• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shoulder Separation

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Last week in an accident I separated my shoulder. A cat 4 separation, the orthopedic surgeon wants to wait 2-3 months before deciding on surgery. Anybody out there been there done that. Usually, if you are beyond a cat 3 separation it is a straight trip to surgery. Should I be looking for a new Doctor?

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I crashed six weeks ago, broke my collarbone and got a grade 4 separation. I had the surgery done to take care of the collarbone (because the break was very distal) and while they were in there they took care of the separation as well. It's hard for me to separate (no pun intended) the two injuries but based on how long it's taken me to get even limited range of motion and weight-bearing ability back (6 wks) and given those are mostly due to the separation (after you plate the collarbone), I can't imagine it would be better to wait to have the surgery.

I would get a second opinion.

Also, I've been getting low-level laser treatment and that has had a huge effect on my shoulder, I would highly recommend it if you can find someone who has one and knows how to use it. It sounds a little hokey at first because it's mostly just chiropracters that have them (at least here in the US). I was definitely skeptical going in but I noticed immediate improvement after my first visit.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes. You should get a second, and probably a third opinion. Your injury is serious and will likely not heal well on its own. You either need to find a surgeon who will help you quickly or begin a program of physical therapy quickly. Waiting several months with a serious injury is rarely a good option.

Best of luck for a quick recovery to you.

I had a level 3 separation in April 2009. I had no surgery but it took about 6 months before I could return to everything. I still can't lift heavy weights but I have full range of motion and can swim. Occasionally I'll have a little pain but nothing major...I just have a huge bump on my shoulder where the bone is permanently raised.

Saying all that...I would get a second opinion. I thought a level 4 was automatic surgery.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
stonerider said:
I had a level 3 separation in April 2009. I had no surgery but it took about 6 months before I could return to everything. I still can't lift heavy weights but I have full range of motion and can swim. Occasionally I'll have a little pain but nothing major...I just have a huge bump on my shoulder where the bone is permanently raised.

Saying all that...I would get a second opinion. I thought a level 4 was automatic surgery.

A level 4 is suppose to be an automatic surgery. The Dr is waiting because I still have a good range of motion in comparison to the damage to the shoulder. I am just concerned that I will waste months trying to see if this is going to fix itself and then be out more months after a surgery. I am concerned about swimming and related activities. I think without a doubt I will be getting another opinion.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Just had surgery a week ago

Same as some of you, I had a grade III separation in late October. Healed ok, with the bump, and was able to do all daily activities including weightlifting, which was somewhat painful. Since I had to have surgery to fix a subsequent Colles wrist fracture, my ortho surgeon also thought it made sense to fix the shoulder too.

He shaved off some of the clavicle and reattached it with an internal fixation. It hurts a fair bit but know I will avoid arthritis in the joint far longer. I should be back riding in a few weeks once PT is done. I think it was worth it but I am not sure if I would have done it without also needing the wrist operation.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I have surgery on mine this Friday I will let you know how it goes. Mine is type III and the clavicle sticks up more then an inch above my shoulder.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
L29205 said:
Last week in an accident I separated my shoulder. A cat 4 separation, the orthopedic surgeon wants to wait 2-3 months before deciding on surgery. Anybody out there been there done that. Usually, if you are beyond a cat 3 separation it is a straight trip to surgery. Should I be looking for a new Doctor?

Okay I had my surgery. it turned out it was a cat 4 separation. I was able to ride fine for the last two months and race but I was not very aggressive in the peloton and I did not do any crits. I thought the doctor first told me about the surgery I was going to be out for only 4 weeks, but as it turns out it is 4 weeks before I can start working out my shoulder, three months before I can really work it out. so if you have an important race coming up you might want to finish it then have the surgery.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
STODRR said:
Okay I had my surgery. it turned out it was a cat 4 separation. I was able to ride fine for the last two months and race but I was not very aggressive in the peloton and I did not do any crits. I thought the doctor first told me about the surgery I was going to be out for only 4 weeks, but as it turns out it is 4 weeks before I can start working out my shoulder, three months before I can really work it out. so if you have an important race coming up you might want to finish it then have the surgery.

Thanks for the update, I have been letting the decision on surgery sit for a while. It has been close to nine months since my separation and the main impacts have been:

1) Cannot stay out of the saddle for an extended period of time (greater then 3 minutes which is a rare need anyway)
2) Cannot sprint not a big loss I could not sprint to begin with, just makes it a little harder to get out of the corners in a crit
3) Cannot stay on aero bars for a long time. Shoulder just cramps up bad. This has been the biggest impact as I also do triathlons every now and then.

I am still trying to decide the course of action I want to pursue. The Orthopedic says don't do anything unless it is directly impacting your life.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I rode the indoor trainer today for an hour. didn't bother me to much. I went through the same stuff as you are going through. sounds to me it is impacting our life.

TRENDING THREADS