• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Signs that the Apocalypse are upon us

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
In some other cases, WADA and other agencies have admitted that the positives were due to contamination of supplements (she had some left in the bottle they were able to test) or Chinese meat, or Mexican meat, not doping for performance enhancement, but punished the athletes anyway.

So being punished by an anti-doping agency doesn't mean that cheating took place, and innocence doesn't always keep people from being punished. Riis acknowledging that is hardly a sign of the Apocalypse.

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I think Riis was using "guilty" in the context of "intentionally cheating", not "guilty" of unknowingly ingesting a banned substance.

I would say that in the second context, Contador is "guilty" whether they punish him or not. He had a banned substance in his body. No argument from anyone on that.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
"If The Glove Don't Fit, You Must Aquit!"

Bjarns recnt comment reminds me of the comment by Oj Simpsons Lawyer
Johnnie Cochran,

"If the Glove Don't Fit, You Must Aquit!"

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
People have become angered by my references to the OJ case. But I'll do it again here anyway (hopefully with a better explanation). It's called rationalization. It's how "people who regularly do bad things" are able to live with themselves. In Riis' case, he's gotta find a way to rationalize a way to turn Contador's situation into a just one.

OJ was so emphatic about his innocence because (due to rationalization) he'd convinced himself that he WAS justified in doing what he did. So in his mind, it was OK to say "not guilty".

Riis needs to keep his own charade going, so he'll think and say what needs to be said to get the desired outcome. AC is his last hope, as the rest of his team left him for better quality dope source in Luxembourg.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
In some other cases, WADA and other agencies have admitted that the positives were due to contamination of supplements (she had some left in the bottle they were able to test) or Chinese meat, or Mexican meat, not doping for performance enhancement, but punished the athletes anyway.

So being punished by an anti-doping agency doesn't mean that cheating took place, and innocence doesn't always keep people from being punished. Riis acknowledging that is hardly a sign of the Apocalypse.

I find it hard to believe the contaminated meat story.
A better story for me would be ------- Maybe the shake weights caused the trouble? Contamination on the grips, after all he had to workout the hands for the pistol salute.

I think the deal is that you are accountable for what goes into your body. So maybe that is the deal with the punishment issue?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
I find it hard to believe the contaminated meat story.
A better story for me would be ------- Maybe the shake weights caused the trouble? Contamination on the grips, after all he had to workout the hands for the pistol salute.

I think the deal is that you are accountable for what goes into your body. So maybe that is the deal with the punishment issue?

If you're not gonna do it, then I'm gonna have to:

shake-weight-o.gif

TRENDING THREADS