• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

Anyone apart from Daryl Webster know anything?

Slightly before my time though I did race with him a few times, loud and Australian but never heard anything concrete about him being dirty. To be fair, he was a good bike rider too, can't think of any 'unbelievable' performances.

Mods - let's get this one closed down. There's a million and one Sky threads, and it appears nobody has absolutely anything at all on Shane.

We could literally open a thread on anybody who has anything to do with a WT team in the desperate hope that somebody knows somebody who knows somebody that could smear some s***, at this rate.

If there is nothing to discuss then the thread will demonstrate that there is nothing on Sutton.

To demand it be shut down smacks of censorship. Afterall, about 3 weeks ago we didn't know that there was so much on Julich etc

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
Mods - let's get this one closed down. There's a million and one Sky threads, and it appears nobody has absolutely anything at all on Shane.

We could literally open a thread on anybody who has anything to do with a WT team in the desperate hope that somebody knows somebody who knows somebody that could smear some s***, at this rate.

No mate, let's not shut this one down. There's enough out there to nail Sutton on all fronts. It's not up to us to do the nailing - and if BC and SKY can't see it then they are complicit.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
There's a million and one ______ threads, and it appears nobody has absolutely anything at all on ________. That goes for more than half the threads in The Clinic. This is a discussion forum, people tend to discuss things here. Even exciting new teams that win by doing everything differently and better. Doesn't that last bit sound so 1999?

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
esafosfina said:
No mate, let's not shut this one down. There's enough out there to nail Sutton on all fronts. It's not up to us to do the nailing - and if BC and SKY can't see it then they are complicit.

I've said my bit elsewhere and it would appear a couple of other peeps also had had things to say to the Sunday Mail reporter a couple of weeks ago.
You don't have to go far with enquiries with those riding in the 80,s , early 90,s to find views on the guy that don't exactly sit with Sky,s stated intentions.
No, he never did test positive...neither did lots of others...:rolleyes:

Darryl Webster said:
I've said my bit elsewhere and it would appear a couple of other peeps also had had things to say to the Sunday Mail reporter a couple of weeks ago.
You don't have to go far with enquiries with those riding in the 80,s , early 90,s to find views on the guy that don't exactly sit with Sky,s stated intentions.

Sutton's results look like Froome's before Froome went gangbusters!

My old friend Colin Sturgess would fill in some gaps on Sutton. I think Colin has given up talking though!

King Of The Wolds said:

No harm in letting it run is there?

If there is a smear, surely if it has no grounds, I gather SS would have recourse to damages to the forum and the author could then be traced? - or how would such work?

Anyway, I note it was stated on another thread that Darryl W could elaborate but I gather he wishes not to in a public forum? Darryl?

Darryl Webster said:

Any links for the references above? Much thanks

Mrs John Murphy said:
Sutton and Rogers seem to be doing a very good job of staying out of the media-glare. Everything has focussed on Yates etc, the question is whether the media will keep digging or will go back to sleep.

The Sunday Telegraph had as their dominating picture of the front page "Yates in Yellow" and a headline - exclusive, BRITISH CYCLING STAR QUITS OVER DOPING as they broke the Yates story.

The Sky press release, put out late on Sunday, in response to that scoop is totally contradictory. (As was written on inner ring: ) either the press release is a lie or the story in the Telegraph is a lie, they cannot both be true - fact.

Gallagher needed to have a very, very, good source when his editor asked - is this playground chatter or genuine - how big do we go? And the major picture on the front page of the best selling broadsheet is big. I reckon only 5 individuals would have that "gravitas" in the eyes of the editor.

Whilst Sutton may not have a track record that includes any positives that resulted in sanctions (then again neither did Lance or Yates - so that proves absolutely nothing), many aspects of his "professional" behaviour are totally incompatible with that of an individual in the position of a National Coach. He has a track record of leaking stories to the press and playing at pundit. That this is further compromised by the conflict of interest "designed in" to that post-holder having employment with a trade team advertising a media empire, is just outrageous. [UK Sport - hang your head in shame - it is your "Saville" moment.]

Sutton obviously was feeling the heat after the piece in the Mail on Sunday, on the previous weekend. The "Employee" was not named but the responses of the "employee" were like those Sutton would utter.

Four of the five I can think of, only have motives for keeping the story hidden. Two of those four have so obviously acted to "call" the story a lie.

Gallagher knows who his source was, and so do Fran and Brailsford. The chances of us getting the truth from the 2 later individuals is about as great as the concept that Sean is just unfortunate in the timing of his "ill health" retirement, as the releases would attempt to have us believe.

The sad thing is the protection offered by the press being so cowardly in respect of Lance, was a major part in the reason why the con was perpetuated. Here was a single example of a paper exposing Sky. Sadly all the vomit inducing "Star Yates retires on health grounds - will be impossible to replace" stuff they published afterwards was not worthy. I am not sure quite what his managers think of what went on but hopefully Gallagher will, in the not too distant future, expose his source.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Freddythefrog said:
The Sunday Telegraph had as their dominating picture of the front page "Yates in Yellow" and a headline - exclusive, BRITISH CYCLING STAR QUITS OVER DOPING as they broke the Yates story.

The frustration you feel is coming through, plain as a day.

I wanted to say thanks - as someone in the antipodes - for your analysis and recounting of the timeline of scooped newsflash and subsequent laboured attempt at managing the PR around the scoop.

I am sure without your appraisal, we here would have gone on our merry ways none the wiser.

I got it wrong.

Freddythefrog said:

Gallagher needed to have a very, very, good source when his editor asked - is this playground chatter or genuine - how big do we go?

Sutton obviously was feeling the heat after the piece in the Mail on Sunday, on the previous weekend.

......I am not sure quite what his managers think of what went on but hopefully Gallagher will, in the not too distant future, expose his source

That was pretty dull of me. Have a look at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/

Brendan is getting the red carpet laid out for him by Fran. Access to all the stars. Treatment deluxe at Glasgow ?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Freddythefrog said:
That was pretty dull of me. Have a look at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/

Brendan is getting the red carpet laid out for him by Fran. Access to all the stars. Treatment deluxe at Glasgow ? Nope I don't think we are going to be getting news on his source anytime soon. I think "never" is how it stands right now.

"Brendan do you want to accompany Lance on his private jet to Texas ?"

:D

Don't beat yourself up too much - the system is broken.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Sutton has lost his memory of certain past events following his crash...

Rogers has been given time to look for a contract elsewhere. If not successful he may have to end up "in management" or retire young.

Has he been invited to go on holiday to Tenerife ?

Good old Brendan, this is hilarious ! He couldn't be doing it better if he was on the Sky payroll. Get the can of white paint out for Sutton !

The articles come thick and fast !
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...cumentary-restores-your-faith-in-cycling.html

"It has been easy to fall out of love with road cycling these past couple of months but Sky Atlantic's behind-the-scenes look at Bradley Wiggins goes a long way to rekindling that love affair.

"Shane Sutton, who in his sweet way is one of most unique and best coaches in sport, offers classic one-liners and cameo appearances too.

"The sight of Sutton – Wiggins mentor, cheer leader and father figure – dressed like a pizza delivery man on a scooter and wearing a helmet about three sizes too big was one to cherish as he set pace for Wiggins up Mount Teide in Tenerife, as was the shot of him ironing a clean white shirt on the landing of his temporary accommodation at Willie's Wheels bike shop in Porthcawl. "

HHMMM building bridges ?

Freddythefrog said:
Rogers gone.

When Julian Winn tested positive for Ephedrine at Guadeloupe in 2001, two other Brit riders also tested positive but came under the jurisdiction of British Cycling not Welsh Cycling. They were let off. Some guy at Welsh cycling resigned over pressure put on Welsh Cycling to forget about Winn's positive. Welsh coach Sutton was in the mix somehow. Managing the team at Guadeloupe and then giving Welsh Cycling a hard time? By 2002 he was at British Cycling. Who were the Brit riders, can anyone remember who was in the GB team ?

There was no GB team in Guadeloupe, just Wales. Made up of welsh riders only and Winn was the only rider tested. A dietary supplement was the source of the ephedrine, this was reflected in the reduced bad given. Independent analysis of the product backed up this reason.

Stories like this don't help, it's all BS from start to finish.

TRENDING THREADS