• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky Grand Tour Line Up

JRanton said:
Are you sure Cummings is riding the Giro? I thought Sky would have saved him for the Tour team.

That depends on how much focus and support they want to give Wiggins. Chances are they'll bring more sprint support this year and for the mountains they'll have Uran and Rogers as well so it might be rather tight to get a spot.

ingsve said:
That depends on how much focus and support they want to give Wiggins. Chances are they'll bring more sprint support this year and for the mountains they'll have Uran and Rogers as well so it might be rather tight to get a spot.

Sure but there will be space for another climbing domestique with both Uran and Wiggins presumably being protected.

Cummings is good on the flat too and a decent time-trialist so I'd be surprised if he didn't make it and surely they won't make the same mistake as last year by sending riders to both the Giro and the Tour.

JRanton said:
Sure but there will be space for another climbing domestique with both Uran and Wiggins presumably being protected.

Cummings is good on the flat too and a decent time-trialist so I'd be surprised if he didn't make it and surely they won't make the same mistake as last year by sending riders to both the Giro and the Tour.

Ya, they'll probably try and avoid going to the Tour with tired riders. I know Löfkvist is doing the Giro as a protected rider but is hoping to ride the Tour in support of Wiggins so he might be an exception if he gets out of the Giro in good shape.

Then there is also Geraint Thomas who could also compete for a spot. I speculated about the Tour squad a bit in october or november and I think I had something like this in mind:

Wiggins
Uran
Rogers
Löfkvist
Thomas
Arvesen
Sutton
Henderson
EBH

That would be a team that would do double duty of supporting Wiggins and going for sprints. Cummings could of course take the place of either Löfkvist or Thomas without changing the focus much and if they want to go even more on supporting Wiggins then he would have an even better shot.

A

Anonymous

ingsve said:
Ya, they'll probably try and avoid going to the Tour with tired riders. I know Löfkvist is doing the Giro as a protected rider but is hoping to ride the Tour in support of Wiggins so he might be an exception if he gets out of the Giro in good shape.

Then there is also Geraint Thomas who could also compete for a spot. I speculated about the Tour squad a bit in october or november and I think I had something like this in mind:

Wiggins
Uran
Rogers
Löfkvist
Thomas
Arvesen
Sutton
Henderson
EBH

That would be a team that would do double duty of supporting Wiggins and going for sprints. Cummings could of course take the place of either Löfkvist or Thomas without changing the focus much and if they want to go even more on supporting Wiggins then he would have an even better shot.

the three bolded ones are certainly in the provisional squad, although a lot could change. Only Giro likelys so far as Norhaug, Lofkvist, and probably Cioni.
My hunch is Cummings will go the giro or vuelta, not the tour.

ingsve said:

Wiggins
Uran
Rogers
Löfkvist
Thomas
Arvesen
Sutton
Henderson
EBH

Thomas is an absolute certainty to make the team. I think as a British team, who have the desire to promote cycling in Britain, it would be strange if at least a third of their team for the biggest race in the world weren't British.

I'd take Cummings instead of Lofkvist and also Hayman ahead of Sutton (they'll need a sprinter for the Giro). I could see Flecha going instead of Arvesen but that will depend on whether or not Arvesen can get back to his 2009 form.

A

Anonymous

roundabout said:
Maybe you guys should start a Sky TdF lineup thread and leave this one to it's original purpose?

I was thinking that, but then thought, well the tour of the med is over now. not really much left to discuss.

JRanton said:
Can you see Sky only including two Brits in the Tour team?

Personally Id only send one, (thomas) maybe send stannard. And get Brad to build himself for a shot at the Tour de Suisse and then Austria. Think if he focused really heavily on those he could win both. But, I digress.

TeamSkyFans said:
I was thinking that, but then thought, well the tour of the med is over now. not really much left to discuss.

Personally Id only send one, (thomas) maybe send stannard. And get Brad to build himself for a shot at the Tour de Suisse and then Austria. Think if he focused really heavily on those he could win both. But, I digress.

Ok but do you think Sky will take less than three British riders? Obviously Wiggins will go.

A

Anonymous

JRanton said:
Ok but do you think Sky will take less than three British riders? Obviously Wiggins will go.

I think Wiggins and Thomas will go. Not sure about anyone else. 3 max i reckon.

TeamSkyFans said:
the three bolded ones are certainly in the provisional squad, although a lot could change. Only Giro likelys so far as Norhaug, Lofkvist, and probably Cioni.
My hunch is Cummings will go the giro or vuelta, not the tour.
I thought the main purpose of Team Sky hiring Uran was for the support of Wiggins in the Tour. Why else would you hire a pure climber? To take him to the Giro would be a waste if they don't intend to do something big in there.

Escarabajo said:
I thought the main purpose of Team Sky hiring Uran was for the support of Wiggins in the Tour. Why else would you hire a pure climber? To take him to the Giro would be a waste if they don't intend to do something big in there.

Well, Uran himself wants to ride the Tour so that's another reason to not send him to the Giro. For the Giro they have Löfkvist who expressed an interest to ride for GC there and they'll probably have Possoni as a protected rider as well and Cioni as a wild card.

Escarabajo said:

To use Uran as a domestique at the Tour would be a waste of the talent they have in him.

I hope they bring him to the Giro. Its wrong for PT teams to insult their automatic gt status. Unless they send Uran or Ebh there thats what they would be doing, considering that there are some superior riders who wont be getting an invite.

A

Anonymous

Ive asked a mod to split this as its an interesting discussion, and ive just done a short blog on the very subject.

A

Anonymous

Why I wouldnt take Brad to the Tour.

A phrase that is likely to raise a few eyebrows, but is it such a crazy idea?

Brad is obviously going to be riding the Tour. Hes Sky's leading British rider, hes finished 4th in the past, and its his big aim for the season. But how well can he do this year?

Six big mountain stages, including 4 summit finishes count against him. Only 41km of individual time trialling, one of the lowest in years, along with a short team time trial. Unlike last year, many of the big contenders are going to be skipping the Giro, so Schleck, Basso and Evans will be going in fresh. A top ten will be a tough ask. And is there a danger again that Sky will be putting all their eggs in the GC Basket and coming out with nothing?

My tour team? Arvesen, Barry, Boasson Hagen, Flecha, Thomas, Stannard, Uran, Zandio, Froome.

A pretty strong team, and one with two things in mind. Stage wins for Boasson Hagen and possibly Flecha, remember Sky picked up no stage wins last year. And then target the mountains classification with Uran, and possibly put him in young riders contention. For me, the KoM jersey could be a genuine target. Traditionally it is won by a rider outside of the GC challengers, a rider who has maybe lost a bit of time over the opening stages and is allowed to get in a break. A stage win or two and the KoM jersey would be no mean reward for the Tour de France for Sky. For Uran there would also be the option of the White Jersey for best young rider. For years dominated by Andy Schleck this year will see a new winner with Schleck being 26 for the start of the tour. The contest for best young rider will be wide open this year. Gesink will be the favourite, Krueziger less so as he is apparently targetting the giro, but outside of those two who else.

Last years result:
2v9vo5t.png

Uran on form could have a real shot at white. Forget the GC, have your own private race against Gesink. Follow his moves, if Schleck etc go off up the hill, ignore them, focus on Gesink.

So what about Wiggins? Id aim his form to peak for June, just in time for the Tour of Switzerland. Nine days of racing, two time trial stages, one serious mountain stage, and seven stages that could be described as lumpy.Previously won by the likes of Frank Schleck (2010), Ullrich, Vinokourov, Cancellara, it is, depending on this years parcours a race that a fully on form Brad could seriously challenge in and add his name to a pretty illustrious list. Then, send him to Austria in early July. Another 8 stage race, with two summit finishes and a time trial. Again, with the competition now quite hitting top form, a peaking Brad could stand a real chance of a high GC position.

Then a couple of rest weeks, maybe a run out at the Brixia Tour, and hes in perfect position to then go to the Classica San Sebastian.

Of course, its never going to happen. Brad will ride the Tour just as the sun comes up each day. But maybe there are alternatives, it doesnt have to be all about those three weeks in July.

I think Brad should ride the Tour, because the other GTs are even worse suited for him. However, he'd have to kill himself for a top 15 finish, so I don't think peaking specifically for it is worth it if it means sacrificing any other parts of the season.

hrotha said:
I think Brad should ride the Tour, because the other GTs are even worse suited for him. However, he'd have to kill himself for a top 15 finish, so I don't think peaking specifically for it is worth it if it means sacrificing any other parts of the season.

Even if it was a crap year and they were soft pedaling, his climbing was good in 09 TOur.

So i think he can get into top 10 and possibly top 6.

With team skys tt strenght its possible he could have a day in yellow after one of the first hilly/ mountain stages.

They doint even contest most mountain stages in the Tour these years. And he should get time in the tt too.

Whose going to beat him for the top 10 if hes on form?
Schleck, Basso, Evans Samu Gesink and VDB. Vino, guys from Giro. But theres spaces, potential injuries etc, and Wiggins isnt that bad.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
My team:

Arveson
EBH
Henderson
Wiggins
Uran
Gerrans
Rogers
Thomas
Flecha

That team will provide:
- 2 posible GC hopes (Uran and Wiggins)
- Strength in the team time trial with Wiggins, Thomas, EBH, Henderson and Rogers
- Sprinters (EBH and Henderson)
- Breakaway stage winners (Gerrans, Flecha)
- Strong domestiques (Arveson, Rogers and Thomas)
- Road captain (Arveson)

As Lofkvist will ride the Giro I'd leave him out the tour squad.

Giro squad:
Barry
Possoni
Cioni
Lofkvist
Cummings
Hayman
Apollonio
Sutton
Knees

Vuelta:
Uran
Swift
Downing
Augustyn
Xandio
Pauwells
Stannard
Froome
Kennaugh

TeamSkyFans said:
I think Wiggins and Thomas will go. Not sure about anyone else. 3 max i reckon.

Yeah I don't think it will be any more than three. I suppose if there was an injury to either Wiggins, Thomas or Cummings then there would be less than three because I don't think they can justify selecting one of the other Brits (you say Stannard, but I think it's a year or two too soon for him really). I think the British factor comes into it when a selection is a close call between riders, like with Cummings.

I think Sky's best chance of a stage win is EBH in a sprint on the back of a very strong lead-out which is why I'd include Hayman, who would also be a good road captain if Arvesen doesn't make it.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Reverend_T_Preedy said:
My team:

Arveson
EBH
Henderson
Wiggins
Uran
Gerrans
Rogers
Thomas
Flecha

That team will provide:
- Strength in the team time trial with Wiggins, Thomas, EBH, Henderson and Rogers
- Road captain (Arveson)

As Lofkvist will ride the Giro I'd leave him out the tour squad.

Giro squad:
Barry
Possoni
Cioni
Lofkvist
Cummings
Hayman
Apollonio
Sutton
Knees

Vuelta:
Uran
Swift
Downing
Augustyn
Xandio
Pauwells
Stannard
Froome
Kennaugh

Pretty much the teams I'd go for, a lot stronger in all 3 teams than last year. Although I think they should have uran as the focal point for the tour, he can top 5 I think with a strong ttt and support from wiggins, lofkvist and rogers

Reverend_T_Preedy said:
My team:

Arveson
EBH
Henderson
Wiggins
Uran
Gerrans
Rogers
Thomas
Flecha

That team will provide:
- Road captain (Arveson)

That's nearly mine - I'd just swap Henderson for Cummings. There's no point taking Henderson as he would never be the best sprinter in any situation, except for a random long break on a flat stage that somehow defied the HTC train. ergo, no point. Cummings would be useful in the TTT and would be a solid domestique for the rest of the tour.

TeamSkyFans said:
Uran on form could have a real shot at white. Forget the GC, have your own private race against Gesink. Follow his moves, if Schleck etc go off up the hill, ignore them, focus on Gesink.

The white jersey is based on your age as of January 1, not your age as of the Grand Départ. Schleck is going to win white again.

Urán should lead the Vuelta. I wouldn't waste him as a domestique at the Tour, but Sky will. Hopefully Wiggins loses enough time by the end of week 2 that Rigo can go stagehunt in week 3. With no time bonuses available he's liable to be the best climber in a break.

Cummings will do the Giro. He likes it and does well there. He was in a lot of breaks in 2008 and 2010 too. Think he was 3rd or 4th in a mountain stage in 2008 in fact.

Edit - indeed he was. 4th to Monte Pora in stage 19 of the 2008 Giro. Kiryienka left his break companions behind at the bottom of the climb and soloed in 4 minutes ahead of di Luca, who caught the other breakaways Efimkin and Cummings.

TRENDING THREADS