• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So, why isn't Carmichael more popular?

That over exposed tool priced himself out of the market. It should not cost much to hire someone to give the riders illegal cortisone injections. Yeah, Carmichael is an expert at that, but there is really not a big difference between one needleman and another.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
It's just hard to retain credibility when your star client spends a fortune to get advice from another trainer.

Again, to one of my favorite quotes when comparing Carmichael and Ferrari:

Floyd Landis speaking to Daniel Coyle...

(Incredulously) "Come on, you've met them both. Who would you listen to?"

The inference is not CC. :D

Basically, if one were truly to believe he actually was anything else than Lance's personal barista, one would have to explain why ZERO ProTour riders (or any continental riders?!?) are actually retaining his services.

Carmichael might be one of the biggest frauds in cycling today. But hey, I hear he might be riding Leadville this year.

Snake Oil Salesman...

The dude gives me the creeps but to the casual/uninitiated he's still popular. I frequent an area where he runs a couple of camps a year and the locals just think he's the shizz. Some of the folks I ride with regularly spout a bunch of "Carmichael this, Carmichael that..." and I just shake my head. Sad really...

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I need to read his books and compare them to other cycling authors. It seems people love the guy, why I don't know. I know people who are willing and ready to enter his training camps.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
It really does beg the question.

The usual suspects from Puerto, etc. are always surrounding themselves with top riders.
Sassi had a stable of top pros.
Lim jumped the Landis ship and has kept close company with the sports elites.
But nothing for the Time-Crunched Trainer himself?
Levi? Chris? George?

I've haven't heard of any type of exclusive arrangement with LA only. With the money available to the upper echelon riders, you'd think maybe, just one, would have some lucrative arrangement with the man so closely associated with The Almighty.

And yet...

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not defending the guy, but I'll play Devil's Advocate. I just checked the website, and Hincapie was listed, so if it's current, that's one. Back when I was a naive LA fan, I followed CC on twitter. Except for riding the scooter in Hawaii, he wasn't even on the road with Lance for his comeback - Dean Golich was the man doing tests and things.

But Carmichael does have a business, with a new building built to order, and sixty coaches listed. Running a business like that is pretty much a full time job. He was also coaching some development team in South America or somewhere, and the business does coach Ironman triathletes and athletes in other sports.

I'm not sure why he needs to coach a pro cyclist to justify himself to anyone. How many coaches based in America currently coach riders in the pro peloton? I have no clue. But if a guy with kids builds a successful business where he gets to spend time with them, I don't trash him because he's moved on from what he claimed to do years ago.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Since he "coached" Lance to so many Tour victories on power bars and gatorade, I wonder why no ProTour riders are taking advantage of his extensive "expertise"?

Is there any single rider, even on RadioShack currently using this under-utilized tool?

Because Lance had an exclusive contract with him of course......

And you too can have an exclusive contract too for $12.43.

2wbx346.jpg

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand, the guy makes a pretty good living doing what he does plus has time enough to dabble in racing. It's quite possible that he's happy with things as they are.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Carmichael does have a business, with a new building built to order, and sixty coaches listed. Running a business like that is pretty much a full time job. <snip>
I'm not sure why he needs to coach a pro cyclist to justify himself to anyone.

9000ft said:
From what I understand, the guy makes a pretty good living doing what he does plus has time enough to dabble in racing. It's quite possible that he's happy with things as they are.

Agreed. All very valid points. He's probably more than glad to move on with his own life.

But here's the thing: He built his entire business around "being LA's coach."
If he genuinely did contribute to the most successful run of TdF victories in history, then wouldn't we at least hear his name being bandied about by other top pros as a guy they would want to train with or learn from? The silence seems to be deafening.

On the other hand, if he was just providing elementary advice to what we are supposed to believe was a once-in-a-generation, exceptionally talented athlete, then what is he really selling? And what are people buying into?

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Obviously this is just another marketing/sponsorship deal for L.A. Inc. You don't think L.A. let Carmichael be his "official" personal trainer with out some hefty compensation do you?

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Agreed. All very valid points. He's probably more than glad to move on with his own life.

But here's the thing: He built his entire business around "being LA's coach."
If he genuinely did contribute to the most successful run of TdF victories in history, then wouldn't we at least hear his name being bandied about by other top pros as a guy they would want to train with or learn from? The silence seems to be deafening.

On the other hand, if he was just providing elementary advice to what we are supposed to believe was a once-in-a-generation, exceptionally talented athlete, then what is he really selling? And what are people buying into?

I agree with your agreement. But the thing that trips me out the most is here is a guy who was actively participating in doping and injecting Junior riders. Even for back in the day, that is some serious sh!t! What were all those coaches thinking?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Elagabalus said:
I agree with your agreement. But the thing that trips me out the most is here is a guy who was actively participating in doping and injecting Junior riders. Even for back in the day, that is some serious sh!t! What were all those coaches thinking?

Same as coaches in China, Brazil, Belgium, Russia, etc., etc., etc., just win baby! Would you still like your kids to become athletes?

theswordsman said:
But Carmichael does have a business, with a new building built to order, and sixty coaches listed. Running a business like that is pretty much a full time job. He was also coaching some development team in South America or somewhere, and the business does coach Ironman triathletes and athletes in other sports.

I too challenge the notion that Carmichael isn't successful.. For the *bike* business, the guy is making a killing if he can keep 60 coaches busy. The criticism that he's not coaching any pros is relative. From a business perspective, coaching enthusiasts is a growth segment. Chasing pros, is not a growth segment.

Did the doping stop because he saw the error in that way? Did he stop because he got into some legal jeopardy? Dunno either way....

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I too challenge the notion that Carmichael isn't successful.. For the *bike* business, the guy is making a killing if he can keep 60 coaches busy. The criticism that he's not coaching any pros is relative. From a business perspective, coaching enthusiasts is a growth segment. Chasing pros, is not a growth segment.

Did the doping stop because he saw the error in that way? Did he stop because he got into some legal jeopardy? Dunno either way....

Carmicheal is a smart guy, I have seen him in action. I myself do not see fault in him....

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Carmicheal is a smart guy, I have seen him in action. I myself do not see fault in him....

That is because you have your nose buried so far up LA's a** you can't see the light of day, let alone a "coach" of a questionable credentials/background. I guess it matters not that he left Cycling USA under a pretty dark cloud, and then paid an out of court settlement to make some Jr. rider's story quietly go away.

Why the media has not made more of a story of this, when he was LA's "coach" for most of his run at the TDF, is again another one of those great mysteries. . . from Dr. F to CC. Will you ever be able to connect the dots?

theswordsman said:
I'm not defending the guy, but I'll play Devil's Advocate. I just checked the website, and Hincapie was listed, so if it's current, that's one. Back when I was a naive LA fan, I followed CC on twitter. Except for riding the scooter in Hawaii, he wasn't even on the road with Lance for his comeback - Dean Golich was the man doing tests and things.

I'm not sure why he needs to coach a pro cyclist to justify himself to anyone. How many coaches based in America currently coach riders in the pro peloton? I have no clue. But if a guy with kids builds a successful business where he gets to spend time with them, I don't trash him because he's moved on from what he claimed to do years ago.

Hincapie works with Max Testa.

DirtyWorks said:
The criticism that he's not coaching any pros is relative. From a business perspective, coaching enthusiasts is a growth segment. Chasing pros, is not a growth segment.

Somebody tell Fuentes and Ferrari that. Apparently, they have it all wrong. ;)

You think he's turning down coaching the top pros in favor of reading SRM files from Cat 5 riders?