• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should the riders be allowed to ride without helmets on the MTFs?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should the riders be allowed to ride without helmets on the MTFs?

• Murderer!You want them dead,don't you?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Escarabajo said:
Very few times the speeds are really low (Angliru, Zoncolan) where you don't need a helmet. Even there, a small crash can crack your head open.

The irony is that it's only at that those low speeds that a cycle helmet will be much protection.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
yeah how many riders have died crashing on a mountaintop finish without helmets? :rolleyes: remember lance armstrong crash? that's about as bad as it gets

hrotha said:
Well, you can check videos of old stages to see how it was. Pretty chaotic. Not more dangerous than getting bottles from the team car, mind you, but chaotic.

I say keep the helmets on. They're used to them by now.

Most don't wear one when training, even in a group, sometimes not even in training camps. Most wear them because they are paid to wear them. Some stages they are probably a good idea and in a BIG bunch, first week of the race, nervous riders, probably. BUT MTF, no decent, no big groups, warm day. I would bet if they had the option, most would take 'em off.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Indeed, I'm all for no helmets at MTF of category 1 or HC.

Most professional cyclists train without helmets anyway which is a lot more dangerous than what the OP is proposing. Perhaps the UCI should put a rule on that and fine athletes that are seen without helmets on training rides instead of this bull****.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
several posters have asserted that "most pros train without a helmet."

this is not true. while some don't, many teams have policies that state team sponsor equipment shall be worn when training and most (as in more than 50% of) pros also figure since they have to wear it in the race they might as well get comfortable with it during training. check out rabobank's, astana's and (last year's) radioshack's training camp photos.
here are michael barry and dominick rollin.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
If marketing / viewing pleasure is an issue, then you should focus on improving that without removing the safety aspect. Why don't cyclist do more with their helmets? Look at F1 as example, all riders have their own styled helmets there. I think in cycling they should do that too.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
gregod said:
several posters have asserted that "most pros train without a helmet."

this is not true. while some don't, many teams have policies that state team sponsor equipment shall be worn when training and most (as in more than 50% of) pros also figure since they have to wear it in the race they might as well get comfortable with it during training. check out rabobank's, astana's and (last year's) radioshack's training camp photos.
Wasn't it Rabobank who were fining riders not wearing helmets a year or two ago?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
the point is that accidents happen without helmet. I simply point out that it';s bs. no injurys during crashes in a climb that I can remember

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
If I was the rider on a MTF and had the choice; I'd take my helmet off for cooling. Nothing like a block of styrofoam to remind you how hot it is. Practically speaking it doesn't make sense under current rules unless the rider's and sponsors want to see them tossing souveniers to the fans.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Not picking on the above poster because plenty of posts have the same concern, but how would it be more chaotic than the feed station?

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
maybe because unlike a feed zone at a bottom of the climb you do care about your position in the group, no?

it is not a relevant issue for me, but if the riders were really allowed to choose in this "helmet saga" i guess some of them would have still ridden without it no matter whether it is a mtf or a technical descend...

only at the beginning of the final climb!!!

Once they start the final climb, they should be able to discard or hand off to a team car or neutral vehicle if they choose.

There should be a speed limit as they approach the selection portion of the climb so that it is not very chaotic. We don't need the entire peloton tossing their helmet like a college graduation while traveling a flat section at 35-45 km/h.

Just my .02 I realize I am in the minority and don't care. I am used to that with cyclists.

Yes, a lot of it is for aesthetics and if you want to flame me for sacrificing safety for aesthetics go ahead. But I am talking about them traveling uphill at likely no more than 25 km/h.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Kvinto said:
maybe because unlike a feed zone at a bottom of the climb you do care about your position in the group, no?

it is not a relevant issue for me, but if the riders were really allowed to choose in this "helmet saga" i guess some of them would have still ridden without it no matter whether it is a mtf or a technical descend...

You know they didn't put their foot down and unclip their helmets, they would just toss them. Watch the DVDs. The scenarios described are things that must not have made it to video or TV. Also I think the question if MTF nothign about descents. Just sayin'.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I miss the days of no helmets. Let's face it, cycling was better when you could see the riders. :D

Despite that feeling, however, I voted no, just plain no. It's not all about our entertainment. I'd rather see riders in helmets than see riders dead, or with brain injuries.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Nick C. said:
You know they didn't put their foot down and unclip their helmets, they would just toss them. Watch the DVDs. The scenarios described are things that must not have made it to video or TV. Also I think the question if MTF nothign about descents. Just sayin'.

Exactly, and that is what i wouldn't like to see in the modern cycling (EDIT: especially considering how do they toss their bottles sometimes).

As for descents i'm talking in general what it would look like if the riders were allowed to do whatever they think is convenient.

well i guess i get it now.if THEY ARE PAID TO wear them and you get some money for wearing a helmet on the MTF's it's fine.but i hope those helmet sponsors pay them well for going uphill in a 50 degrees vuelta with a stupid plastic on your head

anyway if rothschild makes the breakaway league,please guys give them more money from the tv revenues and let them ride the mtfs without helmets.better tv,better for the riders,better everything.

lol i guess there are millions out there who don't know gadret is bald.
probably the schlecks are the happiest persons in the world that they have to ride with a helmet.they look more complicated and bad-asz that way.also virenque needed one

Maxiton said:
I miss the days of no helmets. Let's face it, cycling was better when you could see the riders. :D

Despite that feeling, however, I voted no, just plain no. It's not all about our entertainment. I'd rather see riders in helmets than see riders dead, or with brain injuries.

The riders hace a greater chance of killing themselves while walking to the sign-in with cleats on than they do climbing without a helmet.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned before, voted no. 2 years back a friend of mine fell during a race, with a helmet on. He got a severe trauma, and it took him a year and a half to talk, walk and interact the same way he did before the accident. W/o a helmet he'd been dead.
Even though the chance is small you fall whilst riding on a mountain and a helmet might not be needed, most riders still have to descend afterwards(in which case they really could use a helmet indeed).

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The riders hace a greater chance of killing themselves while walking to the sign in with cleats on than they do climbing without a helmet.
only if they are walking with peedsplays :D