• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Speculate: Who will be going to Lance's new team?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Gonna need some young bucks. I think Hincapie would be great to foster along a solid younger generation. But he seems to be rather sore about Astana not giving him a wider berth a few days back.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Gerrans. Seems very chummy with Lance and Levi (trained with them in the US) and mightn't feel all that strongly about riding for Sastre any more.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Levi, Popo, and Horner for sure. Evans? Landis? Doubtful on Kloden. He went to Astana in the very beginning with Vino. I'd guess he'll stay with the Vino-led Astana next year, too.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
The thing with Kloden and Astana is that money thingy. Employees like the idea they will be paid for what they invest into.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Will any of these current Astana riders follow JB and LA to the new team?

Janez Brajkovic
Steve Morabito
Daniel Navarro Garcia
Benjamin Noval Gonzalez
Grégory Rast
José Luis Rubiera Vigil

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Gonna need some young bucks. I think Hincapie would be great to foster along a solid younger generation. But he seems to be rather sore about Astana not giving him a wider berth a few days back.

He's also said he's very happy being on Columbia. One of the reasons he went there is so he could contest the classics. JB's teams have no interest in the classics.

I think George would love to get a Paris-Roubaix win more than anything.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Assuming Bruyneel has a say, he will probably try to get Boasson. Astana made an offer very early in the season, and he also twittered him with praise after his stage win in the giro.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
A few questions about cycling teams

Hello!
I am really frustrated since I really would like simply understand the formation of cycling teams. Many people on other forums are more interested in bringing up politics of the country I live in. (I live in Israel and I do not have any desire to get into it)
BTW- Thanks for the vent.

Anyway,
When all is said and done, if Astana still exists as a team, are the cyclists who have a contract with the team obliged to honor it, or is this an opportunity to switch to another team with out penalty?
Like some other sports, can cyclists "be bought" by one team from another?
Does anyone know how long Kloden is under contract with Astana?
Which criteria does a team have to meet to become a professional team which is automatically invited to the Grand Tours not a wild card team?
What is a test team?

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Astana's big bust up

I fully expect Contador to be riding with Caisse d'Epargne in 2010, probably with Fernando Alonso on board in some capacity as an additional principal sponsor.

No one (who wants to race) is going to want to be on a Vino led Team Astana, mostly because they won't get invited to many (if any) races and certainly not the Tour.

I can't see Hincapie or Vande Velde switching to the new 'Livestrong' team, they're very happy where they are.

Wiggins is under contract and if he does move it will be for serious $$ to the Brit start-up, SKY.

Simon Gerrans is definitely a contender. Dave Zabriskie a possibility too.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Maybe after yesterday Nibali? I'd say Armstrong would have actually found it pretty ballsy from Nibali when he put his arms out on the decent and told Armstrong to do some work with him. Their handshake just after the finish indicated as much.

Maybe bring in Devolder for some of the Classics?

What happens to Astana now? What will they morph into?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Andie_B said:
Hello!
Anyway,
When all is said and done, if Astana still exists as a team, are the cyclists who have a contract with the team obliged to honor it, or is this an opportunity to switch to another team with out penalty?
Like some other sports, can cyclists "be bought" by one team from another?
Does anyone know how long Kloden is under contract with Astana?
Which criteria does a team have to meet to become a professional team which is automatically invited to the Grand Tours not a wild card team?
What is a test team?

Thanks!
A contract with a team is much like a normal employer's contract. Cyclists are not actually 'bought', but sometimes contracts are made void and then the team is compensated. This is rare, however. Usually cyclists switch teams when their contract ends, or they get a new contract. If a cyclist doesn't fit in with a team, both parties can decide to terminate the contract.

Contracts are usually for two years.

I'm not sure about the criteria you mention; it takes a certain investment and performance. The decision which teams are invited has been the cause for a lot of power struggles; I'm not sure what the current status quo is.

You mean the word 'test' in Cervélo's name? I assume it is meant to indicate that the team tests the bikes of the manufacturer, Cervélo; i.e. they ride the newest material. Bikebrands that are first sponsors of teams are rare nowadays, so this is probably the team's way of drawing attention to what makes them different.

Other members probably have something to add to this.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Glockers said:
Will any of these current Astana riders follow JB and LA to the new team?

Janez Brajkovic
Steve Morabito
Daniel Navarro Garcia
Benjamin Noval Gonzalez
Grégory Rast
José Luis Rubiera Vigil

Navarro and noval will follow Contador and Rubiera AFAIK is finally retiring.

TRENDING THREADS