• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sinkewitz claims systematic doping at Quick Step

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
If I understand the story correctly, Sinkewitz made these statements to WADA in 2007, and the information was just sent to UCI last week. Baffling, as usual.

So I assume Lefevre will hold his obligatory press conference expressing outrage and threatening legal action.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I'll just repeat what I've stated many times elsewhere: of all the cancers in this sport, Patrick Lefévère is the physical embodiment of them all.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
I'll just repeat what I've stated many times elsewhere: of all the cancers in this sport, Patrick Lefévère is the physical embodiment of them all.
I agree, but this is the part that really annoys me:

"David Howman, WADA's director general, told the television program Frontal-21 that Sinkewitz's statement was forwarded to the Union Cycliste International (UCI) last week and that he had no explanation for the delay."

What the hell are WADA playing at days before the sports biggest event of the year?

May 17, 2009
Visit site
anubisza said:
He confessed this in NOVEMBER 2007. And _now_ they decide to announce it, 5 days before the Tour starts. That makes me SO angry.
Why?

I love it. The more attention there is on doping the better.

That is, unless you're happy with the way things are.

May 1, 2009
Visit site
samb01 said:
Why?

I love it. The more attention there is on doping the better.

That is, unless you're happy with the way things are.

actually i prefer more attention on racing. but then i'm more of a racing fan than doping fan.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
anubisza said:
He confessed this in NOVEMBER 2007. And _now_ they decide to announce it, 5 days before the Tour starts. That makes me SO angry.
Yup.

I'm no fan of Lefevre either, but this looks more and more like there's a vendetta going on against him, and that he has to be crushed publicly at the very moment the cycling public rate is at its peak. The whole Boonen farce, now this story with the very convenient timing. Thing is, they're punishing his team as well, and all the riders in it that have not that much to do with the alledged accusations. I mean, he's not the only dubious manager in contemporary cycling, nor is he the only arrogant ***. But he always seems to serve as a scarecrow to divert attention from other scandals going on.

And if there's systematic 'doping' going on within Quickstep, it sure as hell won't be any different from what goes on in other teams.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
Yup.

I'm no fan of Lefevre either, but this looks more and more like there's a vendetta going on against him, and that he has to be crushed publicly at the very moment the cycling public rate is at its peak. The whole Boonen farce, now this story with the very convenient timing. Thing is, they're punishing his team as well, and all the riders in it that have not that much to do with the alledged accusations. I mean, he's not the only dubious manager in contemporary cycling, nor is he the only arrogant ***. But he always seems to serve as a scarecrow to divert attention from other scandals going on.

And if there's systematic 'doping' going on within Quickstep, it sure as hell won't be any different from what goes on in other teams.

Hopefully not now, but two years ago i'm sure, as you say, their doping practices were no different to any other team.

It's just the timing of this that really gets me down. Everyone seems to save it up until just before the Tour to have maximum impact.
They won't be happy until every last sponsor leaves, and the Tour is back to being amateur again.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
anubisza said:
Hopefully not now, but two years ago i'm sure, as you say, their doping practices were no different to any other team.

It's just the timing of this that really gets me down. Everyone seems to save it up until just before the Tour to have maximum impact.
They won't be happy until every last sponsor leaves, and the Tour is back to being amateur again.

Where a - of course - clean - how else could it be - French rider emerges from the ashes, and brings the yellow jersey back to where it belongs - la douce France.

A

Anonymous

What I also find funny are Lefevre's comments about doping in the wake of things like Landis' testosterone positive. I thought at the time how incredibly hypocritical it was for anyone who was a DS for Museew to show such moral outrage. He is also a venereal disease to cycling. Syphilis actually because his role in the whole thing infects the entire system.

I would like to see him go down in flames personally.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
What I also find funny are Lefevre's comments about doping in the wake of things like Landis' testosterone positive. I thought at the time how incredibly hypocritical it was for anyone who was a DS for Museew to show such moral outrage. He is also a venereal disease to cycling. Syphilis actually because his role in the whole thing infects the entire system.

I would like to see him go down in flames personally.

Yes I belive he said Landis makes him want to "vomit".... methinks he wants to vomit because landis was stupid enough to get caught.

Btw/ Rogers has now been on two big systematic doping teams in QS & T-Mob. What a legend.

I'm almost entirely certain Patrick told the truth. Why it took this long to come out, who knows, but at least it did.

Musseuw was the tip of the iceberg. As I've said before, don't blame the riders entirely. After Musseuw retired, he strongly hinted that doping was a much bigger problem than revealed and that "I want to help". But no one wanted to listen, they just wanted to throw him under the bus. Well, believe me people, riders on this level rarely dope alone.

Lefevre comes from the old school of racing/doping his entire career. Despite his huffy, puffy busts of outrage, he's done a masterful job of creating an atmosphere that's ripe for doping, and conveniently looking the other way - when he's not helping.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm almost entirely certain Patrick told the truth. Why it took this long to come out, who knows, but at least it did.

Musseuw was the tip of the iceberg. As I've said before, don't blame the riders entirely. After Musseuw retired, he strongly hinted that doping was a much bigger problem than revealed and that "I want to help". But no one wanted to listen, they just wanted to throw him under the bus. Well, believe me people, riders on this level rarely dope alone.

Lefevre comes from the old school of racing/doping his entire career. Despite his huffy, puffy busts of outrage, he's done a masterful job of creating an atmosphere that's ripe for doping, and conveniently looking the other way - when he's not helping.

21.jpg

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Johan and Gianluca is obvious, but was Andrea ever caught up in that? I don't recall him ever being busted or implicated. If you must let me down, do it easy, Tafi is one of my all-time fav's.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think the UCI should run a test. Allow open doping for one year with no penalties. But for safety, no hemoacrit levels over 50%. And see how it goes.

I know one thing for certain, the average speeds, etc will remain identical. We may just see some newer nobodies raise up the ladder a little.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Indurain said:
I think the UCI should run a test. Allow open doping for one year with no penalties. But for safety, no hemoacrit levels over 50%. And see how it goes.

I know one thing for certain, the average speeds, etc will remain identical. We may just see some newer nobodies raise up the ladder a little.

You would also see the top riders saying that "it's still the same because no one dopes now either. Riders have a conscience, you know."

Alpe d'Huez said:

I think this will be the next area of inquiry and focus of investigations/public scrutiny: the old school team directors, managers, hangers-on, etc. who facilitate some facet of doping, or at least turn a blind eye to it, but then crucify other riders and abandon their own when they are caught or even just suspected of doping...

A

Anonymous

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Johan and Gianluca is obvious, but was Andrea ever caught up in that? I don't recall him ever being busted or implicated. If you must let me down, do it easy, Tafi is one of my all-time fav's.

I don't know about Tafi, but I agree that he was beautiful on a bike. My real point was similar to the one I would be making if I posted a picture of the Gewiss 1-2-3 (race and year are eluding me today). Nice team ride, but come one? In a race THAT freaking hard?

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I don't know about Tafi, but I agree that he was beautiful on a bike. My real point was similar to the one I would be making if I posted a picture of the Gewiss 1-2-3 (race and year are eluding me today). Nice team ride, but come one? In a race THAT freaking hard?

fleche wallone 1994 argentine, berzin, can't remember the third rider they won by a long way

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Thoughtforfood said:
I don't know about Tafi, but I agree that he was beautiful on a bike.

Masterklass, helluva nice guy, power and grace personified. And those Damn quads, yikes! I'm going to have to go down to Tuscany and hang with him at the Il Borghetto next year.

TRENDING THREADS