• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Skinniest cyclist

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ryo Hazuki said:
yeah but wikipedia is full of sh*t, he is 177 and 58 kg
That is a BMI of 18.5. That is right on the limit for unhealthy.

Frank Schleck and Dekker Tifosi are some of the skinniest cyclist out there with BMI below the 18 mark.:D

But the first place has to go to David Livramento is 182 and 55 kg is 16.1. Who is this guy Ryo? Do you have pictures, or they are too creepy?

May 22, 2010
Visit site
BMI is pretty innacurate I find. I'm 6'4 and 82 kegs and I consider myself pretty god damn skinny. Yet BMI says I'm dead center of the healthy range.

The skinny trio of Saxobank-Sungard
Chris Anker Sørensen 185 cm/64 kg = 18.7 BMI
Laurent Didier 189 cm/68 kg = 19 BMI
André Steensen 185cm/65 kg = 19 BMI

I recall reading last year that Eros Capecchi was 190/64, which seems almost painfully lightweight. His Liquigas profile says 184/65 (19.2 BMI) though, which is more reasonable, but still tremendously low - at least to an out of form couch potato like me :D

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
there's a fine line between a Contador or Schleck and a Rasmussen or Hamilton. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but Rasmussen takes it to an unhealthy extreme.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
A picture is a thousand words, but BMI is very inaccurate and incomplete, 1.8 m and 60 kg at 5 % body fat is a lot less skinny than 1.8 m and 60 kg at 9 % body fat.

Who is this cyclist?

Who is this cyclist?

lomdy08-skinny.jpg

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
That is a BMI of 18.5. That is right on the limit for unhealthy.

Frank Schleck and Dekker Tifosi are some of the skinniest cyclist out there with BMI below the 18 mark.:D

But the first place has to go to David Livramento is 182 and 55 kg is 16.1. Who is this guy Ryo? Do you have pictures, or they are too creepy?

he is portugese climber(go figure) with tavira team. there aren't any good photo's of him though, or not that I can find

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
469313460_487d133537.jpg

seriouslky though, who believes this guys is 177 and 58 kg?? more like 52kg that I've once heard he was.

images

this guys is oscar sanchez guarin, 177 and 56 kg, looks like he's terminal or something.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
indurain666 said:
A picture is a thousand words, but BMI is very inaccurate and incomplete, 1.8 m and 60 kg at 5 % body fat is a lot less skinny than 1.8 m and 60 kg at 9 % body fat.

bmi is very inaccurate but when you have a very low bmi it says alot though, just high bmi says nothing. I'm 178 and 83 kg, which would mean I'm too heavy but one look at me and you know I'm like a greek god :cool: muscles are heavier than fat so makes no sense.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I was just wondering how skinny a cyclist can get. I wanted to know who deserves the trophy. maybe we should start with three guys off the top of my head:

1- Rasmussen (BMI=19.5)
2- Laiseka (BMI=18.6)
3- Wiggans (BMI=19.9)

As a good measure we should post the BMI so it would be a good neutrilizer.

Include photos if you want.

skeletor1.jpg

3434625727_bae09fb470.jpg

Wiggins looks more like an anorexic patient :s

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
BMI is a crock of sh*t. Last year at a company health screening the dude had me at borderline overweight. He measured me at 5' 7", 157 lb. I'm actually 5' 8" but that's beside the point. I'm nowhere near fat. I have large muscular legs from cycling and running, and I have a fair amount of muscle mass in my upper body from push-ups and yoga. BMI, as far as I can see, does not take muscle into account at all. It's just a ratio of weight to height. As someone pointed out earlier muscle is much more dense and therefore heavier. For that reason I completely ignore BMI.

Tom T. said:
BMI is a crock of sh*t. Last year at a company health screening the dude had me at borderline overweight. He measured me at 5' 7", 157 lb. I'm actually 5' 8" but that's beside the point. I'm nowhere near fat. I have large muscular legs from cycling and running, and I have a fair amount of muscle mass in my upper body from push-ups and yoga. BMI, as far as I can see, does not take muscle into account at all. It's just a ratio of weight to height. As someone pointed out earlier muscle is much more dense and therefore heavier. For that reason I completely ignore BMI.
Obviously, but for cyclists it is important, because cyclists (particularly climbers) don't want extra weight, whether it is fat or unnecessary muscles.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
There is no way to have a very low BMI without very narrow hips and shoulders. Then again, narrow is aero, so also good sometimes for a cyclist.

I, on the other hand, am broad in the shoulders and hips. Just to illustrate what this will do to one's BMI: my body fat measures below 5% with calipers measured by an experienced exercise physiologist and I've lost enough muscle mass in my upper body that all of my ribs are visible (even the ones underneath my pectoral muscles) and yet I still have a BMI that is only one green square away from being "overweight" on that chart someone posted.

Not too many people call me overweight.