• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

South American race thread

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Decided to start a thread dedicated to the Spanish speaking cyclists. And I'm not talking about Spaniards. Basically about the racing that happens in the region of South America. Colombia, Venezuela, etc. It may be the off season over in Europe, but they're having some races in South America right now. To start off, the Vuelta a Costa Rica's on the 16th of this month.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Vuelta Ciclista a Costa Rica (16.12 - 28.12.2011, 2.2)

00.jpg

Stage 1, Circuito de Esparza, 99 km
Stage 2, Esparza - Liberia, 127 km
Stage 3, Liberia - Ciudad Quesada, 217 km
Stage 4, Ciudas Quesada - Pococí de Guápiles, 116 km
Stage 5, Pococí de Guápiles (CRI), 28,8 km
Stage 6, Circuito de Pococí - Puerto Limón, 154 km
Stage 7, Puerto Limón - Paraíso de Cartago, 148 km
Stage 8, Pacaya - San Juan de Chicuá (CRI), 24,5 km

Rest Day (24.12.)

Stage 9, Circuito Presidente, 94 km
Stage 10, San José - Pérez Zeledón, 126 km
Stage 11, Palmar Norte - Buenos Aires, 160 km
Stage 12, Pérez Zeledón - San José, 135 km

Provisional start list.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
vuelta costa rica will feature 3x!!! cerro de la muerte 3451 meters!!

there will probably also be a livestream. it's broadcasted every day live on national tv and boyaca come with their strongets lineup after losing the vuelta last year mostly due to the downhilling of rojas and others

favorites imo:

freddy montana, ivan casas, henry raabe mendez, jose adrian bonilla, juan carlos rojas villegas, gregory brenes, oscar soliz, marconi duran, arnold alcolea, jorge luis montenegro

rojas is the big star of costa rican cycling. last year he beat the colombians of boyaca and he is like the costa rican version of vino. small. heavy, strong, aggressive and allround

20061217182922-58d28oct06.jpg

542036_1.jpg

the cerro de la muerte is legendary for it's climb but even morelegendary for the downhils towards perez zeledon. costa rica is the country with the best downhillers in the world and they give away shows rarely seen. jose adrian bonilla is arguaby the greatest downhiller right now and be sure to check him out

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
the cerro de la muerte is legendary for it's climb but even morelegendary for the downhils towards perez zeledon. costa rica is the country with the best downhillers in the world and they give away shows rarely seen. jose adrian bonilla is arguaby the greatest downhiller right now and be sure to check him out

Any profiles available?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
yeah I followed it a bit. won by carretero incredibel talent from panama going to movistar next year. he is an amazing itt prospect also internationally I think.

overall the climbs in the race weren't too hard so carretero could always be brought back but it's a great win for him after3x winner of tour panama and now biggest race in panama vuelta chiriqui and he has just turned 21

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
yeah I followed it a bit. won by carretero incredibel talent from panama going to movistar next year. he is an amazing itt prospect also internationally I think.

overall the climbs in the race weren't too hard so carretero could always be brought back but it's a great win for him after3x winner of tour panama and now biggest race in panama vuelta chiriqui and he is only 21

Yeah. He had a great team behind him. He carried the lead in all but one stage if I'm not mistaken. One hell of a TT position that he has as well.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
his team was indeed great and well prepared. his position on the bike is amazing. there's a lot of money behind him he's also got the greatest equipment. I think his dad is the director of panama cycling federation and himself a great cyclist too and his grandfather too.we have to see how much progress he can make but he's on a different level in itt and could be going to movistar pt in 2013 I think

Ryo Hazuki said:
his team was indeed great and well prepared. his position on the bike is amazing. there's a lot of money behind him he's also got the greatest equipment. I think his dad is the director of panama cycling federation and himself a great cyclist too and his grandfather too.we have to see how much progress he can make but he's on a different level in itt and could be going to movistar pt in 2013 I think
Indeed, he's on a different level in ITT:

World Championships U23 (Kobenhavn) I.T.T. (35.2 km) 19/09/2011

1. [AUS] DURBRIDGE Luke JAI 42'47"

55. [PAN] CARRETERO MARCIAQ Ramon - 04'42"

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd say different level in his circuit of racing. But still a great time trialist. And although he's a year older than Durbridge, there's still room for much more improvement. I can see him improving as a rider during his time with Movistar.

And yeah, he's a third generation cyclist. I think his dad and grandfather are also named Ramon.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

always funny when the uninformed and unknowing try to mengle in a discussion they have no idea about. you have some sort of obesseion with me don't you?

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Vuelta Chile 2012 start next year on January 5th. Here you can take a look at the stages.

This weekend the last Chilean qualification races are held. Seven of ten foreign teams are already known: GW Shimano, Jamis Sutter Home, Clube Dataro de Ciclismo Foz do Iguaçu, Nacionales Uruguay and Argentina, Team Nippo, Caja Andalucía and KTM - Gebrüder Weiss.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Eric8-A said:
I'd say different level in his circuit of racing. But still a great time trialist. And although he's a year older than Durbridge, there's still room for much more improvement. I can see him improving as a rider during his time with Movistar.

And yeah, he's a third generation cyclist. I think his dad and grandfather are also named Ramon.

yes he's called ramon the third :D

carretero I see next year could podium wc u23 itt if all goes well. ramirez rode very strong wc itt this year despite wrong equipment and every other thing that could've possibly worked against him. simply check ramirez times after check 1 he is in the 5 fastest. well carretero is stronger itt slightly then ramirez I think both can become a weapon in itt in europe. although ramirez is also good climber

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Lupetto said:
Vuelta Chile 2012 start next year on January 5th. Here you can take a look at the stages.

This weekend the last Chilean qualification races are held. Seven of ten foreign teams are already known: GW Shimano, Jamis Sutter Home, Clube Dataro de Ciclismo Foz do Iguaçu, Nacionales Uruguay and Argentina, Team Nippo, Caja Andalucía and KTM - Gebrüder Weiss.

very nice and a very open race without arriagada is hard to see an immediate favor. have to wait for startlist. for chile vicente muga a young prospect is doing very well. was 2nd in vuelta chiapas in mexico recently

theyoungest said:
Yes, facts may distort the discussion ;)

I was actually interested based on your hype of the guy, but it turns out to be slightly overdone, as always.

Ryo talks about Latin American rider --> show interest but with a grain of salt.

It's also a relative thing; if a guy has good technique and position, but because of the Central American calendar is often only doing short-to-mid-length ITTs, then giving him a chance to move up and access to better coaching could improve him greatly. There's potential there. Durbridge comes from a very strong track program in Australia, so he has already had access to some of the very best coaching in the game.

Plus, you have where the Worlds fall in the calendar relative to the European calendar vs. where they fall in the Latin American cycling calendar, and anything else (injuries, mechanicals) that we simply won't know about since Carretero never featured on our screens.

The problem is the sample size of representative performances we have of Carretero vs. anybody major that we can use as a reference point is very small, and thus it is difficult to predict his actual talent level. Much like talking up Igor Antón but only being able to look at his results from the first half of 2009, when he was just getting over a severe injury.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Yes, facts may distort the discussion ;)

I was actually interested based on your hype of the guy, but it turns out to be slightly overdone, as always.

If you know that is usually the case why constantly deride him about it? We can appreciate the enthusiasm and depth of info regarding the cycling scene in South America that he and others bring. If some of the statements are overdone, so what? Just take the good with the bad. Hopefully we all can do the same including myself. I'm trying to be more civil in my posts.:)

theyoungest said:

That's what I thought too. But in that ITT, Carretero actually looked very well (I was at the course).
And if I'm not badly mistaken, he was the rider who had his ITT bars break halfway through, leading to a very awkward position.
For once, I agree with Ryo: He is a good ITT talent.

Fus087 said:
That's what I thought too. But in that ITT, Carretero actually looked very well (I was at the course).
And if I'm not badly mistaken, he was the rider who had his ITT bars break halfway through, leading to a very awkward position.
For once, I agree with Ryo: He is a good ITT talent.
Of course, it's just one result. But I couldn't help posting it ;)

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Lupetto said:

I guess Jamis Sutter Home's doing that since I haven't seen their name on the startlist for San Luis.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I for one welcome Ryo's insight into the South American scene. Yes sometimes he overhypes certain riders, but so does everyone on this forum. Think of the countless Phinney/Sagan/EBH/Rolland type threads that come up any time these riders have a sniff of a good result.

I think we can all see there is a definite increase in South American riders that can and will make it big in Europe again, so reading info on any young stars coming through domestically can only be a positive thing. Keep it coming Ryo.

TRENDING THREADS