• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Electress said:
I could see it being Sutton, I must admit. Though I do note the almost total lack of interest being taken in the man who actually filled the jiffy bag.
Could see what being Sutton? The Jiffy bag story? The Varnish report leak? The Phelps report leak? The lot?
British Cycling is a fairly large organization filled with bullies that played favourites amongst the riders. I bet there are dozens of possible scenarios here. It feels like everyone is hyper-focused on only four or five people.

John Swanson

fmk_RoI said:
Electress said:
I could see it being Sutton, I must admit. Though I do note the almost total lack of interest being taken in the man who actually filled the jiffy bag.
Could see what being Sutton? The Jiffy bag story? The Varnish report leak? The Phelps report leak? The lot?

Jiffy bag, particularly, since someone purports to know what was in it. But it's all just speculation. I would have thought that a whole load of names are in the hat.

Electress said:
fmk_RoI said:
Electress said:

Jiffy bag, particularly, since someone purports to know what was in it. But it's all just speculation. I would have thought that a whole load of names are in the hat.
Well the funny thing about that, then, is that - according to the Daily Mail's sources - it's the Jiffy bag story that nixed his return.

For the Jiffy bag story, I imagine Cope will have told several people about it over time: it's the sort of thing he might brag about. (I disagree that people knew what was in it - there is a link being made between it and the TUE and an educated guess as to its contents, nothing more.) So yes, there's a lot of faces in the frame for that story.

thehog said:
No Sutton is farked, unemployable. Vinniecomb went down to China and came back with the Chinese police after him. No one is going there or any other Asian county. Trust me. Olympic track programs are government funded, no government is going to pay Karmarize Sutton a salary.

He was going for a job with the French Federation which he has now lost. Would have been inferring to Sutton mash up the French language.

"You stupid frogs, ya not eating a brioche for breakfast. Brad would eat nails and f%#ing kenlog. Now get training, ya not eating today!"

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
King also reiterated her comments from last year that she had not endured any sexism, saying that former technical director Shane Sutton – who was accused by Jess Varnish of sexist remarks – was tough on both men and women.

"For me personally, I never experienced any sexism," explained King. "With the likes of Shane Sutton, for me, my opinion was that he was a hard taskmaster, but he was a hard taskmaster for both men and women. While I was there, I got all the support that I needed to become the best bike rider that I could be."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/king-i-was-never-fearful-at-british-cycling/

Re:

Robert21 said:
King also reiterated her comments from last year that she had not endured any sexism, saying that former technical director Shane Sutton – who was accused by Jess Varnish of sexist remarks – was tough on both men and women.

"For me personally, I never experienced any sexism," explained King. "With the likes of Shane Sutton, for me, my opinion was that he was a hard taskmaster, but he was a hard taskmaster for both men and women. While I was there, I got all the support that I needed to become the best bike rider that I could be."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/king-i-was-never-fearful-at-british-cycling/

Dani King business partner of SKY RIDER Luke Rowe and fiancee of his brother.

Yeah she's inclined to drop a phlegmy one in the broth :rolleyes:

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

budegan said:

Ah, I see. When it comes to allegations of 'sexism', the only people one should believe are those with an agenda to promote, an axe to grind, a bug up their ass or a chip on their shoulder! :)

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Robert21 said:
budegan said:

Ah, I see. When it comes to allegations of 'sexism', the only people one should believe are those with an agenda to promote, an axe to grind, a bug up their *** or a chip on their shoulder! :)

Do you not think her connections are not worth pointing out when valuing her opinion?

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Do you not think her connections are not worth pointing out when valuing her opinion?
They are no more and no less worth pointing out than the fact that people like Cooke and Varnish might well have an agenda to push, or a personal grudge to settle, with their opinions also being measured in the light of that possibility.

Robert21 said:
Benotti69 said:
They are no more and no less worth pointing out than the fact that people like Cooke and Varnish might well have an agenda to push, or a personal grudge to settle, with their opinions also being measured in the light of that possibility.

Spot on with your post - I am interested in how King discussed BC which seems to have avoided scrutiny, unlike Sky.

Robert21 said:
Benotti69 said:
Why would Cooke have an axe to grind? One of the greatest women cyclists ever. For what reason would she want to get involved? What benefit for her/

King on the other hand has way more to lose. They can all be brought into the discussion but look at the realities.

Robert21 said:
budegan said:

Ah, I see. When it comes to allegations of 'sexism', the only people one should believe are those with an agenda to promote, an axe to grind, a bug up their *** or a chip on their shoulder! :)
Of course. What conflict of interest? :rolleyes:

Robert21 said:
Benotti69 said:
What axe does a retired World, Olympic, 2 x World Cup, Giro and 10 x national champion have to grind? Then there's Pooley backing her up word for word. I suppose you're blaming this entire episode on Pooley not taking credit for the Jiffy bag?

42x16ss said:
Robert21 said:
Benotti69 said:
What axe does a retired World, Olympic, 2 x World Cup, Giro and 10 x national champion have to grind? Then there's Pooley backing her up word for word. I suppose you're blaming this entire episode on Pooley not taking credit for the Jiffy bag?
Bingo!

42x16ss said:
You seriously can't see it? For reals? (Being a fan of Cooke, agreeing with what Cooke says, that should not stop anyone from seeing that she has - like most of us of many things - an agenda, an axe to grind, a score to settle.)

fmk_RoI said:
42x16ss said:
You seriously can't see it? For reals? (Being a fan of Cooke, agreeing with what Cooke says, that should not stop anyone from seeing that she has - like most of us of many things - an agenda, an axe to grind, a score to settle.)

Maybe she's just telling it like it was? Isn't that kinda normal? For someone to tell the truth?

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

thehog said:
Maybe she's just telling it like it was? Isn't that kinda normal? For someone to tell the truth?
One could say much the same of Dani King, Becky James, Jo Rowsell, Katy Marchant and Rochelle Gilmore all of whom have come out in defence of Sutton, not to mention all the male riders who also said that whilst he was not exactly 'PC' and a hard taskmaster, he was a great coach dedicated to getting the best from all the riders under his charge, both male and female.

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Robert21 said:
thehog said:
One could say much the same of Dani King, Becky James, Jo Rowsell, Katy Marchant and Rochelle Gilmore all of whom have come out in defence of Sutton, not to mention all the male riders who also said that whilst he was not exactly 'PC' and a hard taskmaster, he was a great coach dedicated to getting the best from all the riders under his charge, both male and female.
Is there some confusion here around the nature of bullying and sexism?

They don't exist as an all or nothing binary, it's not bully everyone or bully no-one. This isn't the way it happens in the real world, indeed it's not remotely uncommon for bullies to only bully a few people in a group and treat many others very well. This is the toxic dynamic they create. So the number of people who come out in support of Sutton is entirely irrelevant and the riders accusations of bullying stand on their own merits.

This sort of scenario plays out in domestic/relationship abuse cases all the time. The abuser behaves like a great person to everyone other than the person they are abusing and this makes it incredibly difficult for the abused to speak out as their claims will not seem credible. Indeed many people never believe them because the experience of the majority contrasts so starkly with the experience of the abused minority. The people who have been treated well, their experiences are real, they are not lying, there is no need to imagine any agendas, but their experience is irrelevant to that of the abused (I'm talking about emotional abuse here, physical abuse is a lot more obvious of course).

Robert21 said:
thehog said:

What a stupid post, as with any bullying and abuse, it is selective. The perpetrator picks out the victims and seeks retribution until he breaks them.

This is like saying a child abuser abuses all children, no, select, groom and abuse.

Sutton is no different in his given context hence why is was forced out and the report stated he sought to "kill off"
Varnish.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

thehog said:
as with any bullying and abuse, it is selective. The perpetrator picks out the victims and seeks retribution until he breaks them. This is like saying a child abuser abuses all children, no, select, groom and abuse.
Or, it could all be a matter of perception. For example, if you are particularly 'sensitive', have been brought up to believe that 'sexism' is rife everywhere you look, lack self confidence and so on, you might well react badly to an innocent comment that no one else would dwell on for a moment.

I think that your comment comparing Sutton to a child abuser, despite there being no independent evidence showing anything more than he was a 'hard task master' and failed to be sufficiently 'politically correct', well illustrates the mindset that is operating here.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Robert21 said:
thehog said:

Not exactly PC = Bullying and sexist.

The Bully doesn't pick on everybody.

Sutton no longer works for BC. I think that tells us everything.

Robert21 said:
thehog said:
as with any bullying and abuse, it is selective. The perpetrator picks out the victims and seeks retribution until he breaks them. This is like saying a child abuser abuses all children, no, select, groom and abuse.
Or, it could all be a matter of perception. For example, if you are particularly 'sensitive', have been brought up to believe that 'sexism' is rife everywhere you look, lack self confidence and so on, you might well react badly to an innocent comment that no one else would dwell on for a moment.

I think that your comment comparing Sutton to a child abuser, despite there being no independent evidence showing anything more than he was a 'hard task master' and failed to be sufficiently 'politically correct', well illustrates the mindset that is operating here.

Alas not, that was your correlation. I used the term "given context"; which demonstrates you're looking for anyway to given Sutton a pass.

As it stands Sutton has been booted out never to work in cycling again and Varnish is a hero to many for standing up for what is right. She is also likely to sue British Cycling to recover her loses.

Those are the facts rather than the "alternative facts" world you live in :cool:

TRENDING THREADS