• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky Grand Tour Line Up

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
See, that's the problem with Sky. They need to realize they don't have any solid leaders, so leaving potential stage winners at home just because someone could be a better domestique for a leader that's not that good is a waste of resources.

Urán and Wiggins are not solid GC options, Henderson and EBH are not particularly likely to win mass sprints. Give the rest of the team a more or less free role unless the theoretical leaders prove the support given to them will pay off.

Totally agree, EBH Gerrans Flecha Thomas Hayman can win from abreakaway or small bunch sprints. Get some stage wins on the board. I hope Brad and Uran have a good GC result but I cant see them winning stages in the mountains against the other GC contenders(contador,basso,evans,samu)

I think Uran should target KOM. Charteau will not race for it and Pineau might go for a tougher stage. Also if Swift were here we would have to say they are top rate. Also i think sky are a certainty to get the TTT, so they shall at least get one stage. Lampre usually only have 3 men for the sprint Bole, Hondo then Petacchi. Garmin shall this yr have a full team dedicated to getting Farrar the wins. OPL will be subdivided between, JVDB and Gilbert along with Greipel. Teams can get wins with few riders.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I think Uran should target KOM. Charteau will not race for it and Pineau might go for a tougher stage. Also if Swift were here we would have to say they are top rate. Also i think sky are a certainty to get the TTT, so they shall at least get one stage. Lampre usually only have 3 men for the sprint Bole, Hondo then Petacchi. Garmin shall this yr have a full team dedicated to getting Farrar the wins. OPL will be subdivided between, JVDB and Gilbert along with Greipel. Teams can get wins with few riders.
A certainty to get the TTT? Have you seen what HTC, Garmin and Radioshack have the potential to put out? I mean they have a shot but not a very good one compared to some of the opposition.

kjetilraknerud said:
For example when Cavendish won in Paris, the timing of the sprint was so good that Renshaw could have won the stage easily if he wanted to.

Ummm... I think the bigger contributing factor in that sprint looking so dominant was Julian Dean taking the wrong line through the last corner and taking every sprinter except Cav and Renshaw into the barriers!

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
Ummm... I think the bigger contributing factor in that sprint looking so dominant was Julian Dean taking the wrong line through the last corner and taking every sprinter except Cav and Renshaw into the barriers!
Perhaps, but Garmin looked very strong until the final km, when HTC took over and never looked back - perfect timing.

A

Anonymous

I have a hunch that Stannard might be going.

Hes in good form, there are a couple of classic style stages that might suit him if he gets in a break, hes a good leadout/domestique.

Also seen a few photos of him over the last week or two training with a time trial setup. Getting in his legs for the TTT?

TeamSkyFans said:
I have a hunch that Stannard might be going.

Hes in good form, there are a couple of classic style stages that might suit him if he gets in a break, hes a good leadout/domestique.

Also seen a few photos of him over the last week or two training with a time trial setup. Getting in his legs for the TTT?

Well, if Cummings is sick they probably want another brit in there. It would swing the team more towards stages and sprints rather than helping Wiggins but that is hardly avoidable anyway.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I think the tour team will almost certainly come from the riders doing the Daupine and Tour de Suisse so that rules out Rogers and Cummings.

Bradley Wiggins
Rigoberto Urán
Xabier Zandio
Geraint Thomas
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Juan Antonio Flecha
Simon Gerrans
Greg Henderson

I think these eight will almost certainly go. Henderson made a big fuss last year when he didnt go and I doubt they'll leave him out again seeing how they failed in the sprints last year. Zandio has been around the tour guys a lot recently, at altitude in Tenerife and at Bayern-Rundfahrt so I think he's in as well.The last spot will go to a strong roleur, anyone from:

Kurt-Asle Arvesen
Mathew Hayman
Christian Knees
Ian Stannard

I agree with TSF and pick Stannard, he's British and did a good TT in California and with the TTT being a major goal he's got a good chance.

The Cobra said:
I think the tour team will almost certainly come from the riders doing the Daupine and Tour de Suisse so that rules out Rogers and Cummings.

Bradley Wiggins
Rigoberto Urán
Xabier Zandio
Geraint Thomas
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Juan Antonio Flecha
Simon Gerrans
Greg Henderson

I think these eight will almost certainly go. Henderson made a big fuss last year when he didnt go and I doubt they'll leave him out again seeing how they failed in the sprints last year.
Did they really? Sprints was the only thing they did good. EBH was 3rd a few times which is as much as one can expect from him on a flat sprint vs Cav. Not like anyone else can beat Cavendish either. Perhaps with Henderson as a leadout he could've been second instead? :p

A

Anonymous

The Cobra said:
I agree with TSF and pick Stannard, he's British and did a good TT in California and with the TTT being a major goal he's got a good chance.

I cant think what else Stan will be doing over July if he has been doing TT training. It makes sense.

He is tough as nails, the opening ten days will suit him over Northern and Mid France, about three potential breakaway days, he didnt do a grand tour last year as he was in the Vuelta squad that left after 8 days. He has done a giro so definately has the legs.

Just think he offers a lot, has the strength for some of the classics style stages, can go in breaks, can lead out, and will do domestique duties till he explodes.

maltiv said:
Did they really? Sprints was the only thing they did good. EBH was 3rd a few times which is as much as one can expect from him on a flat sprint vs Cav. Not like anyone else can beat Cavendish either. Perhaps with Henderson as a leadout he could've been second instead? :p

Ya, all they had last year was Flecha and Thomas to help in the sprints and though Thomas has shown some good leadouts this year he was not on par with the best of them last year and is probably not fast enough as the final leadout. With Thomas followed by Henderson and then EBH (or the other way around) to finish it off I think they have as good a shot as many others. Cav will always be Cav but you can't give up before you try. One thing that Sky has shown is that they have been capable of winning sprints with various guys like Hendo, Swift and Sutton against opponents that on paper should be faster but when they get the train just right they can still win.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
They'll have two guys with top 10s in their lineup. Neither are going to win, but most team's GC riders aren't going to win either. In fact that goes for every team bar Saxo and Leopard.

who cares about top ten gc. top 5 and podium count or stagewins

Bavarianrider said:
I must say I really feel sad how Rogers has turned into such a tomatoe can. I still don't understand how he could slip like this. I mean when he was young he was the real deal in TT and seemed to have such abright future ahead. Not much left of this.
The reasons for that are obvious. You will find them a couple of subforums down.

I would like to see Arvesen and Stannard in for Flecha, if the tour line-up reflects that of the Dauphine at all. I think Arvesen would be a strong presence on the road and he's a good rouleur too.