• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Should triathletes be allowed on bikes?

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
King Boonen said:
What about loses in pedalling efficiency through larger ratio differences in gears?
Have a reference for that? It takes quite a large change in pedal speed for there to be much impact on efficiency. Certainly more than difference from changing one cog tooth, which represents a 6-7% change in gear or roughly 6-8 rpm.

Nope, that's why I put a question mark.

If you're running 1x then surely you're going to want to run a 10T and I'd guess you wouldn't want smaller than a 48T at the front. As far as I know that means you have to use a 10-42 (11-speed) which gives steps of 20%, 16.7%, 14.3%, 12.5%, 16.7%, 14.3%, 16.7%, 14.3%, 12.5% and 16.7% (thanks Sheldon!). This would mean the smallest changes in gear are pretty much double the 6-7% you mention. Do you think that's likely to impact pedalling efficiency?

King Boonen said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
King Boonen said:
What about loses in pedalling efficiency through larger ratio differences in gears?
Have a reference for that? It takes quite a large change in pedal speed for there to be much impact on efficiency. Certainly more than difference from changing one cog tooth, which represents a 6-7% change in gear or roughly 6-8 rpm.

Nope, that's why I put a question mark.

If you're running 1x then surely you're going to want to run a 10T and I'd guess you wouldn't want smaller than a 48T at the front. As far as I know that means you have to use a 10-42 (11-speed) which gives steps of 20%, 16.7%, 14.3%, 12.5%, 16.7%, 14.3%, 16.7%, 14.3%, 12.5% and 16.7% (thanks Sheldon!). This would mean the smallest changes in gear are pretty much double the 6-7% you mention. Do you think that's likely to impact pedalling efficiency?
Why would you use such a ridiculous rear cogset for a relatively flat terrain TT event?

More likely you'll use a straight block from 11T and up and choose a front ring to suit your speed/power level on the course.

No one said it was a flat TT, I picked a set up that would mimic a fairly typical gear spread allowing someone to ride their bike wherever they needed. If you don't need the 39T in the first place you might as well have dumped it to save the weight anyway. While this is interesting it's massively off-topic from even the post that lead to it which was specifically about the drag of the second chainring, so I think that's the last I'll say on it.

sienna said:
simo1733 said:
Wow.They're a different breed.
I had a guy on a TT bike abuse the hell out of me because I drafted him for a couple of kms.
I told him to buy a car.
I've never understood why people get bent out of shape from being drafted. I take it as a compliment if someone can't pull through. They can sit there as long as they like. Why would I care?

I think it's common courtesy to ask if it's OK to sit on someone's wheel. Plenty of people have been brought down by some hubbard from behind. You ride up and say hello, introduce yourself and you might even make a new friend. Why is that not a reasonable thing to expect?

What would you think if someone walked right behind you for ten minutes, following your every move?

Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
I think it's common courtesy to ask if it's OK to sit on someone's wheel. Plenty of people have been brought down by some hubbard from behind. You ride up and say hello, introduce yourself and you might even make a new friend. Why is that not a reasonable thing to expect?

What would you think if someone walked right behind you for ten minutes, following your every move?
Agreed. I just pull over as far left as I can and force them to have a conversation with me. If they can only stay with me because they were drafting they figure it out pretty quickly.

Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:

It's not quite the same. Someone drafting on a bike is there for a reason that isn't "follow your every move and be creepy". They'll only follow you while they're getting a benefit, and while you're going the same way they would have been going anyway. But sure, it's better to introduce yourself and be social. It's absolutely reasonable to expect. But I don't get bent out of shape if they don't.

(I don't really have concerns about being brought down from behind by a drafter. If they touch my rear wheel, it will likely end much more badly for them than for me.)

Yeah, i think there's a drafting thread buried somewhere about strangers and protocol. It's an issue in the quasi urban environment with weekend warriors who are inexperienced and often on the limit. When some pull through they can't hold the pace and start to make mistakes. I still encourage it with young guys who are just excited and trying to learn.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Not just temperature! I thought the whole point of using a power meter was so this kind of nonsense became irrelevant?
Power meter data helps one to understand both the supply and demand sides of the energy equation. And when (perhaps not real) anomalies occur, then sometimes one wants to know why. There is nothing particularly wrong with that.

Answers can be on either side of the supply or demand side. Some mistakenly go looking for minor issues when typically there are bigger factors in play, including of course the potential for measurement error.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
King Boonen said:
Not just temperature! I thought the whole point of using a power meter was so this kind of nonsense became irrelevant?
Power meter data helps one to understand both the supply and demand sides of the energy equation. And when (perhaps not real) anomalies occur, then sometimes one wants to know why. There is nothing particularly wrong with that.

Answers can be on either side of the supply or demand side. Some mistakenly go looking for minor issues when typically there are bigger factors in play, including of course the potential for measurement error.
I get that, but there's so many other factors I'd be looking at first before I started analysing the air density and resistance. I just thought that the way simple explanations were overlooked was amusing, along with how quickly the analysis got so complicated.

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Everything same, more power but slower. Answer = weather. Something you have absolutely no control over. Unless you're the kind of person who wants to attempt to correct for it you just accept it and move on. Next we'll have bikes with wind socks on.
Well the answer might be weather or partly due to weather. But there are other factors in play to consider (e.g. measurement errors and what causes them, some of which might be in the user's control). Nothing wrong with learning about the various impacts on the energy supply/demand equation, their relative importance and what it means for performance in TT-like disciplines. In such disciplines understanding those impacts can influence things like equipment choices or positional changes more suitable for different conditions.

I don't know about wind socks, but bikes are coming that will have inbuilt air velocity sensors as well as power meters.

DamianoMachiavelli said:
"I have young kids and if I'm training early I can't use the toilet otherwise I'll wake the whole house up, so I've taken to crapping in a bag. I've become quite adept at it. My wife thinks it's weird and my Mum accidentally saw me in the act when she came to stay (she wakes early), so now she also thinks I'm very strange. Am I alone? What do other people do."

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Lavender_Room_F4/Crapping_in_a_plastic_bag_P6264637/
I hope he's trolling...

You can never be truly sure with that site

42x16ss said:
DamianoMachiavelli said:
"I have young kids and if I'm training early I can't use the toilet otherwise I'll wake the whole house up, so I've taken to crapping in a bag. I've become quite adept at it. My wife thinks it's weird and my Mum accidentally saw me in the act when she came to stay (she wakes early), so now she also thinks I'm very strange. Am I alone? What do other people do."

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Lavender_Room_F4/Crapping_in_a_plastic_bag_P6264637/
I hope he's trolling...

You can never be truly sure with that site

There was a post a while back from a woman who had started tri and thought that when she asked and others said you just got to the toilet in your wetsuit that they meant taking a dump and apparently she did it on a group ride. Again, I'm almost certain it was trolling, no-one is that stupid surely?

images

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure some would object to my saying this, but on this morning's ride I went through DC and found street closings and preparations for " The National Triathlon ". I rode past the many tent structures and shelters, lights, generators, jons, mountains of food and water, scores of emergency services vehicles & personnel on the streets and in the River.
I thought what a tremendous waste of resources this is for a recreational event at this time, and how this is exactly what is sorely needed by the millions of people in our hurricane impacted states. I know life goes on, and who am I to say what others should do. But it seemed a pitiful indulgence.
God be with those who have, are and are about to be impacted by the storms of a lifetime.

TRENDING THREADS