.

No surprise that Kennaugh would say something like this though, he is widely known to be an arrogant ***.

gillan1969 said:
MatParker117 said:

No, but sky have to answer to it's shareholders and it would be hard to justify to them why they are putting money into a woman's team that does not give them anywhere near the exposure to justify the expense. I completely disagree with Pete's sentiment but I can see his point.

MatParker117 said:
gillan1969 said:
MatParker117 said:

No, but sky have to answer to it's shareholders and it would be hard to justify to them why they are putting money into a woman's team that does not give them anywhere near the exposure to justify the expense. I completely disagree with Pete's sentiment but I can see his point.

Pooley's comment's are not confined to a simple investment decision but to the partnership between public organisation (and money) and private firm...where the aims of one can be part-financed by the other...the question then being why just men...that was Pooley's question

thighs not thoughts Peter...or he could bring out a range of clothing..."shut up brain" ;)

gillan1969 said:
MatParker117 said:
gillan1969 said:
MatParker117 said:

Pooley's comment's are not confined to a simple investment decision but to the partnership between public organisation (and money) and private firm...where the aims of one can be part-financed by the other...the question then being why just men...that was Pooley's question

thighs not thoughts Peter...or he could bring out a range of clothing..."shut up brain" ;)

Because of the budget required to assemble a tour winning team and commercially from Sky's point of view that is where the cash should go.

MatParker117 said:
gillan1969 said:
MatParker117 said:
gillan1969 said:
MatParker117 said:

Because of the budget required to assemble a tour winning team and commercially from Sky's point of view that is where the cash should go.

Pooley is not having a go at Sky and their commercial decisions...they are between sky and their shareholders

She is having a go a BC for not treating the the male and the female arms of the sport in the same way and so when the partnership was reached with Sky the money went to the men and not the women...it was in the architecture

that architecture was, at least in part, governed by BC...Pooley thinks it was wrong and I agree

Peter is 'confused'...in more ways than one

realising his 'miscommunication' it is now deleted :)

as an aside...it would not cost much to send a team to the women's Giro...

Brailsford was 100% up for taking credit for helping women's cycling.

Look at this story that appeared all over the British press- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/28517286

Made the day after the first ever Female La Course. In other words the day women's cycling was getting the most press it had for years.

Brailsford just couldn't resist throwing his name in there so that he could get credit by association.

Of course, never was there any actual intention to develop women's cycling, just like with ZTP, Brailsford only wanted to take credit for it, not actually do it.

TRENDING THREADS