• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So, why isn't Carmichael more popular?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mastersracer said:
But if had to explain the physiological assumptions underlying WKO Performance Management he'd look like Sarah Palin explaining international tax law...

Not to defend Carmichael (or Palin), but that would be a trick question: the Performance Manager approach isn't based on any truly physiological assumptions.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
mastersracer said:
But if had to explain the physiological assumptions underlying WKO Performance Management he'd look like Sarah Palin explaining international tax law...

He's a coach displayed for the coaches that use trainingpeaks.com, so don't be surprised to see some defense of him from anyone associated with that site.

comical.png

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
acoggan said:
The latter.

I had in mind something like your decision to raise power samples to their fourth power, average them, then take the fourth root to obtain NP. Isn't the use of the 4th power inspired by an exponential relationship between workload and physiological response (like a lactate curve)?

I've talked with Carmichael, who seems like a nice guy (lawsuits notwithstanding), but I'm not so sure we'd ever see a training peaks webinar from him on 'algorithms for modeling workload variability in large power datasets... '

Trainingpeaks is garbage. I had a friend who used them for a bit. Total crap. The "coach" was a lazy d-bag.

This whole "coaching" thing is such a load of crap. Every yahoo has a "coach" now. I think they hire them in order to have someone to listen to rationalizations when racing plans go awry and they finish outside the top 30.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
This whole "coaching" thing is such a load of crap. Every yahoo has a "coach" now. I think they hire them in order to have someone to listen to rationalizations when racing plans go awry and they finish outside the top 30.

So true. The plans I've seen are pretty much the counterparts to the nutritional supplement industry in terms of using specious scientific arguments to convince fat chodes to buy training plan X.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mastersracer said:
I had in mind something like your decision to raise power samples to their fourth power, average them, then take the fourth root to obtain NP. Isn't the use of the 4th power inspired by an exponential relationship between workload and physiological response (like a lactate curve)?'

The structure of a model (e.g., the Performance Manager) and the input function used to drive it (e.g., TSS) are really two different things.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
the big ring said:
So the Performance manager works without TSS?

Absolutely. You can also use TSS as the input function for other models, such as the original impulse-response model upon which the Performance Manager is based.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
acoggan said:
Absolutely. You can also use TSS as the input function for other models, such as the original impulse-response model upon which the Performance Manager is based.

Fair enough - maybe this is more relevant to the original issue Hamilton raised re Carmichael. 2 questions:

1. Was Chris a beta-tester for the performance manager?
2. You are organizing a workshop and can invite one coach to present a talk on 'principles of time constant variations in performance manager for predicting peak performance in grand tour riders' or similar (a talk that gets into the nuts and bolts of WKO applied to elite racers). Would Carmichael be your first choice?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mastersracer said:
1. Was Chris a beta-tester for the performance manager?

No. My beta testers were Hunter Allen, Tom Anhalt, Gavin Atkins, Andy Birko, Lindsay Edwards, Mark Ewers, Sam Callan, Chris Cleeland, Tony Geller, Dave Harris, Dave Jordaan, Kirby Krieger, Chris Merriam, Jim Miller, Chris Mayhew, Dave Martin, Scott Martin, Phil McNight, Rick Murphy, Terry Ritter, Ben Sharp, Alex Simmons, Phil Skiba, Ric Stern, Bob Tobin, John Verheul, Frank Overton, Lynda Wallenfells, and Mike Zagorski.

mastersracer said:
2. You are organizing a workshop and can invite one coach to present a talk on 'principles of time constant variations in performance manager for predicting peak performance in grand tour riders' or similar (a talk that gets into the nuts and bolts of WKO applied to elite racers). Would Carmichael be your first choice?

No. In fact, I don't know if Carmichael has ever used WKO+ (unlike, say, Tim Kerrison).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
the big ring said:
So if you didn't use TSS, what would you use to "drive" the Performance Manager.

Meaning, if you don't own a powermeter? Probably Banister's original TRIMP...although Foster's session RPE might be interesting to try as well.