• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So what should Joe have done?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

So what should he have done..

• Taken his ban and named everyone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The only part of Joe's activities that I don't really think was overly smart, was agreeing to testify at the Landis hearing. In doing so, he brought a world of pain down on himself and also exposed his import/distribution business to the light of day.

Probably not what he aimed to do?

That said, he was in a situation he hated and all-roads (well, all those other than the omerta route..) seemed to point to him being cast out of cycling, in either a riding, management or coaching role.

I imagine it's been h3ll for Joe - pretty much every sporting achievement has been ripped from him and a future career sidelined/written off. That really takes a strong person to stand up and take that. For that, I both admire Joe and feel a large chunk of sympathy for the guy. If he was more of a weasel, he would have admitted a one-off use of testosterone, taken his ban and kept his income secure via his online sales. Clearly, he's not that man!

May 8, 2009
Visit site
So what should he have done..

I guess he had no option to do anything else than what he has done. You cannot play with the Justice. For that he does deserve respect, not simpathy.

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Joe had 2 options - sustain omerta and probably stay in cycling, or come-clean and get completely out of the sport. I'm not sure there is a 'right' answer to this, we can see that diferent guys have taken different paths...

I can't think of too many other athletes who have (alongside their own use) freely admitted to drug trafficking and selling PEDs. Joe could easilty have avoided 'justice' there! That was his choice.

Given the circumstances I voted only to name the suppliers only which are the main target for breaking the chain IMO. But now I am having second thoughts about voting for naming all. The problem is that some of this people trusted Joe when purchasing the dope. I guess they are cheaters but I am not sure if I would be able to point the finger at them if in the past they helped get some money and trusted me when doing the deals.

I'd probably change my vote now after reading some of the posts
.:eek:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Given the circumstances I voted only to name the suppliers only which are the main target for breaking the chain IMO. But now I am having second thoughts about voting for naming all. The problem is that some of this people trusted Joe when purchasing the dope. I guess they are cheaters but I am not sure if I would be able to point the finger at them if in the past they helped get some money and trusted me when doing the deals.

I'd probably change my vote now after reading some of the posts
.:eek:

and they in turn asked fans to trust them and their performances.