• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So in what year was there a clean tour winner?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
yeah, probably almost everyone thought then "omg what the heck is going on with le tour if Levi attacks??! :eek:" in all fairness, attacking inspiration reached Leipheimer awhile. On the next mountain stage, he rode the whole alpe-d'huez sitting in the last position in all groups loool. :)

Well, the only thing that is worse than a doper is someone who races like he's clean.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
guilder said:
If there was anything against Hinault the French would never let it see the light of day. Therefore, Lemond can froth all he wants.

LMAO.. utter nonsense!

The French press never protected their own riders from scrutiny. Whereas the USA have a tradition of sweeping dope cases under the rug (and actually the UK do this too).

And for that matter, the Italians also seem quite capable of harrassing their suspects. the anglo-saxon myth is a myth indeed.

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
I have to ask this question. Can there be a clean tour de france winner in the eyes of the clinic, if so what year?

I don't blame the clinic...this sport is ripe with PEDS and substance abuse dating back to the days of Merckx. But just like any other sport probably...only difference is in the sport of cycling, testing is more consistent and thorough. That's why cycling probably has a bad name, and all these other sports don't really have as bad a reputation for cheats.

There is suspicion behind pretty much all the legends of tour: Merckx, Lemond, Contador, Armstrong, and now even Wiggins...

Who is clean in cycling? Don't tell me it's the guy 6 hours behind in the overrall. The only clean rider I think I know for certain right now is Menchov and maybe Cadel.

Raymond Poulidor never won, but ran Anquetil very close in 1964. In an era of blatant amphetamine abuse he always swore he was clean. However he did refuse to undergo a dope test one time so maybe not.

TRENDING THREADS