• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should intervals be done in or out of the saddle?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Given that I rarely get out of the saddle when racing, climbing, etc Should most of my intervals also be in the saddle?

Is there much benefit to doing out of the saddle intervals other than for sprint training?
I have no problems getting my HR up high enough in the saddle for over 45secs, but can't get as high power, HR, etc for under this.

Indurain said:
Is there much benefit to doing out of the saddle intervals other than for sprint training?

Not in my opinion. For that matter it might be worth doing a fair portion of you sprint work in the saddle as well or at the very least while maintaining as aero a standing position as possible.

YMMV,

Hugh

If you hardly ever get out of the saddle I think you'd be best advised to stay in the saddle when doing your intervals too, personally. Getting out of the saddle will let you produce more power, but that's a function of the mechanics of the position. I don't think it will necessarily give you any great gains over staying in the saddle if that's how you would ride the majority of the time.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Do you think the power gains, improvement from intervals out of the saddle will also transfer to the same power gains, improvement, etc in the saddle?

Indurain said:
Thanks for the reply. Do you think the power gains, improvement from intervals out of the saddle will also transfer to the same power gains, improvement, etc in the saddle?

Specificity, specificity, specificity = no but they would transfer to out of the saddle sprints.

Hugh

Train how you race, race how you train. If you're most comfortable attacking seated, do your strength intervals seated. Prizes are handed out for results, not technique.

There will be some crossover with improvement in/out of the saddle, but the best way to get better at attacking out of the saddle is to practice it.

Easy mate. Just do both.

Do one in the saddle and the next out of the saddle.

Either way you are trying to stimulate mitochondrial efficiency so both will work.

As long as you are hitting your cadence and power numbers that is all that matters.

Aim for around 90-110 cadence. All the worlds fastest TT or climbers sit around that. Sprinters more like 110-130.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Depends on your objective. Out of the saddle is better if you want to gain muscle mass. Both in and out of the saddle are okay if you only care about explosiveness.

TRENDING THREADS