• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Should triathletes be allowed on bikes?

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

lemon cheese cake said:
King Boonen said:
Archibald said:
King Boonen said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Litespeed-Tachyon-Titanium-Bike-/171698975973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fa0e74e5

It's just so aero! :D
as the wheels say; "American Classic"
I can't stop looking at it!

The dude must think it's going to sell for a huge amount based on the page views :D
The amount of views is for how ridiculus the bike looks. Im surprised Tony Martin and co havent got into bikes like that yet. :D
file under: laughing AT, not WITH

tumblr_ns56ooHQvW1swtjjuo1_500.gif

This probably belongs here too. (from the caption this thread)

Re:

42x16ss said:
Ah, the forum that just keeps on giving...

superglue n pantyhose - genius!!

sportsbra post was a gem too...

and this "keep your jersey closed.. A wasp flew right in and decided to sting me several times whilst riding 40 kph". Coz those wasps fly straight for you, and make that decision :rolleyes: he should definitely have been more aero to prevent that one :D

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

BigMac said:
Does not compute.

OTOH, Lionel Sanders held the Mt. Lemmon Strava KOM until a while ago.

Tri boy can climb.

Must be a computer glitch ....

I was out riding near Elstree [ 3years ago] and I came upon another cyclist. We got chatting and he told me he was ranked 6th tri athlete in GB.
Anyway we came to a long drag rise . I did my usual out of the seat arse wiggle and went in front, I looked back and he was dropped. I slowed down and he said that his coach told him not to ride out of his seat " uses up energy" I was hardly putting the gas down. I was shocked. 6th in britain :eek: I definitely have seen tri's getting out of the seat since "on the telly"

Depends on the tri Ray but the bike section has basically become a rest when they can ride in groups. As such I'm not surprised that they're taught to be as efficient as possible. Working to drop everyone, only to get caught at the end or start the 10k with 30 seconds lead and no energy left is a sure fire way to lose.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Depends on the tri Ray but the bike section has basically become a rest when they can ride in groups. As such I'm not surprised that they're taught to be as efficient as possible. Working to drop everyone, only to get caught at the end or start the 10k with 30 seconds lead and no energy left is a sure fire way to lose.
This is why I could never be a triathlete. I am a strong swimmer, a good cyclist (especially against triathletes my age) but I am a terrible runner. If I tried to go all out in the first two legs maybe I could get a big lead, but then I'll walk the 10km, then lose 30 minutes. :eek:

It depends on how much they diversify their training, just like cycling. There are tri guys with good results on flat courses who do a lot of their training indoors, or only on the flats, while there are others who understand that the best way to build strength is to actually get out and ride some hills and do true speed work. I think you can guess which type of training the very best guys do ;)

When I've assisted triathletes with their training I've always pushed them to diversify, getting them to do things like ride crits (especially if they want to race draft legal), get off the trainer and up in the hills and change their sessions to include intervals and builds rather than smashing at just under race pace. It can take time to get them to see the benefits but once they do they become much better all round bike riders.

I remember around 12 years ago, Chris McCormack realised that the best way for him to improve on the bike was to look beyond the triathlon scene and started hitting up roadies around Sydney for tips on training and technique. He went from a strong, but somewhat clumsy diesel, to someone who could make a difference on the bike in draft legal triathlon fairly quickly. His bike leg got good enough to win him races in draft legal ITU.

triathlon=

be there or there abouts on the swim

good transition

sit in and conserve on the bike

great transition

CRUSH the run if you have anything left

Ironman=
a completely different approach

read Norman Stadler or Nina (the machina) Kraft & Thomas Hellrigel when it comes to IM / triathlete cycling chops

yes!!
Triathletes should be allowed on a bike

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
It depends on how much they diversify their training, just like cycling. There are tri guys with good results on flat courses who do a lot of their training indoors, or only on the flats, while there are others who understand that the best way to build strength is to actually get out and ride some hills and do true speed work. I think you can guess which type of training the very best guys do ;)

When I've assisted triathletes with their training I've always pushed them to diversify, getting them to do things like ride crits (especially if they want to race draft legal), get off the trainer and up in the hills and change their sessions to include intervals and builds rather than smashing at just under race pace. It can take time to get them to see the benefits but once they do they become much better all round bike riders.

I remember around 12 years ago, Chris McCormack realised that the best way for him to improve on the bike was to look beyond the triathlon scene and started hitting up roadies around Sydney for tips on training and technique. He went from a strong, but somewhat clumsy diesel, to someone who could make a difference on the bike in draft legal triathlon fairly quickly. His bike leg got good enough to win him races in draft legal ITU.

I agree, I was just shocked how much he dropped back [ being ranked 6th GB] even if he was on some kind of
training plan. Killing it on a bike makes sense. The easier the bike ride the more you would have left for the run. Its a tough sport.

Re:

Boeing said:
I have asked this before and contemplated it many times and discussed it in group rides to no avail with no answer until today. The question is, here in socal anyway,: WTF with the sleeveless tank top jerseys and arm warmers on all these tri people?

Again I will admit the arm-candy look works for me on some of these babes who Tri. (and there are some serious nuggets in that sport, a topic we ignore) kinda a throw back material girl goth look...mmmmm

But then it occurred to me that they probably bought arm warmers thinking they were compression garments on sale.

They're arm coolers, nor warmers. Keep uv rays off arms - crucial, it seems, when doing ironman in the sun. I've taken to wearing them on road rides, as 30+ years of riding has damaged the skin a bit, even with sunscreen.

ray j willings said:
BigMac said:
Does not compute.

OTOH, Lionel Sanders held the Mt. Lemmon Strava KOM until a while ago.

Tri boy can climb.

Must be a computer glitch ....

I was out riding near Elstree [ 3years ago] and I came upon another cyclist. We got chatting and he told me he was ranked 6th tri athlete in GB.
Anyway we came to a long drag rise . I did my usual out of the seat arse wiggle and went in front, I looked back and he was dropped. I slowed down and he said that his coach told him not to ride out of his seat " uses up energy" I was hardly putting the gas down. I was shocked. 6th in britain :eek: I definitely have seen tri's getting out of the seat since "on the telly"
Maybe after you dropped him like that he started a thread on a tri forum titled "Other cyclists ahhhhhhhhh"

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site

Soloist said:
Boeing said:
I have asked this before and contemplated it many times and discussed it in group rides to no avail with no answer until today. The question is, here in socal anyway,: WTF with the sleeveless tank top jerseys and arm warmers on all these tri people?

Again I will admit the arm-candy look works for me on some of these babes who Tri. (and there are some serious nuggets in that sport, a topic we ignore) kinda a throw back material girl goth look...mmmmm

But then it occurred to me that they probably bought arm warmers thinking they were compression garments on sale.

They're arm coolers, nor warmers. Keep uv rays off arms - crucial, it seems, when doing ironman in the sun. I've taken to wearing them on road rides, as 30+ years of riding has damaged the skin a bit, even with sunscreen.

no the sleeves on a sleeveless jersey. not the white sunblock things. why wear sunblock arm sleeve in a tank top? so like no sunscreen on arms but a load of sunscreen on shoulder?

for the record, I just completed a weeks ride with some tri people in with us and I went into this in shape. I got absolutely pummeled by two of them. They were in sick fitness. And they were such ar$$2s about it. Constant strava updates and body fat % discussions at dinner types. I couldn't say anything because I got dropped hard. the good news was they were on proper road bikes with drop bars. Smart enough to know they needed hands near brakes so props to them for that

TRENDING THREADS