• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky Grand Tour Line Up

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ingsve said:
Apparently Rogers is out for the Tour. He reported to be suffering from glandular fever.

I would revise my guess to:

Wiggins
Uran
Zandio
Cummings
Thomas
Flecha
Hayman
Henderson
EBH
Plenty there for the sprint train, especially considering Thomas really seems to be growing into the role. Still a rider short for climbs definitely but I think that's just due to there roster. What about pauwels or knees for the team?

Midnightfright said:
Plenty there for the sprint train, especially considering Thomas really seems to be growing into the role. Still a rider short for climbs definitely but I think that's just due to there roster. What about pauwels or knees for the team?

I'd forget the climbers and pack the team with big engines and the sprint train. Their best chance of success is the TTT (so it's a shame they've lost Rogers), an early sprint stage before Cav gets his eye in or a reduced bunch sprint. I'd have brought Swift for the latter.

I guess they're still looking to support Brad for GC, which is a mistake, IMO.

Midnightfright said:

I think it should be fine regarding support in the mountains considering this is a team designed for split duties (if they choose to go that route). Uran, Zandio and Cummings are mainly for the mountains but also Thomas and Flecha are pretty good at getting over some humps so they will probably be there for most of the stages when help is needed except for the final mountains when the other three would be left to help.

Ofcourse especially after looking excellent on the cobbles, on a gt i don't have s problem with it though. He will be used to drag back breaks even though with HTC there he shouldn't have to. He could get a good result in the tt and be a massive. Help in the train or being leadout is fine by me if has the energy. I think personally I would have knees at the tour instead of flecha.

hrotha said:
I would definitely include Knees. He's very versatile and could help in the flat and in the mountains (and, to some degree, in the TTT).

Well, he would be competing for a spot with guys like Flecha and Hayman in my estimation and what they decide to do depends on what their goal is. I think if they want to have focus on having good support in the sprints then I would go with Hayman and Flecha but if they want to leave the sprinters to fend for themselves more and have guys go in breaks etc instead then I'd choose Knees over Hayman.

After Wiggins has just blitzed Cancellara, he should probably beat Martin setting to rights Paris Nice. I would go with Hayman more so for the team role, he's affable and can get in breakaways like in PR. Also i have not heard about Rogers out of the TDF is it definitive/ for certain? Also EBH might be able to stay with Gilbert for a few stages like GVA.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
Apparently Rogers is out for the Tour. He reported to be suffering from glandular fever.

I would revise my guess to:

Wiggins
Uran
Zandio
Cummings
Thomas
Flecha
Hayman
Henderson
EBH

knees instead of hayman and it's fine. knees is better in itt and climbing and is needed, sky won't win any massprints anyway so should focus on loose stagewins and gc with uran and maybe wiggins

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
The three question marks are Rogers (illness), Cummings (illness), and Lofkvist (form, illness). All 3 were probably penciled in when the season started.

Would love to see Hayman make it, likewise Henderson, but struggle to fit them in my 9.

Assuming one of Rogers/Cummings are healthy: Wiggins, Uran, Zandio, Rogers/Cummings, Thomas, Gerrans, Flecha, EBH, Henderson.

Ya, a question mark for Cummings really makes things tricky. They would really need some more help in the mountains then I would think. I'm really reluctant with regards to Gerrans. I think his usefulness in a GT is overrated but they are really getting short on top climbing talent. Perhaps Löfkvist is an option afterall. Eventhough he didn't top 10 in the Giro or anything he still finished 21st which is above what any of their other climbers can manage so as a domestique for Wiggins he could still be useful.

My updated lineup in case both Rogers and Cummings are out would be:

Wiggins
Uran
Zandio
Löfkvist
Thomas
Flecha
Hayman/Knees (Depending on their sprintfocus)
Henderson
EBH

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Why is Gerrans overated in GTs ? Crashed out of tour last year , team left Vuelta early. The last three starts prior had a stage win in the Tour,Giro and Vuelta. Would be more than handy in abreakaway or mountain domestic. My pick Wiggans,Uran,Zandio,Gerrans,Thomas,Flecha,Hayman,Henderson,EBH.

I don't see why Sky should build up a strong sprint train, sacrificing their options elsewhere, when all their sprinters are 2nd rate. Let other teams do the work and you won't need more than Henderson and EBH, with the occasional help from Thomas/Flecha.

hrotha said:
I don't see why Sky should build up a strong sprint train, sacrificing their options elsewhere, when all their sprinters are 2nd rate. Let other teams do the work and you won't need more than Henderson and EBH, with the occasional help from Thomas/Flecha.

Valid point. There not guna go toe with the big guns in the sprint so why not try and play it clever and use good positioning instead. Free up a place for someone else.

They've just announced their Dauphine team: Edvald Boasson Hagen, Juan Antonio Flecha, Simon Gerrans, Christian Knees, Geraint Thomas, Rigoberto Urán, Bradley Wiggins and Xabier Zandio.

Assuming no Cummings or Rogers, I'd add Henderson to those 8 and make that the Tour team. Hayman, Froome, Hunt and Swift on reserve list should anything happen between now and July.

oldtolmieroad said:
Why is Gerrans overated in GTs ? Crashed out of tour last year , team left Vuelta early. The last three starts prior had a stage win in the Tour,Giro and Vuelta. Would be more than handy in abreakaway or mountain domestic. My pick Wiggans,Uran,Zandio,Gerrans,Thomas,Flecha,Hayman,Henderson,EBH.

Well, he has won some stages in very specific types of finishes but that to me is not enough to justify a spot. I think other riders are more useful and hard working as domestiques and have just as big a chance to go for a stage in breaks. I'm not saying he's bad but at times people seem to hype him to be well above what he is and that it is a crime against humanity when he gets left out of a GT squad.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Flecha, Thomas, Henderson and EBH is a pretty decent sprint train if they get the timing right. Especially in trickier sprints (I haven't looked at the maps) perfect timing can make up for lack of top speed. For example when Cavendish won in Paris, the timing of the sprint was so good that Renshaw could have won the stage easily if he wanted to.

ingsve said:
Well, he has won some stages in very specific types of finishes but that to me is not enough to justify a spot. I think other riders are more useful and hard working as domestiques and have just as big a chance to go for a stage in breaks. I'm not saying he's bad but at times people seem to hype him to be well above what he is and that it is a crime against humanity when he gets left out of a GT squad.
See, that's the problem with Sky. They need to realize they don't have any solid leaders, so leaving potential stage winners at home just because someone could be a better domestique for a leader that's not that good is a waste of resources.

Urán and Wiggins are not solid GC options, Henderson and EBH are not particularly likely to win mass sprints. Give the rest of the team a more or less free role unless the theoretical leaders prove the support given to them will pay off.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:

I am not saying its a crime against humanity its just with Rodgers and Cummings ill and guys from the Giro exhausted he would be my logical choice. Anyone who has won 3 grand tour stages is a quality rider, also he will have to prove himself worthy of his spot as will all of the other riders in the lead up races,Dauphine,Switzerland and Route de Sud.