• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should You Wear Team Kits?

A

Anonymous

i wouldnt wear one.. classic retro shirts if you have them are ok, but current team kits, dunno, bit fanboyish

Okay with me... and for what I care you can wear the new one! But if a rider who supports Cervélo insist in buying the TdF kit and wearing it those three weeks... naah
Or simply if someone just has to change gear with the team! When you've bought a kit you wear it until it's of no use, regardless of whether your team has changed named and kit in the meantime...

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
For racing at club level I dont wear them, Open level I cant wear them but training I wear what comes out of the draw first as long as it is bright colours and can be seen. some on my favorits are over 20 years old but look good.

The principal is that if I wear pro team clothing I am helping the team sponsors who have put heaps of money into cycling.
My small contribution is a drop in the ocean but it is there.

But dont ask me to buy it. wear it yes but dont spend money on it I usulay get the tops at bike races where I have done mechanic or manager.

However sometimes I do wear my old GB top in races in Australia if only to stir the oppersition. That is the old one with a Union Jack on it.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Okay with me... and for what I care you can wear the new one! But if a rider who supports Cervélo insist in buying the TdF kit and wearing it those three weeks... naah
Or simply if someone just has to change gear with the team! When you've bought a kit you wear it until it's of no use, regardless of whether your team has changed named and kit in the meantime...

+1 nothing wrong with being a fan of some team as I said earlier. I would definitly wear the sky jerseys, they're really cool.
Only problem with team kits is the ridiculous high price.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
If you want to make loads of new friends, wear an Euskaltel jersey at the Tour de France when they hit the Pyrennes. Might want to know Basque, or failing that, Spanish though.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Is there anything wrong with buying a football shirt and wearing it during a evening kick about with mates? No? Thought not. Same with wearing team cycling kits on rides.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
People should always wear what they want when they ride. If people want to wear the latest updated team kit, of their favorite team, then so be it. If they want to wear plain colored kits, so be it. Retro..whatever, wear what you want. Never understood this debate. No one is going to mistake you for a pro rider, and if you are a fan of a team wear what you want.

Riding a bike should be about fun. If people have fun wearing team kits, then hooray for them.

I have recently added a HTC-Columbia kit to my massive team kit wardrobe. I ride a Scott, I have the new HTC EVO...only had one step left lol. Will I wear it often, nope, but I ride so much, I need lots of bibs and jerseys.

This year alone I have bought Sky, HTC, a new Rock kit, 2 local bike shop kits, and some solid color stuff.

Nothing wrong with wear solid color stuff, or team kits...just get out there and ride!!

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
mikeNphilly said:
People should always wear what they want when they ride. If people want to wear the latest updated team kit, of their favorite team, then so be it. If they want to wear plain colored kits, so be it. Retro..whatever, wear what you want. Never understood this debate. No one is going to mistake you for a pro rider, and if you are a fan of a team wear what you want.

Riding a bike should be about fun. If people have fun wearing team kits, then hooray for them.

I have recently added a HTC-Columbia kit to my massive team kit wardrobe. I ride a Scott, I have the new HTC EVO...only had one step left lol. Will I wear it often, nope, but I ride so much, I need lots of bibs and jerseys.

This year alone I have bought Sky, HTC, a new Rock kit, 2 local bike shop kits, and some solid color stuff.

Nothing wrong with wear solid color stuff, or team kits...just get out there and ride!!

I agree w/Mike. But I should add that if you belong to a local team, it would be better to ride in your team kit on most of your rides to show the colors of your sponsors (give thanks to your sponsors who gives to the sport of cycling).

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the only team kit I have is T Mobile and I love wearing it. I've been tempted to get a Sky kit but that is more because I love the Three Stripes.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
whatever blows your hair back usually works assuming there is observance of spandex laws for the general public health. anyone know where to find MBartoli's old Asics kit?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
phlatties said:
whatever blows your hair back usually works assuming there is observance of spandex laws for the general public health. anyone know where to find MBartoli's old Asics kit?

+1. Bartoli is one of my fave racers all-time, that Asics kit is one of the best ever. Impossible to find, but I hope one of our members has a line on some. Also really liked Alessio Wheels team kit.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
markrosen said:
I agree w/Mike. But I should add that if you belong to a local team, it would be better to ride in your team kit on most of your rides to show the colors of your sponsors (give thanks to your sponsors who gives to the sport of cycling).

I absolutely agree with both of you guys. But after that, the rules you go by, are your own.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
i wouldnt wear one.. classic retro shirts if you have them are ok, but current team kits, dunno, bit fanboyish

I love my 7-11 jersey, but that is the only one I have/wear when it comes to teams.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
This thread is, and it's kind, have always been so silly, in all of it's incarnations. Despite some people's righteous sentiments that you should earn the right to wear certain jerseys. It is actually everybody's right to wear whatever they feel like wearing. But this thread comes up over and over again. And in fact there are actually 2 threads currently making the rounds, that are more or less on the same topic. This one, and the favorite jersey/ worst jersey thread. Oh well, that's it for me on this thread. I'm going to put on my Caisse D'Epargne kit, and go for a ride. g'day y'all! :D

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
three stripes

euanli said:
Yeah the only team kit I have is T Mobile and I love wearing it. I've been tempted to get a Sky kit but that is more because I love the Three Stripes.

You should definately buy the sky shorts if like the three stripesThey are all black but use 2 different materials giving a two tone look.All the logo's are sublimated which is so much better.Coz they are black they go with any jersey.:cool: