• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Since When Do You Like Contador?

Since When Do you Like Contador?

• eneco tour '12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
In this forum a lot of people seem to be a fan of Contador.

I'm aswell a fan of him. When I got pcm '06 i saw that this guy had potential and then discovery channel signed him. The moment he won that stage on mende i heard it was a spaniard and I directly knew it was him. So yeah i'm already a fan for a long time.

Now if you like Contador, since when and which race made you like or respect him?

I've always liked him as a rider, but I didn't really start to actively cheer for him as a fan until TDF 2011. There he truly earned my respect by never giving up and attacking all over the place even if he were injured and out of shape. Then he got that ridiculous ban which removed far too much from his palmares, so now I just hope he'll get the great victories he deserves...

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Giro 08, no shape and he tried and won. It's when I noticed we have a new legend in the making.

It's strange but without Schlecks and Cadel fans (due to their recent bad luck) the forum is more pro-Contador than ever.

And about Sky fans the cool reception they had because the boring tag Sky get and the clinic suspicious has driven out them.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Don't feel strongly about him any way. If he makes a race more interesting I like him (Tour 2007, 2011), if he makes it boring I don't like him (Vuelta 2008, Giro 2011).

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I've never really been a fan of Contador but I gained more respect for him after the 2011 Giro. And now that he has had the tour and giro taken away in the ban, I wouldn't mind it so much to see him come back and dominate the vuelta.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
First my attitude was reservedly neutral. Just some slim climber always dropping from the pack when it gets 15-20 best climbers. But then this started gaining negative coloring especially after the Tignes 2007 stage and his scandalous declarations on the eve of the day when Werner Franke allegedly had to tell us on what Discovery rode that Tour. Currently I cannot describe my stance without uncensored words, cos the man makes people sink in lie, dishonor, cynisism and demands others to love and compassionate to him. Сlown, I'd rather limit myself with this word.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
First my attitude was reservedly neutral. Just some slim climber always dropping from the pack when it gets 15-20 best climbers. But then this started gaining negative coloring especially after the Tignes 2007 stage and his scandalous declarations on the eve of the day when Werner Franke allegedly had to tell us on what Discovery rode that Tour. Currently I cannot describe my stance without uncensored words, cos the man makes people sink in lie, dishonor, cynisism and demands others to love and compassionate to him. Сlown, I'd rather limit myself with this word.

This isn't about Frank Scleck.

I was rather cool towards him during the years 07-08 despite gaining huge success in most of the Grand Tours he entered. Thus not cheering for the top dog by default. But i started to gain huge amount of respect, which evolved to fanboyism, to him during, and after, that Tour in 2009. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what kind of pressure he was under that year in the wake of Lances comeback and his demands of running the Astana team. The way he stood up to the bully from Texas, and his bootlicking DS, truly earned him the pistolero-tag. And my sympathies.

He showed that year that he truly was the breed of a champion.

When he did the Giro at 120%, then quietly went into the Tour, with abuse, organizers out to get him, fatigue and no preparation, a very bad way to go into a gt.

Remember how the UCI said they didnt want him in the race?
Remember how the fans booed him at the start?
Remember how they screwed him in Mont des Allesouts, and how Karpets threw him onto the floor and how he had nothing left from the Giro?

And yet

He kept his head, while all around him,
lost theirs and blamed it on him.
And didnt give way to hating though he was hated
though they lied about him, he didnt deal in lies.
He knew the form might come later, and so he waited
And rode through all their booes and cries.
He stood tall, as they all said that he was bluffing
Living off the hope that the form would come
And held on when there was absolutely nothing
Except the Will which said to him: 'Hold on!'

And then came Gap, 5 glorious minutes
A risk, one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And though he dropped them, the chance had gone to win it
But he never breathes a word about his loss.
He dreamt and made those dreams his master;
To win it the hard way, that was now his aim;
And though he knows truimph, now it was disaster
But he treats those two impostors just the same

He dealt all the lies they had spoken
But could only watch as his body was ripped apart
And under all their efforts his dream was broken,
But they could never take from him his heart.
He talked with crowds and kept his virtue,
He walked with Kings and never lost the common touch,
neither foes nor loving friends can hurt him,
but those two long grand tours proved just too much;

But yet, they could never take his spirit
As he walked into the final mountain stage
And though he knew he could no longer win it.
He could bring the sport back to a distant age
He forced his heart and nerve and sinew
With 100k left of distance to run.
And the wolves, they asked, why did do it
"I attacked" he answered
"just for for fun".

TDF 2011.

In defeat, Contador made himself greater than he ever could in victory

It was during Paris-Nice, while riding for Liberty-Seguros. He was on the attack, peddling so furiously, he clicked out of his pedal, amazingly avoided a seriously intimate encounter with a rocky formation on the side of the mountain, clicked back in and proceeded with his attack. The attack failed but it was the start of his ascent to fame.

airstream said:

Now that is the word (in bold) that I feel truly describes the guy in your avatar. Someone that supplies me with endless entertainment and moments of painful, belly-aching laughter. What a treasure.:D

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm ashamed to admit that I was once a Frandy fan and a Contador despiser. That has certainly flip flopped however, and I think the big change was when I started watching the entire season rather than just the Tour. Then I certainly appreciated Contador much, much more.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Tour 09 and all the Lance drama. Felt sorry for him for all the crap he had to endure. But he took it all very well, even on the podium in Paris where they played the danish national melody instead of the spanish, he just took it all with a smile.

Such a class act and a real gentleman. I have the utmost respect for him both as a rider and as a person.

TRENDING THREADS