• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Should triathletes be allowed on bikes?

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
triscott1 said:
I will be happy to address some of the points brought up in this year old thread.

1. Triathletes that post on slow twitch could care less about this cycling forum. Having seen the average number of people on this forum at any one time it looks like most road cyclist could care less too because the most I have seen is about 10 people. It seems real road cyclist post on bikeforums.net by the numbers there.

2. To talk smack about any cyclist is stupid as if some Euro-poser want-to-be road cyclist is any better than a Triathlete or a Mt. biker.

3. Having raced all three I have to say that being a Triathlete is much harder of the three if that matters at all. To each his own and to compare them is stupid.

4. As to the original point of the thread, road safety, yes it’s not smart to do a group ride with a TT bike. Almost all Triathletes know that and spend the vast majority of time training by themselves because unlike a road race we can’t take a nap in the peloton while drafting. There is nothing more twitchy or dangerous than a Cat 5 road race where nobody knows what they are doing. However if you want to compare bike handling skills Mt. bikers beat everybody.

5. M-Dot tattoo. Yes, it might be silly but no more than any other tattoo. Finishing an Ironman is quite an accomplishment. Doing a century is nothing more than a good training ride. A road race is too short to care about and racing a crit is a joke endurance wise. Yes, I have seen plenty of tattoos on road racers, and Triathletes could really care less so why do you?

6. Fitness. You can’t beat a Triathlete pure and simple when it comes to fitness. We swim with the best, ride a bike like a road racer and run marathons like runners. So why this issue even comes up on this forum is beyond me. I have seen plenty of road racers that do TT worry about the dude that shows up and wins that nobody knows because is usually a Triathlete using the race for training or for fun. Either way experienced triathletes can hang with most road racers.

7. For the number of posts by the same people in this thread one can assume they have no life, no job, or need to train more because they spend way too much time trying to entertain themselves in this forum. I wouldn’t have even known about this forum if someone didn’t bring it up on slow twitch and I had nothing do to for a few minutes. I have to admit this exercise in forum bashing has been mildly entertaining just because of the sad nature of the people in this tread.

The defence presents - exhibit A

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
triscott1 said:
I will be happy to address some of the points brought up in this year old thread.

1. Triathletes that post on slow twitch could care less about this cycling forum. Having seen the average number of people on this forum at any one time it looks like most road cyclist could care less too because the most I have seen is about 10 people. It seems real road cyclist post on bikeforums.net by the numbers there.

2. To talk smack about any cyclist is stupid as if some Euro-poser want-to-be road cyclist is any better than a Triathlete or a Mt. biker.

3. Having raced all three I have to say that being a Triathlete is much harder of the three if that matters at all. To each his own and to compare them is stupid.

4. As to the original point of the thread, road safety, yes it’s not smart to do a group ride with a TT bike. Almost all Triathletes know that and spend the vast majority of time training by themselves because unlike a road race we can’t take a nap in the peloton while drafting. There is nothing more twitchy or dangerous than a Cat 5 road race where nobody knows what they are doing. However if you want to compare bike handling skills Mt. bikers beat everybody.

5. M-Dot tattoo. Yes, it might be silly but no more than any other tattoo. Finishing an Ironman is quite an accomplishment. Doing a century is nothing more than a good training ride. A road race is too short to care about and racing a crit is a joke endurance wise. Yes, I have seen plenty of tattoos on road racers, and Triathletes could really care less so why do you?

6. Fitness. You can’t beat a Triathlete pure and simple when it comes to fitness. We swim with the best, ride a bike like a road racer and run marathons like runners. So why this issue even comes up on this forum is beyond me. I have seen plenty of road racers that do TT worry about the dude that shows up and wins that nobody knows because is usually a Triathlete using the race for training or for fun. Either way experienced triathletes can hang with most road racers.

7. For the number of posts by the same people in this thread one can assume they have no life, no job, or need to train more because they spend way too much time trying to entertain themselves in this forum. I wouldn’t have even known about this forum if someone didn’t bring it up on slow twitch and I had nothing do to for a few minutes. I have to admit this exercise in forum bashing has been mildly entertaining just because of the sad nature of the people in this tread.

Glad you got that off your chest!

(I had to take time off from work, skip my training ride, excuse myself from volunteering to help disadvantaged youth in inner cities, and tell my grandparents I couldn't clean the gutter just to type this response!)

fatsprintking said:
The defence presents - exhibit A

The prosecution's exhibit A. Guess where this dooshwhale came from? Yup, triathlon.

6a00d83451b18a69e20168e75ff595970c-320wi

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
triscott1 said:

1. And we could care less about the slowtwitch guys, it's just fun laughing at them. ;)

2. When a triathlete does something stupid, there's not harm in having a bit of fun about it. Got to learn to laugh at yourself.

6. Not if there are sharp corners or technical sections in the road race. Don't you know triathletes only know how to go straight. :p

7. So your a slowtwitch poster, let me tell you, for the number of posts in that forum one can assume they have no life, no job, or need to train more because they spend way too much time trying to entertain themselves in that forum.
Seriously though, you say we have no life because we like to talk about cycling online? :rolleyes: This thread is just a fun thread for when we need a laugh and a break from the debates we have in the other sub forums.

It's always funny when triathlete finds this thread and gets upset, provokes great reactions. :D

Fus087 said:
It's the same here. I get passed by them regularly (I'm not that good), and they never acknowledge my greeting.
To each his own, I guess. If they want to be that kind of person...:rolleyes:

And this is what I find so entertaining. I ride in an area with lots of triathletes and lots of road riders/racers and lots of MTBrs. Two groups never say hi back or wave - triathletes and MAMILs (middle aged men in lycra - dudes who 'race' only fondos and treat all training rides like races).

triscott1 said:
On your mark ready set let's go
Dance floor pro I know you know
I go psycho when my new joint hit
Just can't sit
Gotta get jiggy wit it
Ooh that's it
Now honey honey come ride
D-K-N-Y all up in my eye
You gotta Prada bag with a lotta stuff in it
Give it to your friend let's spin
Everybody lookin' at me
Glancin the kid
Wishin they was dancin' a jig
Here with this handsome kid
Ciga-cigar right from Cuba-Cuba
I just bite it
It's for the look I don't light it
Ill-way the an-may on the ance-day orr-flay
Giving up jiggy make it feel like foreplay
Yo my cardio is infinite (ha ha)
Big Willie Style's all in it
Gettin' Jiggy Wit It

That's more like it.

Dooooooooosh

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Ya, but their defense is about endurance, fitness and which sport is harder when the real charge is that triathletes are tw*ts :p

I think I meant to say "The prosecution" but in the context of the discussion I was defending the right for us to call triathlets t---ts based on the eveidence presented by the poster.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
triscott1 said:

All of which fails to demonstrate that your fitness is a skill-set

I love the effort made to let us know they don't care...
'I'm going to post on my own forum to say I don't care, then I'm going to go on their forum to say I don't care... oh, and that I'm better than them just to make sure they know I don't care...

gotta love pt.3 - I'm going to compare them, say which I find harder, then say it's stupid to compare...

tw*t

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
25mph Crash finish at Hickory Grove Triathlon Colo, Iowa. At 140 PSI the rear tire blew off rim and locked up. Tire was rated at 175PSI but rim only rated at 125PSI.

Bicycle tire pressure causes Crash at 25mph
I'm a tall person,this 14mile triathlon race had rolling hills where I could get 40 mph downhills and roll up the hills, I was using a 56 and 66 tooth front chain rings and 11-34 cassette and 192.5 crankarms, the torque is much like using a bike with 42/56 by 11-25 with 170 cranks but I find the longer crank arms and slower cadence keeps my heart rate down. also look at the way I pass the guy with the low gear and high cadence? Check out my other video (The 2012 Iowa State Cy-Man Triathlon)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
25mph Crash finish at Hickory Grove Triathlon Colo, Iowa. At 140 PSI the rear tire blew off rim and locked up. Tire was rated at 175PSI but rim only rated at 125PSI.

Bicycle tire pressure causes Crash at 25mph
I'm a tall person,this 14mile triathlon race had rolling hills where I could get 40 mph downhills and roll up the hills, I was using a 56 and 66 tooth front chain rings and 11-34 cassette and 192.5 crankarms, the torque is much like using a bike with 42/56 by 11-25 with 170 cranks but I find the longer crank arms and slower cadence keeps my heart rate down. also look at the way I pass the guy with the low gear and high cadence? Check out my other video (The 2012 Iowa State Cy-Man Triathlon)[/QUOTE

66 tooth chainring, 192.5 cranks!!!! 11-34 cassette....

You might think it would be a good idea to learn how to use stuff before it is needed in a race...

"I was stood on the roadside today at IM 70.3 UK about 2/3 way through the first lap of the bike. A male competitor stopped right next to me with a rear wheel puncture. He pulled out his puncture repair kit which consisted of two CO2 cartridges, with a valve adaptor, and one bottle of puncture gloop. He removed the valve core on his inner tube, inserted the punture goo and then started fiddling with the CO2. Suddenly the CO2 started to exit the canister and he jammed it onto the valve, fiddling with the adaptor. No luck, none of the CO2 went into the inner tube. Second CO2, exactly the same. He then stands up and looks at me. I said, "do you have a pump?" Nope. So I run down the road and find a cyclist spectating who has a pump. I run back to the guy and give him the pump. He pumps away, but it's clear that the goop has not sealed the inner tube. So I asked "do you have a spare inner tube?". Nope. At this point a motorbike marshall stops. I asked him if there was a mechanical van anywhere close. Nope. The closest one is about 10 miles away. So the guy starts walking along the road with his bike. 10 mins later I heard over the marshals radio the guy's bib number and DNF. "

veganrob said:
Surprise that crash would even happen. Triathletes avoid the front brake like the plague.
Brilliant! Notice that the guy going over the bars has full TT rig with helmet and the other is on an old roadie, with flat pedals and boardshorts? If I used all that gear and still had the same ride time I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a video comera :D

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
triscott1 said:

Please tell me you didn't just play the "that forum is better than this forum" card. :(

a crit is a joke endurance wise.
So that must be why so many triathletes completely dominate the crit scene? :rolleyes:

6. Fitness. You can’t beat a Triathlete pure and simple when it comes to fitness. We swim with the best..
Of whom?

ride a bike like a road racer
Is that right? On a different bike, on a different type of course, you ride like a "road racer." Cool story, bro.

I have seen plenty of road racers that do TT worry about the dude that shows up and wins that nobody knows because is usually a Triathlete using the race for training or for fun.
Link please.

7. For the number of posts by the same people in this thread one can assume they have no life, no job, or need to train more because they spend way too much time trying to entertain themselves in this forum.
Internet insult #3. You'll have to do better than that.

Lemme guess, your favorite pre-race soundtrack is Eye of the Tiger?

You know what Tony thinks of triathletes...

75058_4778074845002_307777124_n.jpg

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Yea I've had my *** kicked by many a TriGuy on the flats but that doesn't mean he's not a Tool.

On a side note: I have been cycling since before down tube index shifting was the greatest improvement in technology. Back when Tri guys rode road bikes. Remember the Dave Scott centurion? those were cool and he was the last tri guy to ride a bike up a hill I am sure of it.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I have never seen any of those. If I do then I will laugh. They'll probably be right next to someone's 10K or 26.2 sticker on a back window.

What I really want to see is someone with century tattoo. That would be hilarious.

I just now learned what that 26.2 sticker means thanks.

I thought is was a vintage SR seat post diameter . :cool:

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Boeing said:
I just now learned what that 26.2 sticker means thanks.

I thought is was a vintage SR seat post diameter . :cool:

It means that they ran 33 yards short of a marathon. What could make someone give up so close to the finish line and then brag about it:confused: