• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sprinting on your hoods??

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Just had a look through the pics of the Ladies Tour of Qatar stage 1 and noticed that the winner Rasa Leleivyte (Safi Pasta) was sprinting on her hoods. I don't think I've seen anyone win a top level pro race bunch sprint sprinting this way before or maybe I haven't been looking! I certainly know where I'd prefer the be holding on & the hoods aint the place!
Anyone seen a top level rider win in this fashion before in a bunch sprint?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
"Fast" Fred Rodriguez has led out plenty of sprints on the tops! Look at some old TdF stuff and you'll see it. Not sure if he contested the win in that position but may well have done...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Serbski said:
"Fast" Fred Rodriguez has led out plenty of sprints on the tops! Look at some old TdF stuff and you'll see it. Not sure if he contested the win in that position but may well have done...

Pretty sure I saw Thor Hushovd win a race from the hoods a few years ago - I don't remember exact details, but it was not a full field sprint and I think there may have been a crash involved, so low speed for everyone.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Lots of riders cant get down to the drops either because they have the bars too low or seat too far back.
Some are just too fat and some are not flexable enough.
Dont get me wrong not flexable after a long hard race .

When you are tired you do whatever you can to get the bike over the line 1st.

A

Anonymous

It took me until i got to the fifth post before i had any clue what anybody was talking about..

sprinting from the hoods.. sprinters from downtown LA perhaps, sprinting with hoods up, maybe some bizarre form of, well, i really dont know..

Now ive worked it out, i would say thats fairly common, maybe not amongst top pros but perfectly normal and comfortable.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
It took me until i got to the fifth post before i had any clue what anybody was talking about..

sprinting from the hoods.. sprinters from downtown LA perhaps, sprinting with hoods up, maybe some bizarre form of, well, i really dont know..

Now ive worked it out, i would say thats fairly common, maybe not amongst top pros but perfectly normal and comfortable.

I think it's fine if you're seated the whole time and just turning on the hurt. If you need to jump out of the saddle it's ****house. You have no leverage countering your legs.

A

Anonymous

Cerberus said:
Ok, I'll display my ignorance and ask. What is a "hood" and why would you/wouldn't you sprint on it?

that was my initial thought, i think its something to do with the top of the handlebars, at the top of the levers..

dimspace said:
that was my initial thought, i think its something to do with the top of the handlebars, at the top of the levers..

Brake hoods (the rubber colored bits):

hudz-med.jpg

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

a couple of reasons you don't normal sprint on the hoods. First when you are in the drops your head and torso are flatter in the wind. 2nd when you are the drops your elbow will be slightly bent,keeping your head and shoulders slightly behind the front hub. On the hoods you get yourself in front of the hub and it's a little bit less stable

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Serbski said:

Exactly! I immediately thought of Fast Freddy when I saw the title of this thread. I remember being astounded watching the slo-mo of him leading out Robbie McEwen from the tops of his bars------it's more of a climbing position but it worked for him.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
The problem with sprinting from the hoods is that it leaves the drops open as a very useful hook to grab someone else's bar. In close quarters such as a bunch sprint if a lot of guys are on the hoods and wildly rocking their bikes side so side it can be a recipe for crashes.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
that Cancellara win is one of my favourites from the last 10 years - brilliant stuff

I would just like it to be known that some brits know what 'on the hoods' means and we do know it is part of a racing bicycle and not somewhere where a miscreant from the 'bloods' or 'crips' would 'put a cap in yo ***'

A

Anonymous

Hugh Januss said:
Oh yeah, now I remember why I used to dislike Greg.

Yea, no kidding. That was a seriously dickish move there.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
dse1969 said:
Just had a look through the pics of the Ladies Tour of Qatar stage 1 and noticed that the winner Rasa Leleivyte (Safi Pasta) was sprinting on her hoods.

Womens cycling......... need I say more.