• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soler update thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
(C&Ped from my post in the General News Thread)

Juan Mauricio Soler announces his retirement

In not entirely unexpected news, former King of the Mountains Juan Mauricio Soler Hernández has announced that, on the recommendation of his neurologist and medical advisors, he will not attempt to return to the sport in an active capacity after his catastrophic injuries in the Tour de Suisse last year. Movistar had said that they would always have a place for him - whether on their World Tour team or their Continental team back in Colombia - should he ever decide to return, but the Colombian has confirmed that he will have to decline said offer.

Soler turned professional with Acqua e Sapone in 2006, winning the Circuit de Lorraine and impressing in the Vuelta a Burgos, before moving to Barloworld in 2007 where he achieved his greatest successes, winning a mountain stage of the Tour de France in Briançon, with further top 5s in the stages to Le-Grand-Bornand, Plateau de Beille and Aubisque, followed by an overall win in the Vuelta a Burgos after triumphing on Lagunas de Neila. Subsequent seasons were marred by injury, although there were glimpses of the talent he had - 2nd in Castilla y León in 2008, 2nd in the Settimana Lombarda and 5th in the Vuelta a Burgos in 2009. He moved over to Eusebio Unzué's Caisse d'Epargne line-up in the aftermath of Barloworld's collapse, but after a spectacular ride to the Alto del Morredero in the Vuelta a Castilla y León (if you haven't seen this, make sure to check it out - Soler puts in an excellent ride to cross to Antón, Mosquera and Contador, then they continually attack each other until Antón eventually gets clear) injury woes continued to derail his season.

In 2011, he struggled in the early season, but results were improving, and it was clear when we got to the Tour de Suisse that he was back to his best, winning the opening road stage to Crans-Montana and being highly competitive to Grindelwald the next day. Sadly, we never got to see how he would have gone in the big mountains of the race, because fate intervened, but I like to think that we would have seen Mauricio, in his inimitable, hunched, awkward style, wrestling the bike up to Malbun and Serfaus with the best, with a big grin on his face as ever.

competitionassuredTdF200701415-vi.jpg

soler_2aetapa.jpg

Let us remember the good times.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Sad that this exceptional climber only had 6 professional years in him due to bad luck. It's incredibly sad to me how some extremely talented riders never get the results they deserve due to the dangers in this sport.
well said.

my heart goes out to him, that he needs to turn away from the sport he loved... on the other hand, i am so pleased that he seems to be doing well.

all the best!

So very sad :(

Crans-Montana was such a great day, it was a "he's back" moment. We thought it was the start of a sustained period of excellence, only now we have to cherish it as his last starring moment on the bike.

All the best to him and his family.