• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky Grand Tour Line Up

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
He was 25th there in 2009 and he is no longer "all about the TDF" cause that clearly didn't work out.

who exactly are you quoting?

sounds more like he doenst know where he fits and brainsford is throwing stuff on the wall just to see what sticks

because he was 25th in 09? wow
is that anything like he was 4th in 09?

please

Boeing said:

sounds more like he doenst know where he fits and brainsford is throwing stuff on the wall just to see what sticks

please

He's riding Roubaix because it's a race he really enjoys. It's as simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Rogers is clearly there to provide a wise and experienced view and to coach Wiggins and the young guys with potential.

I bet he's getting paid for it and doubt he has any personal aspirations but is looking to be a mentor and will take his satisfaction from that.

In which case a good signing IMO

Boeing said:

please
You don't know much about cycling if you don't think a top 25 in P-R is an impressive performance, particularly for a "GC rider". Concerning your first question I'm not sure what to answer as it is quite evident that I'm quoting you, answering the exact question that of which you proposed with a reasonable and presumably comprehensive argument.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps interestingly, Knaven mentioned that Wiggins' World Tour points also gets them a higher car position than they would otherwise have had. Wiggins has long said he wanted to do Paris-Roubaix this year, but that's an added little bonus.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Im a big fan but it's fair to say Brad is an enigma on the road

De Panne - what went on there?

But he could be in the last group on P-R for sure.

So can Flecha and Thomas.

It is much more realistic for sky to win this race than a GT

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Brad will be near the last group. He has has the capability to be there, but he also has a tendency to miss the crucial split. I hope he genuinely gives it 100% on Sunday though, as I think it's a race he could do really well in at some point.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
hatcher - I agree - he is an enigma - he should be there but will he?

Thomas is a more predictable rider.

He really does have a shot at winning PR or RVV one day.

Sky should put some PR effort into getting British public to understand how huge that would be

Winterfold said:
hatcher - I agree - he is an enigma - he should be there but will he?

Thomas is a more predictable rider.

He really does have a shot at winning PR or RVV one day.

Sky should put some PR effort into getting British public to understand how huge that would be

It would take a lot of effort to do that. At the moment PR is worth less to the British public than a TDF stage. By a long shot. The best method would probably to make the point that 1 day races are a completely different ball game to stage racing. Present the classics as a different sport.

To start with, a mention of Paris roubaix in some papers would be welcome. I remember checking the metro the day after Paris Nice and there was nothing, not even in the corner about WIggins podiuming PN. And they probably had about 40 stories in the sport section that day.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
It would take a lot of effort to do that. At the moment PR is worth less to the British public than a TDF stage. By a long shot. The best method would probably to make the point that 1 day races are a completely different ball game to stage racing. Present the classics as a different sport.

To start with, a mention of Paris roubaix in some papers would be welcome. I remember checking the metro the day after Paris Nice and there was nothing, not even in the corner about WIggins podiuming PN. And they probably had about 40 stories in the sport section that day.

It was the same when Cav won MSR, barely a mention.Even Armstrong tweeted that it was "pitiful"

What is the verdict on Rogers? He seems to be a fair way from where he was last year.

Been absent from every race this year. Even his ok finish in Paris-Nice came almost by default. He's obviously not in top form, which is in stark contrast from the first few months of 2010.

Illness/Injury, or a return to a more traditional preparation for a big event (AToC of course).

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
What is the verdict on Rogers? He seems to be a fair way from where he was last year.

Been absent from every race this year. Even his ok finish in Paris-Nice came almost by default. He's obviously not in top form, which is in stark contrast from the first few months of 2010.

Illness/Injury, or a return to a more traditional preparation for a big event (AToC of course).

A combination of both I think.

He pulled out of the Criterium International due to illness, which then meant going into Pais Vasco under-raced. Seems to me he used it just go get some miles in his legs.

He was undoubtedly disappointing in Paris-Nice though. 22nd in a reasonably long TT is not what you expect from him.

Hard to know what to expect in Romandie and beyond.

JRanton said:
I struggle to see how Sky can pull off a big win this season that will grab some headlines.

A win from a breakaway group in the Tour?
Why not, they have about 5 guys who are likely to win out of any breakway. They just need to get into those right breakaways which they didn't manage last year.

maltiv said:
Why not, they have about 5 guys who are likely to win out of any breakway. They just need to get into those right breakaways which they didn't manage last year.

5 guys who are likely to win is pushing it. EBH would have a great chance, Thomas, Flecha and Cummings would have no more than a decent chance (+ Henderson maybe?). Gerrans has been a disaster in a Sky jersey.

Just to revisit the issue of Arvesen's chances of a tour pick... I know he crashed today but there's been nothing in the classics to suggest his form is good enough to justify a spot imo.

JRanton said:
5 guys who are likely to win is pushing it. EBH would have a great chance, Thomas, Flecha and Cummings would have no more than a decent chance (+ Henderson maybe?). Gerrans has been a disaster in a Sky jersey.

Just to revisit the issue of Arvesen's chances of a tour pick... I know he crashed today but there's been nothing in the classics to suggest his form is good enough to justify a spot imo.
You forgot Uran, who in decent shape would have a very good chance to win a hilly/mountain stage from a breakaway.

JRanton said:

He has admitted that his form ahead of the classics are not where he wanted it to be. Right now picking him would be on his merit as a road captain and not much else.

Bavarianrider said:
Rogers should focus on one week races like Tour of California.
He stilll a major force in that kind of races, even if his time tariling isn't the same it was in his younger days.

Yep, that was his plan when joining Sky.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/505141/rogers-confirms-team-sky-move-for-2011-12.html

FWIW, the team sky report after the Basque tour TT claims that Rogers has been suffering from allergies. We'll have to see if he is back on form for Romandie and then California.

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,20970_6861613,00.html

Well i guess we now know the Giro line-up

Lofkvist
Appollonio
Barry
Carlstrom
Cioni
Downing
Kennaugh
Nordhaug
Possoni

According to cyclingnews, Swift is off to the tour of california and doing the swiss tour before sitting out the tour de france and aiming for the Vuelta.

Chris Froome has done ok in recent weeks for someone who isnt one of the bigger name riders. Does anyone know what Sky's plans are for him? Vuelta as well?

I think Rogers is a great one week rider. I think he does however perform well in 3 week tours where his team has a multi faceted approach like when he was with T-Mobile, being a superdomestique. He is too old now however and has a different approach nowdays, so would probably not be so great.

A

Anonymous

TeamSkyFans said:
Fwiw i think the giro squad will be

Lofkvist
Cioni

Possoni
Norhaug
Froome x Barry
Cummings x Kennaugh
Hayman x Carlstrom
Downing
Appollonio

6 out of 9 aint bad. Would have thought Froome would have made it in on his current form. Would have fitted in the plan of sending pretty much a development squad.

Tour squad?

Wiggins
Rogers
Henderson
Thomas
Cummings
Hayman
Boasson Hagen
Flecha/Gerrans
Uran

Lack of Cummings and Hayman suggest that they will be in the tour squad. Cummings did the Giro last year and was a bit tired by the time the tour came round. Would be good riders for the TTT which Sky have said they will prioritise as well as good domestiques/breakaways.