• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sram Red problems?

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I hope this is the right section to post in.
I am planning to swap to sram red in the coming months and just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with the sram chain or other components and recommend using another brand instead. I thought i saw on another forum people recommended using a shimano chain or another brand instead. Please let me know your thoughts.

cheers

gogo419 said:
I am planning to swap to sram red in the coming months and just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with the sram chain or other components and recommend using another brand instead. I thought i saw on another forum people recommended using a shimano chain or another brand instead. Please let me know your thoughts.

cheers

I would not use the Sram chain or cogset. Chain is 'questionable' in terms of strength and longevity and the Powerdome cogset is noisey.

shimano chain and cogset, 105 level is the one I recommend as they are consumables, afterall.

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
gogo419 said:

cheers

I've got about 1,000 miles on SRAM Red now and I have no problems. Shifts accurately, chain has not caused me any problems, cogset seems fine. Maybe I'm not refined enough of a critic to see the differences or maybe 1,000 trouble-free miles aren't enough of a test, but Red seems as good as the Dura-Ace on my previous bike and I'm happy with it.

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
PC 1090R for sure

I had also heard that it was best to use a shimano chain with my sram red. So when I first bought the groupo I used a shimano 7900 chain. The chain seemed to work OK. I have three wheelsets, one with an ultegra cassette, one with a dura ace cassette, and one with a powerdome. The chain seemed just fine with all the cassettes. But I wasnt totally satisfied so I switched to a PC 1090R chain and I havent been happier. I have had bikes with Dura Ace 7800, Record 10 spd, and now Sram Red. I love the Red and wouldnt go back to the others. My advice, use a PC 1090R chain.:)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I recommend an SRAM 1070, or Ultegra Cassette. Sometimes you can find Dura-Ace 7800 casettes for cheap since they are pushing 7900 now.

For a chain, definitely go with Shimano. Ultegra/Dura-Ace chains work great. Just avoid the hollow pin'd chains as they are less durable.

Stealth said:
I had also heard that it was best to use a shimano chain with my sram red. So when I first bought the groupo I used a shimano 7900 chain. The chain seemed to work OK. I have three wheelsets, one with an ultegra cassette, one with a dura ace cassette, and one with a powerdome. The chain seemed just fine with all the cassettes. But I wasnt totally satisfied so I switched to a PC 1090R chain and I havent been happier. I have had bikes with Dura Ace 7800, Record 10 spd, and now Sram Red. I love the Red and wouldnt go back to the others. My advice, use a PC 1090R chain.:)

Or a 7800 chain. Less expensive, not 'sided' and quieter than the 7900 chain.

May 3, 2009
www.glorycycles.com
I have been running the KMC DX10S on my SRAM Red Pinarello and I am convinced it shifts better and is quieter than the SRAM 1090.

I tested this chain last year on a campy 10 speed bike and it was great there as well.

Has a snap link as well.

Pic of my new FP7 with SRAM Red:
DSC_0002%204.JPG

Cliveds said:
I have been running the KMC DX10S on my SRAM Red Pinarello and I am convinced it shifts better and is quieter than the SRAM 1090.

I tested this chain last year on a campy 10 speed bike and it was great there as well.

Has a snap link as well.

DSC_0002%204.JPG

Went to your blog, had to go to Edge wheel eval. Wheel *****? Hardly, not a single handbuilt in your lineup. Until you do.......

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Cliveds said:

Has a snap link as well.

DSC_0002%204.JPG

Are the Look KEO or Time pedals?

May 3, 2009
www.glorycycles.com
I am a handbuild wheel guy through and through been racing since the 80's so I know and love some 32x3cross. Give me a few weeks and I will cover handbuilts in depth. What fun!

Pedals are keo.

TRENDING THREADS