• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soudal - Quick Step Thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why is van Wilder more a main asset than Schmid at the moment? I would actually rate them quite similar right now. Maybe van Wilder has a bigger potential, but that's also unsure because Schmid seems to be the type of rider who progresses very linear year after year. The only problem with Schmid for me as that he seems to go more in the direction in short stage races + hilly one day races rather than the cobbles + hilly races that I would rather see him do.

Imho Van Wilder is more a main asset because he is the only one able and willing to help Evenepoel into the final of a stage in GC/GT at the moment. That is reason enough why he should be valued higher. He is doing a job nobody else at the team can, and for which the team doesn't seem to have the budget otherwise. Then there is the fact that he has just as much potential as Schmid in 1 day hilly races (actually more imho), and more potential in GC's. I don't see Schmid for instance finish top 5 in Burgos tbf, and that was definitely not Van Wilder's ceiling. The team is going into the direction of GC - which is why Soudal has doubled down- that means Van Wilder is either their best GC domestique for Evenepoel, or their first in line to take the place as GC leader in other races.

That said, they are vastly different riders. I think Schmid could be a great stagehunter on all sorts of terrain. He is also a decent TT'er and i think his engine is big enough to go in long breakaways as well as doing domestique work. I think he could be a great asset to a GT team as well and have argued in the past to include him in the Giro team. He is also a lot taller and should do fine in spring classics.

Schmid is much better, he has actually won races (Giro stage, baloise tour Belgium , Coppi e Bartali tour) and can steer his bike round corners much better than van Welder . But van Welder has some Belgian lobbyist in here who are constantly arguing that he is the next great talent of quickstep and should be a leader.
Not sure if you are just trolling again, or if you actually have no idea what you are talking about. So difficult to tell.

This team can still win classics.

However, the wolfpack is dead.

Team needs to go all in for Remco at this point, in both the classics and for GC

Yeah, exactly…

I‘d even advise them to apply for a PCT licence now. ASO will invite them to LBL and TdF, and that‘s all Remco needs.

So Lefevere would avoid to become humiliated in the cobbled Flemish classics, again.

I think they should concentrate now on LBL and TdF, and perhaps leave MSR, RVV and Roubaix to teams who will perform better there, like for example Euskaltel, Bardiani or Bolton Equities… :)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah, exactly…

I‘d even advise them to apply for a PCT licence now. ASO will invite them to LBL and TdF, and that‘s all Remco needs.

So Lefevere would avoid to become humiliated in the cobbled Flemish classics, again.

I think they should concentrate now on LBL and TdF, and perhaps leave MSR, RVV and Roubaix to teams who will perform better there, like for example Euskaltel, Bardiani or Bolton Equities… :)

Remco can win MSR. He's probably targeting it in future years, He also said he would do RVV

They can win any classic, that Remco rides...

Thijs Zonneveld reported in his most recent podcast that Patrick Lefevere is looking for a new owner of Soudal - Quick Step. Apparently both Lefevere and Bakala would like to sell their shares in the team, and talks with 'American investors' are in an advanced stage.

Link to the podcast episode (in Dutch):

Thijs Zonneveld reported in his most recent podcast that Patrick Lefevere is looking for a new owner of Soudal - Quick Step. Apparently both Lefevere and Bakala would like to sell their shares in the team, and talks with 'American investors' are in an advanced stage.

Interesting. I wonder if the "investors" are billionaires looking for a toy? or companies actually looking for a marketing vehicle? It will also be interesting to see what happens with Remco. 99% of Americans have never heard of the Giro, Vuelta, or any of the monuments ... but they know the Tour de France. I think that is why Discover/Postal were so TDF centric.

Consequently, I would think someone from the USA coming in and buying the team would be interested in building a GC juggernaut around Remco, for the primary purpose of winning the TDF.

Furthermore, I could see a company such as Comcast (they own NBC, the group that has the american broadcast rights to the ASO races for the next 6 years) buying a team in order to sell more subscriptions to Peacock (NBC's streaming service).

The ultimate, of course, is if Trump bought the team and had them race around Europe in MAGA hats. :tonguewink:

Interesting. I wonder if the "investors" are billionaires looking for a toy? or companies actually looking for a marketing vehicle? It will also be interesting to see what happens with Remco. 99% of Americans have never heard of the Giro, Vuelta, or any of the monuments ... but they know the Tour de France. I think that is why Discover/Postal were so TDF centric.
American investors bought several Premier League football clubs as an investment., while Americans are not known for their fondness of "soccer". I don't know how to earn money with a cycling team, but that Americans only know the Tour de France should not be a problem.

Cav to buy the team and bring in Renshaw to train Remco as a leadout man... ;)

Interesting news, possible change of ownership at the same time as PL is criticising Ineos for trying to sign Remco. Remco is obviously the team's crown jewel right now but that goes both ways, he needs a setup capable of supporting his ambitions and uncertainty around the team ownership raises some questions.

American investors bought several Premier League football clubs as an investment., while Americans are not known for their fondness of "soccer". I don't know how to earn money with a cycling team, but that Americans only know the Tour de France should not be a problem.
I assume the Premier League clubs actually make money (by TV, ticket sales and advertising) and furthermore, the assets of the clubs noticeably appreciate over time. An american investor in the Premier League doesn't have to attract an american audience in order to make money.

On the other hand, if the new investor is an american company (not global), then they have to be attractive to an american audience in order to make money. That implies a focus on the TDF. If the investor is a billionaire playing with his toys (think Tinkoff or IPT), then who knows what will be important, as it is mostly ego focused.

On the other hand, if the new investor is an american company (not global), then they have to be attractive to an american audience in order to make money.
No, the company needs to setup a commercially interesting team, to find sponsors for that team and make money.

American management companies are also(?) interested in buying European cycling management companies. Belgium company Squadra Sports was bought by Wasserman (USA).

Pats getting old, but It is worrying someone like Bakala would feel the need to sell.

New owner of Soudal - Quick Step? Sorry couldn't help myself.

final-2.jpg

Consequently, I would think someone from the USA coming in and buying the team would be interested in building a GC juggernaut around Remco, for the primary purpose of winning the TDF.

Furthermore, I could see a company such as Comcast (they own NBC, the group that has the american broadcast rights to the ASO races for the next 6 years) buying a team in order to sell more subscriptions to Peacock (NBC's streaming service).

The ultimate, of course, is if Trump bought the team and had them race around Europe in MAGA hats. :tonguewink:
What’s the value to a U.S. owner if a unknown Belgian wins the Tour? That said, I thought F1 would never appeal to Americans either.

TRENDING THREADS