• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Skinniest cyclist

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Theo Bos as track sprinter

ec608cd89d9da236161fc24f8225e5a5.jpeg

Theo Bos now
tumblr_l0hz1yzbgR1qbn6yw.jpg

He only lost 5kg in pure weight, but the difference is unbelievable. Like he changed from the Hulk into a Laurel from Laurel & Hardy

Alpe d'Huez said:
Gert-Jan Theunisse was more skinny than Rooks I think.

mgp89.jpg

Seriously, some of these guys must have undiagnosed eating disorders.

I think that may also have had a lot to do with his 'intake'. :)

Good old Gert-Jan. I was scared of him as a teenage cycling fan. To me he was a horror movie bad guy. A sort of terrifying spectre who appeared episodically (really it was just because he was always in between suspensions). The reality was that he had just seamlessly taken over the role of Scapegoat #1 from Didi Thurau.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Anybody remembers Nelson Vails?

As beefy as you can get:

tumblr_ldkrl8lM591qbxnpgo1_400.jpg

tumblr_lhebd0rLrt1qc6vh2o1_500.jpg

As a skinny teenager, I did a charity/group ride with Nelson Vails after he won his Olympic medal, and his quads were freakish. They were HUGE. Mind-bogglingly gigantic.

Seemed like a very nice guy, too.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

mgp89.jpg

and he still is, man in interviews on tv he looks like he's anorexic or something

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Theo Bos as track sprinter

ec608cd89d9da236161fc24f8225e5a5.jpeg

Theo Bos now
tumblr_l0hz1yzbgR1qbn6yw.jpg

He only lost 5kg in pure weight, but the difference is unbelievable. Like he changed from the Hulk into a Laurel from Laurel & Hardy

Wow, he looks like Niels Albert in that last pic.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Alpe d'Huez said:

It's a bad habit to gauge eating disorders just on someone's general appearance.

I was about that skinny when I raced 24hr MTB's regularly. My standard pasta serve involved two large bowls....

My BMI was around 18.2 (189cm at 65kgs) and was much more a symptom of my exercise patterns and genetics than to do with my eating habits. Similar eating patterns now, actually I eat a little less, and my BMI is up to 20.2. Thanks to children and a mortgage my riding time is down to about 10 hours a week, where it was near that a day.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Nesker said:
curiously, andy s. and bobby are practically the same height, weight (and bmi).

both are outstanding climbers who are taller than a typical climber but one has improved itt and another never had despite being older..

I don't understand this. Two or Three Kilos more would not harm him. He would feel a lot more comfortable and would have a lot more substance.
There really needs to be done something about this. And the answer can only be, bring back more TT miles and introduce a minimum BMI

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
why a minimum bmi?? that sounds like really bullsh*t just have riders checked mentally by their teams to see if there is an eating disorder like anorexia. but these guys live on or over the border to get these results. that is topsports.

Ryo Hazuki said:
why a minimum bmi?? that sounds like really bullsh*t just have riders checked mentally by their teams to see if there is an eating disorder like anorexia. but these guys live on or over the border to get these results. that is topsports.

I don't think it's bull****. Hell even in ski jumping they have something like this. There have to be borders to protect the riders. It's the same thing with doping. If it wasn't forbidden, the rider who is willing to take the biggest risks would win. And many riders would die or get seriously unhealthy. It's the same thing with the body weight. Today every Grand Tour rider wants to become lighter and lighter and lighter. This is not a good development at all. Not for the riders and certainly not for the sport. There should be limits.