• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Should triathletes be allowed on bikes?

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
biketheroad said:
I'm sure some would object to my saying this, but on this morning's ride I went through DC and found street closings and preparations for " The National Triathlon ". I rode past the many tent structures and shelters, lights, generators, jons, mountains of food and water, scores of emergency services vehicles & personnel on the streets and in the River.
I thought what a tremendous waste of resources this is for a recreational event at this time, and how this is exactly what is sorely needed by the millions of people in our hurricane impacted states. I know life goes on, and who am I to say what others should do. But it seemed a pitiful indulgence.
God be with those who have, are and are about to be impacted by the storms of a lifetime.

POST SCRIPT

The local Media I should point out, presented no coverage or reporting whatsoever of the Nat'l Tri.

winkybiker said:
Archibald said:
images

Awesome. There was actually an advertisement in a 'strayan triathlon magazine years ago that featured Michellie Jones riding with the advertisers helmet worn backwards.

There are lots of photos of this phenomenom...

3871673208_fa167dfa27_o.jpg

avm0pz.jpg

Backwards helmets? Oh dear as an ex triathlete I gotta say that is beyond embarrassing. Maybe just dizzy after the swim? But then again, those look like pro women? Sorry no excuse it seems Triathlete idiocy extends to the elite.

Reactions: red_flanders
Sep 1, 2019
Visit site
Wow, QR operation is pretty simple (or so I thought).

Maybe after they get their QRs figured out, they can work on having a cadence over 70 and learning to climb hills (hint, get the f*ck off your aero bars).
triathletes make bike riders seem like retards...especially iron man triathletes....lets see ur week ass with the scrawny ass upper body try to swim 2.5 miles ride 112 miles then just for fun run an entire marathon 26.2 miles.....i am not a triathlete.but i know they are 10 times the athlete a single sport bike rider could ever hope to be

triathletes make bike riders seem like retards...especially iron man triathletes....lets see ur week ass with the scrawny ass upper body try to swim 2.5 miles ride 112 miles then just for fun run an entire marathon 26.2 miles.....i am not a triathlete.but i know they are 10 times the athlete a single sport bike rider could ever hope to be

I love triathletes, cyclists, runners and swimmers. I've done all events.

Worth pointing out that the world's best triathlete (from Sprint to Olympic to Ironman) … wouldn't fare that well in any single swim, bike or run event against the best in those individual pursuits. Not to take away from their extraordinary, gifted, elite Tri performances. Just sayin.

Sep 1, 2019
Visit site
I love triathletes, cyclists, runners and swimmers. I've done all events.

Worth pointing out that the world's best triathlete (from Sprint to Olympic to Ironman) … wouldn't fare that well in any single swim, bike or run event against the best in those individual pursuits. Not to take away from their extraordinary, gifted, elite Tri performances. Just sayin.
they arent single sport athletes....and a bicycle rider put into an iron man would drown before getting to the bike event and if they made it to the run ...they would never finish.....they arent allowed to draft at all so tour defrance racers wouldnt fare so well without being able to hide from the wind behind another rider for significant portions of the race,,,,just saying....

Last edited:
they arent single sport athletes....and a bicycle rider put into an iron man would drown before getting to the bike event and if they made it to the run ...they would never finish.....they arent allowed to draft at all so tour defrance racers wouldnt fare so well without being able to hide from the wind behind another rider for significant portions of the race,,,,just saying....
Cameron Wurf says hi.

Reactions: gitrdone
they arent allowed to draft at all so tour defrance racers wouldnt fare so well without being able to hide from the wind behind another rider for significant portions of the race,,,,just saying
and funnily enough, triathletes don't fare so well at the tour de france, even when they can "hide from the wind behind another rider for significant portions of the race"...

always to fun to compare how well your monkey swims up the river to how fast someone's fish climbs the tree, then say which one is better :rolleyes:

Sep 1, 2019
Visit site
and funnily enough, triathletes don't fare so well at the tour de france, even when they can "hide from the wind behind another rider for significant portions of the race"...

always to fun to compare how well your monkey swims up the river to how fast someone's fish climbs the tree, then say which one is better :rolleyes:
Three sport athletes always trump a single sport ..... I would pay good money to see the tour defrance winner do an Ironman in the required time .... Ironman athletes are freakishly fit ... making a bike rider seem obese by comparison

Sep 1, 2019
Visit site

Triathletes probably don’t fare as well because the
I seem to remember triathlon was invented by a failed swimmer who couldn't compete with runners when he decided to take up jogging. Says it all really...
I thought it was a scrawny bike rider that got tired of getting picked on for having 10 inch arms.... I could be wrong

Did he win or come in last

There were definitely goalposts around here a minute ago.

Reactions: 42x16ss
There is something really funny about this..ask yourself..should ski jumpers be allowed to ride bicycles? Part of the answer is in the Vuelta standings. Women's racing definitely never asks any questions about anything!!many top woman racers started in something else..snow shoe, distance running, swimming,and yes triathlon.
recently some in the pro bunch have commented on eating disorders and what the current professional bicycle racer needs to eat and look like to compete at the highest levels..part of this should say..why do pro bike racers look so much like triathletes?
*I have had my a-ss handed to me by elite and professional triathelets both on flat ground,climbing and time trial events.. As many bike racers discover that there really isn't much to all that paying your dues bullschit,
I personally have seen surfers and motocross racers ride bicycles for training and be in the mix very very fast simply from something internal. I would bet that guys like Valverde and Sagan are glad that Formula one guys like Hamilton and Schumacher , never took up bicycle racing.I would also guess that GP motorcycle racers would wipe the floor w most bike racers..
We will find out if ski jumpers can win the Vuelta .
another S.California thing that has snooty bike racers in a huff..spinning classes!!!!!men and women who have little on road experience are gaining great ground by training primarily indoors!!the next Lance or Tony Martin is coming from a gym not a traditional bike club
FRoome and Spartacus both got late starts..and we know how that works out..
yes triathelets should be able to ride bicycles.

Three sport athletes always trump a single sport ..... I would pay good money to see the tour defrance winner do an Ironman in the required time .... Ironman athletes are freakishly fit ... making a bike rider seem obese by comparison
:laughing::laughing: nonsense - all are specifically trained for their specific sport

oh, while you're waiting to spend your dosh on a fictional occurrence, feel free to let us know how many Kona winners had a successful procycling career, let alone actually attempted a grand tour...
answers on a postcard...

Sep 1, 2019
Visit site
:laughing::laughing: nonsense - all are specifically trained for their specific sport

oh, while you're waiting to spend your dosh on a fictional occurrence, feel free to let us know how many Kona winners had a successful procycling career, let alone actually attempted a grand tour...
answers on a postcard...
why go procycling thats a down grade of their skills....grand tours a boat load of guys 6 inches apart everyone of them hiding from the wind behind the guy in front of them.....the first 10 miles and the last 10 miles are actually racing the rest is just mindless pedaling .....time trials are an honest assessment of a riders physical ability....one mans results come from one mans effort...not the result of hiding from the wind saving their legs for the last 5 miles of riding

TRENDING THREADS