• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky/Froome Talk Only (No Way Sky Are Cleans?)

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
Waititng for Cound to blame Froome's asthma and not taking a puff before the hard effort. And to accuse some anonymous Spanish cyclist of doping.

We need a "wives, fiancees, girlfriends and significant-others" thread.

Wiggo misses out on Tour spot.

Eisel makes the cut.

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,30906_9363512,00.html

"In tackling the difficult challenge of selecting this team, we have stuck to a performance-first philosophy which has bought us considerable success, firstly at British Cycling and then with Team Sky, for more than a decade. Given the number of talented riders in Team Sky this approach has inevitably lead to some very tough decisions – however it’s crucial to remain totally focused on the desired outcome and we're racing to win.

"It has been a golden decade for cycling. Bradley Wiggins lies at the heart of a lot of that success, and although he has not been selected for this race he is still a key member of Team Sky and a great champion.

"The last time the Tour came to Britain it helped sow the seeds for what eventually became Team Sky. Everyone should be immensely proud of how far we've come and we can’t wait to ride in front of the UK fans. I believe that this will mark the moment when Britain truly becomes a cycling nation."

Chris Froome, Team Sky’s leader and 2013 Tour de France champion, said: "Everyone in the team is hugely excited about the Tour de France starting in the UK and racing in front of home fans as defending champion will be an incredible honour.

"We did a recce of the Yorkshire stages a few weeks ago and the excitement was already starting to build and the support that we have received has been fantastic. I’ll never forget the atmosphere on the roads during the London Olympics and to receive similar support at the Tour would be amazing. There’s no greater motivation for us than riding in front of our UK fans.

"We have a really strong team going into the race, full of experience and ability, and we’ve spent a lot of time together this year which is very important. We’re ready to get started and can’t wait to get to Yorkshire."

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Be surprised if Wiggins stays in the sport much longer!!
contracts of GBP1million will be hard to turn down. Lets say, he could earn 250k i other enterprises, the opportunity cost. so he would be down close to 750k.

Wiggins will milk it for a few years yet. But outside Sky, teams will be less willing to pay for his profile and achievements on the boards. no one will give a flying fark. He needs to win Dauphine, and podium in Giro or Vuelta to justify the bike bucks

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
webvan said:
Shameful, this shameful decision is going to place a lot of extra pressure on an already complicated defense...injuries, falls, Porte form, Bertie resurrection, etc...
the should gibe Kurt AsleArvesen a kit instead of the GS mike, he has some of the best Tour de France's i have ever seen as a domestique. he was awesome as a domestique. Like the lithuanian rider. What is his name. He has had a few awesome tours as a domestique. they sh!t it over Hincapie

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
the should gibe Kurt AsleArvesen a kit instead of the GS mike, he has some of the best Tour de France's i have ever seen as a domestique. he was awesome as a domestique. Like the lithuanian rider. What is his name. He has had a few awesome tours as a domestique. they sh!t it over Hincapie
i meant kiryenka, and he is belarus not latvia

blackcat said:
contracts of GBP1million will be hard to turn down. Lets say, he could earn 250k i other enterprises, the opportunity cost. so he would be down close to 750k.

Wiggins will milk it for a few years yet. But outside Sky, teams will be less willing to pay for his profile and achievements on the boards. no one will give a flying fark. He needs to win Dauphine, and podium in Giro or Vuelta to justify the bike bucks

Whilst people like us still talk about him he still has value. His form on the bike is a factor, but a lesser factor. He's got a fair bit of "grace" time yet before people and sponsors lose interest - one more big contract for sure.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Cycling isn't really a meritocracy. Teams buy in people not just for their athletic prowess and likelihood of winning, but also the exposure that a particular signing will give to their commercial sponsors.

This is why even exhausted Tour de France winners still command a salary that their current race placing might not justify.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Be surprised if Wiggins stays in the sport much longer!!

I was thinking the same until now. I can see wiggo wanting to rub sir brainsford's face in it by leaving to another team and wiping the floor with froome (if hes not banned by then) in the TdeF 2015.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
My guess is that Froome folds completely some time the end of the first week or beginning of the second week. I just don't see him as mentally tough, and all the negative attention is probably eating him up.

Remember when Armstrong, a guy who never crashed or had any type of tactical errors, all of a sudden found himself bloodied and unable to read/control the race? That was right when he was feeling the pressure too. I have a feeling we'll be something similar from Froome in a couple of weeks.

John Swanson

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
elduggo said:
I was thinking the same until now. I can see wiggo wanting to rub sir brainsford's face in it by leaving to another team and wiping the floor with froome (if hes not banned by then) in the TdeF 2015.

I don't see Wiggins winning another TdF. Age is a problem, and the race he won had a more favorable route for him than the usual TdF-style route. That said, if he could take the ITT rainbow jersey off Martin this year, then go to OGE with it, that would definitely generate some interesting publicity that would rub it in Brailsford's face.

Rainbow Wiggins and the Yates boys, riding for the Aussies. Explain that, Brailsford.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't see Wiggins winning another one either. Everything fell in place for him in 2012, including his motivation. He knew it was his one and only chance so he went for it.

Beech Mtn said:
I don't see Wiggins winning another TdF. Age is a problem

Chris Horner sees it a little differently.:D

It will be very interesting to see if Wiggins pops up on another team and takes a run at Froome at a grand tour. I think he'll lose that fight. That's what happens when a federation is providing marginal gains to an athlete.

ScienceIsCool said:
My guess is that Froome folds completely some time the end of the first week or beginning of the second week. I just don't see him as mentally tough, and all the negative attention is probably eating him up.

I think the UCI's providing some marginal gains gives him the mental support he needs. So much so he's using an inhaler with the cameras on.

Remember, this is the guy that publicly proclaimed his "disappointment" there's no testing on Tenerife and the UCI respond in 24 hours that one of their famous investigations will be opened on the matter. What other rider gets the UCI to respond like that?

DirtyWorks said:
I think the UCI's providing some marginal gains gives him the mental support he needs. So much so he's using an inhaler with the cameras on.

Remember, this is the guy that publicly proclaimed his "disappointment" there's no testing on Tenerife and the UCI respond in 24 hours that one of their famous investigations will be opened on the matter.

Well he was touting the "no testing" whilst releasing his book of "I don't know know how I could be any cleaner" & someone got jack of this joker and leaked the TUE.

Funny how quickly Fround went on the defensive in the space of 3 days along with inhaler gate . He crashed on a flat stage and dropped 15 minutes.

He doesn't cope well with stress and wants to blame others. Lance was smart enough to never blame the UCI for anything.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Lance had unsurpassed cold determination. Froome's mental game is nowhere near, but then it doesn't need to be when he can just drop the handlebar even further and add another 50 watts.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Well he was touting the "no testing" whilst releasing his book of "I don't know know how I could be any cleaner" & someone got jack of this joker and leaked the TUE.

Funny how quickly Fround went on the defensive in the space of 3 days along with inhaler gate . He crashed on a flat stage and dropped 15 minutes.

He doesn't cope well with stress and wants to blame others. Lance was smart enough to never blame the UCI for anything.

rule #1 of cycling if you want to dope successfully must be to never **** off the UCI. Since Froome is so arrogant, even more so than Armstrong I would say, he either has better protection, or he is just stupid.. Im leaning towards the latter. I dont think Froome will last as long as Lance. One more year at most.