• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So when will GVA get his Clasica San Sebastian title?

Should Froome's time have been neutralized today?

• Yes

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Greg got hit by a motorbike in the finale of the Clasica San Sebastian 2015 while leading the race, but then got hit by a motorbike.

They didn't give him the same time as Yates either.

Unequal justice...

Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:
Greg got hit by a motorbike in the finale of the Clasica San Sebastian 2015 while leading the race, but then got hit by a motorbike.

Unequal justice...

I'm not a Froome fan either, but if you can't see the difference, you're stupid.

Rules are enforced completely arbitrarily, and result is different? :confused:

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:

Unequal justice...

I'm not a Froome fan either, but if you can't see the difference, you're stupid.

What difference?

I totally agree unfortunately, CSS organizers don't have the pressure that ASO has on all world watching the race and seeing yellow jersey took out by poor organization. They just let it go, small *** race, no one would care that it would affect the race in any way.

It's down to commisaries, and they decide what they decide. There are no rules for cases like this, gotta evaluate accordingly.

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:

Unequal justice...

Same here.

Red Rick said:
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:

Unequal justice...

I disagree with the neutralization today, but there is a clear difference. How do you neutralize a one day race? GVA had a 5 second advantage with 10km still to race. Sure, he could have been awarded the same time as the winner, but what's that worth anyway?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:

Unequal justice...

What's the difference?

Why did Contador lose time on the first stage of the Tour 2011 when he got hit by a spectator?

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
There are rules and there is common sense.

So many times have riders been *** over by the dumbest of rules but they can get away with it because it's a small race and not many people care.

But when it's the biggest stage and everyone is looking its obvious how dumb some of the rules are when they are enforced and they just couldn't do it this time. Hopefully it changes in the future.

Things like Porte's 2 min penalty for getting a wheel from another team ... why is that a thing.

DFA123 said:
Red Rick said:
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:

Unequal justice...

I disagree with the neutralization today, but there is a clear difference. How do you neutralize a one day race? GVA had a 5 second advantage with 10km still to race. Sure, he could have been awarded the same time as the winner, but what's that worth anyway?

**** happens. If it is being extrapolated that Froome would have maintained the gap instead of completely collapsing and ending up being caught by the Quintana group, it should also be extrapolated that GVA would have maintained his gap and not ended up being caught by Yates.

OP, add a poll for whether the times should have been neutralised by the commisaires or not today

El Pistolero said:
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:

Unequal justice...

What's the difference?

Why did Contador lose time on the first stage of the Tour 2011 when he got hit by a spectator?

Cause San Sebastian is a one day race and the Tour a stage race ofcourse. I'm comparing to San Sebastian not to the Contador incident.

Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:

Unequal justice...

What's the difference?

Cause San Sebastian is a one day race and the Tour a stage race ofcourse.

So whats the difference between 2011 Contador and 2016 Froome?

Just because Froome was in yellow at the time of his crash doesn't make him eligible for special treatment.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
By the way, I'd rather see Froome win than Quintana, at least Froome attacks. My problem lies with the unfairness towards other riders who got *** over by spectators or the organisation itself.

PremierAndrew said:
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:

Unequal justice...

What's the difference?

Just because Froome was in yellow at the time of his crash doesn't make him eligible for special treatment.

I'm not comparing to the Contador incident. I'm not saying that the jury did the right thing today (I would've give him the same time as Yates or something like that). I'm just saying that there is a big difference between a one day race and a stage race. You can't just give someone the win cause he had bad luck.

PremierAndrew said:
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:

Unequal justice...

What's the difference?

Contador 2011 shouldn't have lost time either. Just cause one result in the past was decided wrong doesn't mean that we can't correct moving forward.

These idiotic fans need to be dealt with.

PremierAndrew said:
**** happens. If it is being extrapolated that Froome would have maintained the gap instead of completely collapsing and ending up being caught by the Quintana group, it should also be extrapolated that GVA would have maintained his gap and not ended up being caught by Yates.

OP, add a poll for whether the times should have been neutralised by the commisaires or not today
I agree with the sentiments, the problem is certainly the decision today - which is just guesswork and artificial. It's a cop out by the ASO for sure. Nonetheless, you obviously can't give a one day race win to a guy who crashed out 10km from the finish. It's just not comparable to adjusting the GC of a grand tour.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
DFA123 said:
PremierAndrew said:

I agree with the sentiments, the problem is certainly the decision today - which is just guesswork and artificial. It's a cop out by the ASO for sure. Nonetheless, you obviously can't give a one day race win to a guy who crashed out 10km from the finish. It's just not comparable to adjusting the GC of a grand tour.

Lucien van Impe lost the Tour in 1977 because he got hit by a car. French guy won.

El Pistolero said:
DFA123 said:
PremierAndrew said:

Lucien van Impe lost the Tour in 1977 because he got hit by a car. French guy won.
OK, what's that got to do with GVA and San Sebastian?

I agree that Froome shouldn't have had his time adjusted today; but it's just not the same situation as a one day race.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
DFA123 said:
El Pistolero said:
DFA123 said:
PremierAndrew said:

OK, what's that got to do with GVA and San Sebastian?

I agree that Froome shouldn't have had his time adjusted today; but it's just not the same situation as a one day race.

It is the same. ASO theorizes that Mollema wouldn't have dropped Froome. How do they know that? Why can't I theorize that GVA would have kicked Yates' butt then?

El Pistolero said:
It is the same. ASO theorizes that Mollema wouldn't have dropped Froome. How do they know that? Why can't I theorize that GVA would have kicked Yates' butt then?
Well you can theorize what you want. But I think we both know it's nonsense to award a one day race win to a guy who doesn't cross the line first. Artificially adjusting the GC like this is also a bit of a disgrace imo, but the option to do it is in the rules for unforseen circumstances.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
DFA123 said:
El Pistolero said:
Well you can theorize what you want. But I think we both know it's nonsense to award a one day race win to a guy who doesn't cross the line first. Artificially adjusting the GC like this is also a bit of a disgrace imo, but the option to do it is in the rules for unforseen circumstances.

Why not award both Yates and GVA the title then? I remember a certain Paris-Roubaix had two winners, one being Coppi's brother.

El Pistolero said:
DFA123 said:
El Pistolero said:

Why not award both Yates and GVA the title then? I remember a certain Paris-Roubaix had two winners, one being Coppi's brother.
Yeah, maybe that wouldn't have been a bad solution. Perhaps a bit patronising to GVA though - not really sure if he would have even accepted it without fully earning it.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
DFA123 said:
El Pistolero said:
DFA123 said:
El Pistolero said:

Yeah, maybe that wouldn't have been a bad solution. Perhaps a bit patronising to GVA though - not really sure if he would have even accepted it without fully earning it.

It's better than sending him an apology letter he couldn't read (it was in Spanish). :lol:

El Pistolero said:

Unequal justice...

LOL...

Two wrong makes a right?

We are many who feel that Clasica San Sebastian 2015 was a farce it that regard but repeating it at the Tour seems kind of stupid, don't you agree?

TRENDING THREADS