• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky/Froome Talk Only (No Way Sky Are Cleans?)

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
webvan said:
What's his VO2Max?

It's not unheard of superchamps to come out of nowhere like Thurau in 1977, Fignon in 83, Ullrich in 1996 and...of course some others like Ugrumov in 1993, LA in 1999, Rumsas in 2002.

Call me naive but at this point I'm a believer.

Don't know if you're being sarcastic here or what. Especially the last 4

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Mollema and Nieve are both performing well. Going into the race you would have said that they would finish higher than both Cobo and Froome if all were at their best.

That Wiggins guy seems to be at his best too.

Some people predicted that Cobo would finish ahead of Nieve and Mollema ;)

Actually, all the guys I thought would beat Cobo (Anton, Menchov, Nibali, Rodriguez, and Scarponi) have really underperformed.

webvan said:
What's his VO2Max?

It's not unheard of superchamps to come out of nowhere like Thurau in 1977, Fignon in 83, Ullrich in 1996 and...of course some others like Ugrumov in 1993, LA in 1999, Rumsas in 2002.

Call me naive but at this point I'm a believer.
In 2000 Rumsas won Lombardy and was 5th in the Vuelta. In 2001 he won Basque Country and was 2nd in Paris-Nice. He didn't come out of nowhere in 2002.

He did come out of nowhere in 2000, though, aged 28. But it was hard to make it out of Polish cycling.

Classic clinic.

Cyclist rides fast, must be doper.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know that the precedents for this kind of thing are concerning and that sometimes miracles don't happen but as I understand it there's absolutely zilch evidence of any wrongdoing by Froome. Nothing whatsoever.

Surely it takes more than winning a race to generate a 30+ page thread?!

La Canaja said:
Not sure what you're trying to say here.

That's because I accidentally included a "not" and said the opposite of what I was trying to say. Which was that there's pretty much nobody in the top 25 (and there are quite a few guys outside of it) who wouldn't have been favoured to finish ahead of a middling climbing domestique who had never previously managed a top 20 in a GT mountain stage.

simoni said:

Yes, you are right.

It takes a middling climbing domestique who had never previously managed the top 20 of a single GT mountain stage and whose contract had not been renewed, finishing second in the Time Trial and then riding some of the best climbers in the world off his wheel over and and over again.

simoni said:
Classic clinic.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know that the precedents for this kind of thing are concerning and that sometimes miracles don't happen but as I understand it there's absolutely zilch evidence of any wrongdoing by Froome. Nothing whatsoever.

Have you posted the same in the thread about Cobo or just in the thread directed at one of those brave clean English speaking riders? Your faux outrage would be taken more seriously if it wasn't so hypocritical.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Moller said:
Froome is out of contract, Goes to the Vuelta does a tt that raises eyebrows, but now this!
Seriously, has there ever been a more laugable performance than this?, 3 weeks ago if you asked anyone who Chris Froome was they'd say he was they guy that fell off and rolled down the Bonette in '08

That was Augustyn. Froome is the dumbass who rolled off the start ramp at the 2006 worlds, and instead of immediately taking a right turn (which was 10m after the start line and he could see it before he started the TT), went straight and ran right into an old man in the audience.

Either my post got moved to the Cobo thread and then deleted for being off-topic, or I posted it there somehow in error. Easy mistake to make either way.

If he is tested, I think there is a decent chance Froome will be rumbled, as on the evidence of his own teammates he may have been doing this off his own initiative. Like what Garcia claimed was possible last year.

Its kind of unthinkable that if there was systematic doping by Team Sky that they'd have neglected to include their team leader and his predicted main domestique in the programme.

Brailsford sounded faintly nervous/defensive when interviewed after Froome's Time Trial, at least he declined the invitation to state that he "wasn't surprised" by Froome's performances. I would love to hear a follow up interview now!

A

Anonymous

TeamSkyFans said:
Not always true.

Hate Man Utd, therefore, Love the Glazers. :D
Love Liverpool, therefore hate Hicks and Gillette

yea, if the glazers **** up man united :D

Well, as Brailsford says that Froome has always been able to produce numbers like this in training, I just wish Sky could somehow publish those numbers. Wouldn't have been nearly as suspicious if they could prove that he already measured a VO2 max of 90 or whatever and climbed @ 6,0 w/kg in january.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Froome has always been a good climber and the potential to be a great one. If you look back at the 2008 tour he was in the final group climbing Alp du Huez when Sastra took off. Up to now he was held back from recovery by having Bilharzia which is a parasite which feeds on red blood cells. You get it from swimming in African waters and can take a long time to recover from.

sprinter said:
Froome has always been a good climber and the potential to be a great one. If you look back at the 2008 tour he was in the final group climbing Alp du Huez when Sastra took off. Up to now he was held back from recovery by having Bilharzia which is a parasite which feeds on red blood cells. You get it from swimming in African waters and can take a long time to recover from.

Do we know when he contracted Bilharzia or when the doctors think he contracted it?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
simoni said:
Classic clinic.

can you cite any sporting miracles in cycling?