• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sprinters Giro 2013

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Cavendish ******
Degenkolb Goss Ferrari, Viviani****
Bennati, Ventoso, Bouhanni, Modolo, Belleti, Nizzolo, Gavazzi ***
Chicchi, Fellini, Dehaes,Phinney **
Appolonio, Colbrelli, Locatelli, Bole *

Who will be no. 1 sprinter of their squad;

Modolo or Colbrelli?
Fellini or Gavazzi?

Did I miss anyone else who we can expect in the sprints.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Felline is not good in bunch sprints.
But maybe you meant Federico Fellini the director.

Edit: and I'd give Viviani ****.

Viviani I have added.
And I didn't mean Locatelli of course but Colbrelli.

Thank you

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
There are a fair few "names" on that list that have shown few signs of life this year. Even Cavendish himself has looked pretty human.

johngoat said:
Who will be no. 1 sprinter of their squad;

Modolo or Colbrelli?
Fellini or Gavazzi?

Did I miss anyone else who we can expect in the sprints.

Modolo is faster than Colbrelli.

M. Gavazzi is a pure sprinter. Felline is fantastic on selective terrain - Similar characteristics as Paolo Bettini!

If Degenkolb should fail, Argos will have Luka Mezgec as back-up. Mezgec is fast, but also very resilient on the hills. + Excellent on tricky run-ins.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Btw I don't think Saxo will be going for Bennati in the sprints from what they were saying on their website. Breschel if anyone I guess.
We also know that when at his best Daniele is a proven winner in Grand Tour stages, but his primary goals this year is later in the season, so the most important thing for him is to keep building his form and help support Rafal on the windy and flat stages.
http://teamsaxotinkoff.com/ny_news.asp?n_id=3991

wwabbit said:
Why?? What did Viviani ever do to you to deserve that??

Viviani is definitely the second best sprinter in the Giro looking at pure speed, he showed during the spring campaign just how fast he can be.
The thing is he's got HORRIBLE positioning skills...I think he could really win a lot should he have a real train.

In my list of plausible winners I'd choose Cav, Viviani, Nizzolo, Goss, Gavazzi and Modolo.
Bouhanni is a BIG question mark to me after his *dramatic* fall. If he's ok, he's my number 3 sprinter after Cav and Viviani.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Lexman said:
do you think a sprinter can take the red points jersey, given the parcours?

or wil it be a climber?

I think rather obivously it will be a climber. Considering Cav / Bouhanii / Goss will mop up most of the points in first week, and that very likely will withdraw ( I guess ), meaning sprinters that might go to the end will surely not got enough points on the climbers.

TRENDING THREADS