• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Slipped disc

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Ohh... So you just don't like SRAM disc brakes... I see.

When I owned a bike shop, I developed a keen dislike for spam after I was called on the carpet twice by a 'big boy' in the spam heirarchy, because I complained loudly about the 14-16 levers, chainrings, cogsets, rear ders..I had to warranty. I mentioned that 'maybe' they ought to test/design this crap so the cycling public wouldn't be the 'beta testers'. This was before the disc brake fiasco/recall. So, if spam disappeared tomorrow I would shed not one tear. I expect the 3 'pro' teams that will using their etap foolishness in 2016 will again see how crappy their stuff is. Money/sponsorship won't buy cycling happiness when some of their riders loose stages because their crap breaks.

Not a fan of disc brakes either except for the specific arenas where they really make a difference. Wet, sloppy, muddy, tandems, touring(altho mechanical a better idea, IMHO). I rankle at the market-speak about how ya just gotta have discs on your enthusiast's, dry day, mosty flat, sunday ride..along with tapered forks, thru axle hubs..blah, blah..add in the dopey idea of ceramics and you get a marketeer's trifecta..

So I applaud FC, and yes, I have a Merckx MXLeader with EPS...and Delta brakes, and gee, they work just fine.

Really?... The Delta brakes on my Bianchi Centenario are for sh!t... but the look really cool. It's OK though, they haven't see a mile of wet road in over a decade. Isn't it amazing how once controversial components become classics? There's hope for you yet with road discs.

Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Great post! The level of pure "silly" being invoked in the name of maintaining the status quo regarding braking in road cycling is getting ridiculous. Particularly since those posing the most vociferous objections, were likely some of the earliest adopters of previous leaps in technology, from clipless pedals, to brake lever shifters, to sub 1200gr carbon wheelsets... Where was the outrage over safety issues then? To be fair, there were some at the time, but no one can remember them now. It will be the same looking back on road disc brakes in a very short time.
Easy to point out the technology changes that have stuck, but how about all those that haven't. And there are many. Which category will disc brakes fall into?

I am neither for or against disc brakes, but I have the feeling I will finish my cycling life without them (like electronic shifting). I think that they will be used by a minority of cyclists, much like electronic shifting, and will not become standard equipment for many of the same reasons (cost, complexity).

Only time will tell of course.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Bustedknuckle said:
VeloFidelis said:

When I owned a bike shop, I developed a keen dislike for spam after I was called on the carpet twice by a 'big boy' in the spam heirarchy, because I complained loudly about the 14-16 levers, chainrings, cogsets, rear ders..I had to warranty. I mentioned that 'maybe' they ought to test/design this crap so the cycling public wouldn't be the 'beta testers'. This was before the disc brake fiasco/recall. So, if spam disappeared tomorrow I would shed not one tear. I expect the 3 'pro' teams that will using their etap foolishness in 2016 will again see how crappy their stuff is. Money/sponsorship won't buy cycling happiness when some of their riders loose stages because their crap breaks.

Not a fan of disc brakes either except for the specific arenas where they really make a difference. Wet, sloppy, muddy, tandems, touring(altho mechanical a better idea, IMHO). I rankle at the market-speak about how ya just gotta have discs on your enthusiast's, dry day, mosty flat, sunday ride..along with tapered forks, thru axle hubs..blah, blah..add in the dopey idea of ceramics and you get a marketeer's trifecta..

So I applaud FC, and yes, I have a Merckx MXLeader with EPS...and Delta brakes, and gee, they work just fine.

Its called Sram and I have used it for years without any issues.
Sram's new electronic set up has got rave reviews check GCN.
There plenty of cyclists who have had no issues with Sram.
I know a few cyclist who are always having issues with campy.
Its campy who don't warranty their parts unless you use the mega expensive tool kit. What a load of bullshed.
Buy Campy and then you have to buy the expensive tool kit or you can default the warranty. Bleed the idiots of money.
Sram works fine, 3 pro teams now on Sram :D
Di2 has caused countless fLUFF ups in races and so did ESP last season.

over and out :D

ray j willings said:
Bustedknuckle said:
VeloFidelis said:

Its called Sram and I have used it for years without any issues.
Sram's new electronic set up has got rave reviews check GCN.
There plenty of cyclists who have had no issues with Sram.
I know a few cyclist who are always having issues with campy.
Its campy who don't warranty their parts unless you use the mega expensive tool kit. What a load of bullshed.
Buy Campy and then you have to buy the expensive tool kit or you can default the warranty. Bleed the idiots of money.
Sram works fine, 3 pro teams now on Sram :D
Di2 has caused countless fLUFF ups in races and so did ESP last season.

over and out :D

Links please? and as a bike shop owner I had the 'pleasure' of warrantying spam all the time and dealing with the big knuckleheads at spam HQ.

BTW-what 'expensive tool kit'?? Ya mean the chain tool? Not really a 'tool kit'. I have worked on Campagnolo for 30 years and no 'expensive tool kit' required.

Funky shifting protocalls, one battery fails(of 4) and no mas shifting. I'm SURE when they mate it disc(where are the etap/hydro disc levers?), they won't have any problems. :eek:

If ya like it-groovy, it's light after all. I would rather walk, thanks. Now out of the bike shop, I am thrilled I don't have to
-work on slam
-sell scam
-use spam..

Paolini started doing cocaine when he heard he had to use spam :D

A spam rider with a broken chain..shocking!!
http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/12/news/gallery-2015-superprestige-diegem_391845

Over....welcome back..

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
This one of many who have had a ESP problem.
" I have since dropped the bike at the local Campag distributor as I purchased the bike in a different city to where I live and they have looked over the Campag EPS system, believe there may have been water on the connectors, have cleaned these up, reset the system and beleive they have solved it. So now I have a problem, either I have a faulty groupset or my groupset is not waterproof......

The bike shop I bought it from, believe they have seen this RD fault 6 times in the last 2 weeks and it is a system issue that requires full replacement"

A few posters on the Weight Weenie site have had issues and do a google and you will see quite a few problems have occurred .

I can post loads more but its pointless. " round circles"

Its 2 mens pro teams on Sram " my error" and 3 on Campy just 3 ;) the rest on Shimano with 2 of those switching to FSA.

I have used Red for years . No issues. perhaps you did not set it up properly ;)

One of my friends is a mobile mechanic and he wont touch Campy because they void the warranty if you don't use their tools. They are fraking expensive. He has so many clients so its not a issue for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68cV00oRK1M&feature=iv&src_vid=mCmxZOHFnSM&annotation_id=annotation_3292045161

Hubris: [hyoo-bris] noun:

The ability to defend an arcane and esoteric brand component system fraught with flaws and system inconsistencies, while completely bashing another brand emulating the exact same product development model.

HHhmmm...

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Hubris: [hyoo-bris] noun:

The ability to defend an arcane and esoteric brand component system fraught with flaws and system inconsistencies, while completely bashing another brand emulating the exact same product development model.

HHhmmm...

They are not the same. If they were the same then we would not be having this discussion. Emulating ? Not really.
Its all about development. They all go there own routes. Shimano . Campy. Tiso. FSA. Spam :D . Microshift etc

em·u·late (ĕm′yə-lāt′)
tr.v. em·u·lat·ed, em·u·lat·ing, em·u·lates
1. To strive to equal or excel, especially through imitation: an older pupil whose accomplishments and style I emulated.
2. To compete with successfully; approach or attain equality with.
3. Computers To imitate the function of (another system), as by modifications to hardware or software that allow the imitating system to accept the same data, execute the same programs, and achieve the same results as the imitated system.

Uh huh... it's OK not to know the word, or that there is any appreciable difference between component manufacturers... You'll figure it out.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

VeloFidelis said:
em·u·late (ĕm′yə-lāt′)
tr.v. em·u·lat·ed, em·u·lat·ing, em·u·lates
1. To strive to equal or excel, especially through imitation: an older pupil whose accomplishments and style I emulated.
2. To compete with successfully; approach or attain equality with.
3. Computers To imitate the function of (another system), as by modifications to hardware or software that allow the imitating system to accept the same data, execute the same programs, and achieve the same results as the imitated system.

Uh huh... it's OK not to know the word, or that there is any appreciable difference between component manufacturers... You'll figure it out.

Perhaps you need to understand this word.
Pedantic.

Re:

ray j willings said:
" I have since dropped the bike at the local Campag distributor as I purchased the bike in a different city to where I live and they have looked over the Campag EPS system, believe there may have been water on the connectors, have cleaned these up, reset the system and beleive they have solved it. So now I have a problem, either I have a faulty groupset or my groupset is not waterproof......

The bike shop I bought it from, believe they have seen this RD fault 6 times in the last 2 weeks and it is a system issue that requires full replacement"

A few posters on the Weight Weenie site have had issues and do a google and you will see quite a few problems have occurred .

Its 2 mens pro teams on Sram " my error" and 3 on Campy just 3 ;) the rest on Shimano with 2 of those switching to FSA.

I have used Red for years . No issues. perhaps you did not set it up properly ;)

One of my friends is a mobile mechanic and he wont touch Campy because they void the warranty if you don't use their tools. They are fraking expensive. He has so many clients so its not a issue for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68cV00oRK1M&feature=iv&src_vid=mCmxZOHFnSM&annotation_id=annotation_3292045161

You said 'races' and 'racers', not individuals that buy their stuff at bike shops. Maybe the 'shop' doesn't know what they are doing?? :)

WHAT TOOLS?? I was a Campagnolo ProShop for almost a decade..there are no 'Campagnolo' tools except the chain tool!!! They have a Campagnolo 'tool kit', with tools that apply them selves to things like 1 inch threaded headsets. They don't even have a 1 1/8 inch head tube reamer..

If your guy inna truck that works on commuters can't figure out the whole Campagnolo/tool(?) gig, well, he purposely gives away business and those that DO have Campagnolo stay away from him and go to a real pro shop-so what.

You like sram crap, good for you, not for me. Again, where are the etap/hydro groups? spam is all in on disc for 2016..they will have one, and it will fail, at alarming rates..

OBTW-I know a guy that works for GCN and they had a legion of wrenches and a van full of spares for that video, to make it sure it didn't fail on camera(it only took 3 tries to do that). I'm sure the GCN guys are enjoying their free stuff from sram(bribes??).

And be careful Ray, yer gonna get banned again.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
ray j willings said:

You said 'races' and 'racers', not individuals that buy their stuff at bike shops. Maybe the 'shop' doesn't know what they are doing?? :)

WHAT TOOLS?? I was a Campagnolo ProShop for almost a decade..there are no 'Campagnolo' tools except the chain tool!!! They have a Campagnolo 'tool kit', with tools that apply them selves to things like 1 inch threaded headsets. They don't even have a 1 1/8 inch head tube reamer..

If your guy inna truck that works on commuters can't figure out the whole Campagnolo/tool(?) gig, well, he purposely gives away business and those that DO have Campagnolo stay away from him and go to a real pro shop-so what.

You like sram crap, good for you, not for me. Again, where are the etap/hydro groups? spam is all in on disc for 2016..they will have one, and it will fail, at alarming rates..

OBTW-I know a guy that works for GCN and they had a legion of wrenches and a van full of spares for that video, to make it sure it didn't fail on camera(it only took 3 tries to do that). I'm sure the GCN guys are enjoying their free stuff from sram(bribes??).

Usual rubbish response. GCN and others rave about the new electronic red and your best response is they had a van full of spares :D Did you watch the video " think about it"

Saying Sram will fail is just an assumption on your part not a Fact.
Di2 failed quite badly for Sky. [ I posted a video previously] to show this.
So lets so how Sram do in comparision. Not just assume because you are bias

My friend has a very high end mobile workshop . He goes house to house and knows his stuff and will not touch campy. His own bike has di2.

I will be posting a photo/photo's of my new custom weight weenie bike soon.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

VeloFidelis said:
ray j willings said:
Perhaps you need to understand this word.
Pedantic.

MMmmm... as in obsessing over the minutia of non existent differences among component manufacturer's products, and their relative weights... yes, I see.

Why don't you use some Campy EPS shifters with a Tiso 12 speed electric front mech with a d12 rear mech using a Tiso 12 speed cassette, on a 10 speed hub . I mean they are all the same and it should all work fine :D

ray j willings said:
Bustedknuckle said:
ray j willings said:

Usual rubbish response. GCN and others rave about the new electronic red and your best response is they had a van full of spares :D Did you watch the video " think about it"

My friend has a very high end mobile workshop . He goes house to house and knows his stuff and will not touch campy. His own bike has di2.

I've raced for over 17 years and all but two of my bikes have had Campagnolo. I'll tell you now that there's no black art to maintaining it and keeping it running nicely. If an 18yo kid can look after a Campy 9 speed groupset well enough to get over 3 seasons then an experienced, qualified mechanic can surely maintain the current 11 speed cable groupsets at the very least.

TBH, if your friend explicitly refuses to even entertain the idea of working on Campagnolo then I'd seriously question his ability. What would you think if a mechanic refused to work on Shimano, no questions asked?

ray j willings said:
Why don't you use some Campy EPS shifters with a Tiso 12 speed electric front mech with a d12 rear mech using a Tiso 12 speed cassette, on a 10 speed hub . I mean they are all the same and it should all work fine :D

I see the nuance of component compatibility has escaped you. But hey... if you can make that work?... I'll bet it's reeeally light.

Bustedknuckle said:
ray j willings said:

kicking @rse, takin names and predicting the future :D

ray j willings said:
Bustedknuckle said:
ray j willings said:

He was there for the GCN shoot, you and I weren't.
Yes I watched it and he also saw these guys put their new scam stuff in their cars as they drove home. They don't call campaign contributions 'bribes' either.

If your 'friend' wants to turn away Campagnolo business because he is ignorant as a business man or wrench, that's up to him. Although I understand, when I open my repair shop locally I'll be happy to help spam users, 'out the door'.

Weight 'weenie', how appropriate. Remove your appendix or one kidney yet? Why not?

Writing your name Wilings is lighter too.

OBTW-short memory, red chainring, red front Der, red rear Der, first gen disc brakes...all introduced then recalled. Some hard 'R', some soft.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Hydro shifting? No. Pointless now electronic rules the roads.
Hydro systems look to be a potential improvement over cabled systems and will likely be competing in price with Cabled systems. No problem with cable routing, no added friction at each bend in the cable, lighter shift lines, no battery to charge, totally sealed from the elements and mechanics with jet washers. Adjustment could be stable for years. There may even be weight advantages over both systems. Electronic may have the edge for Pros but for the rest of us Hydro shifting has some advantages.

Master50 said:
King Boonen said:
Hydro systems look to be a potential improvement over cabled systems and will likely be competing in price with Cabled systems. No problem with cable routing, no added friction at each bend in the cable, lighter shift lines, no battery to charge, totally sealed from the elements and mechanics with jet washers. Adjustment could be stable for years. There may even be weight advantages over both systems. Electronic may have the edge for Pros but for the rest of us Hydro shifting has some advantages.

I don't mind the sound of hydro shifting. Combine with hydro direct-mount rim brakes and it may be a good alternative to the electronic+disc trends. Nothing like a bit of competition to keep'em honest.

winkybiker said:
Master50 said:
King Boonen said:

I don't mind the sound of hydro shifting. Combine with hydro direct-mount rim brakes and it may be a good alternative to the electronic+disc trends. Nothing like a bit of competition to keep'em honest.
The other thing to consider is what is more complicated? A combination electronic/hydraulic system or a single hydraulic system for shifting and brakes?

This may be part of the reasoning behind Rotor looking at developing a hydraulic groupset.

Master50 said:
King Boonen said:

Afraid I just don't see it, but happy to be proved wrong as always.

Electronic will get cheaper and cheaper to the point where it's available on £1500 bikes. It's much easier to maintain than a hydro set up and at that price it becomes accessible to pretty much everyone if they want it.

Smash an electronic or cable mech and it's a few minutes re-indexing. Smash a hydro mech and it's a full system bleed and reset.
42x16ss said:
winkybiker said:
Master50 said:
King Boonen said:

The other thing to consider is what is more complicated? A combination electronic/hydraulic system or a single hydraulic system for shifting and brakes?

This may be part of the reasoning behind Rotor looking at developing a hydraulic groupset.

Not sure it would be possible to have a single hydraulic system for brakes and shifting, it would be very complicated.

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
ray j willings said:

Who is that you know who works with us?

Whoever it is, they don't seem to be telling the truth - I can't think of any ride/video we've ever done at GCN where we've had more than a couple of wheels as spares, and most of the time it's just a few inner tubes.