• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

South American race thread

Page 95 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They're not messing around!

1511398220_694617_1511398642_noticia_normal.jpg

There are changes due to hotel limitations in Popayán
The first 3 stages change:
1- Palmira circuit (94Kms) Flat
2- Palmira - Santander de Quilichao - Palmira (183 Kms). Real distance is around 140Kms so they are doing something else. Should be flat, though
3- Palmira-Riopaila-Buga 160kms
4- Buga-Pereira-Dos Quebradas-El Boquerón (El Tambo) 155kms
5- Pereira-Cartago-Armenia-Salento 184kms
6- Armenia-La Tebaida-Pereira-Manizales 191kms

Re:

Squire said:
I thought it was gonna have six stages?

For an early season race, the climbs are pretty good. But I'm sure Colombia can provdide better options if they wanted to make something serious.
Right next to the same cities:
Cali (or Palmira) Km18
Armenia: La Línea
Manizales: Letras

And between Pereira and Manizales they could have designed something as crazy as
04%2Bla%2Bvirginia-la%2Bmerced%2B217.png

...but yes, who is going to start the season with such climbs?

Re: Re:

slosada said:
Squire said:

For an early season race, the climbs are pretty good. But I'm sure Colombia can provdide better options if they wanted to make something serious.
Cali (or Palmira) Km18

And between Pereira and Manizales they could have designed something as crazy as

That looks awesome! But indeed not many riders would look forward to that so early in the season, so if they want to get a bit more of an international field (which I think they are succeeding in) they cant do something like that.

Ruudz0r said:
slosada said:
Squire said:

Cali (or Palmira) Km18

That looks awesome! But indeed not many riders would look forward to that so early in the season, so if they want to get a bit more of an international field (which I think they are succeeding in) they cant do something like that.

OR a tough race that can be used by high profile riders to build up form ;) I remember the good old days when Colombia had the Clasico RCN in the 80's, when the likes of Hinault, Roche, Fignon, Kelly, etc. came to ride it in order to get some high altitude training block, while being competitive...... hope this new race lives up to those standards :)

Damn, this thread fell off. Vuelta de la Juventud starts today, big races for the U23s. It's becoming more and more popular to get Colombians (or South-Americans in general)to come over to Europe early, so hard to tell who the favorite is. Reigning champion Cristian Muñoz is starting however to defend his title. I'm interested to see how Rafael Pineda does. Race is likely to be decided on the ultimate day, with a climb to Alto Romeral (3300m).

Pr%C3%B3logoJuventud2018.jpg

Etapa1Juventud2018.jpg

Etapa2NuevaVJuventud.jpg

Etapa3CRINuevaVJuventud.jpg

Etapa4NuevaVJuventud.jpg

Etapa5Juventud2018.jpg

Etapa6Juventud2018.jpg

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Climb to Alto Romeral (3300m)? I never heard of it. Why it has not been used in the Vuelta a Colombia?
Alto San Miguel is south of Bogota but not sure where is this other climb.
Also south from Bogotá:
They will ride to the north climbing San Miguel, then flat to Sibaté and there, turn right (East) from the urban roads of this town. After 6Km it goes south again.
Apparently it was paved in 2010
http://altimetriascolombia.blogspot.se/2011/08/alto-del-romeral-duras-rampas-al-sur-de.html

slosada said:
Escarabajo said:
Climb to Alto Romeral (3300m)? I never heard of it. Why it has not been used in the Vuelta a Colombia?
Alto San Miguel is south of Bogota but not sure where is this other climb.
Also south from Bogotá:
They will ride to the north climbing San Miguel, then flat to Sibaté and there, turn right (East) from the urban roads of this town. After 6Km it goes south again.
Apparently it was paved in 2010
http://altimetriascolombia.blogspot.se/2011/08/alto-del-romeral-duras-rampas-al-sur-de.html
Thanks.

I did more digging and found some nice pictures in Google maps.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
This is Juan David Molano, little brother of Juan Sebastian from Manzana. Sprinting runs in the family. Alejandro Osorio keeps his leaders jersey after winning the prologue yesterday, hadn't heard from him for a while.

Osorio was a 1st year u23 last year, but he did have some good rides. I am happy to see him here so strong again though, he would have won Vuelta del Porvenir in 2016 if it wasnt for a crash I think, hopefully he gets his revanche now in Juventud. He beat Molano in a sprint yesterday btw? that is quiet surprising.

I dont like this years route of the race, the last stage is basically the only hard stage (that stage is really hard though).

TRENDING THREADS