• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 12:Almería - Velefique, 174km

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Stage 12:Almería - Velefique, 174km

profile12_1_600.gif

stage12.jpg

Any bets on who will/can show?
Valverde?
Evans?
Sánchez?
Danielson?
Basso?

I'd bet Zubeldia and Cobo.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Big stage. hoping gesink can power himeslf to a stage win (the rest day will work againt him and his lack of experience) will be interesting to see which riders do handle the rest day poorly.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Big stage. hoping gesink can power himeslf to a stage win (the rest day will work againt him and his lack of experience) will be interesting to see which riders do handle the rest day poorly.

I must say, gesink is in a commanding position, he looks good. Intersting to see if valv will have bad day. Personally i think valverde will go good today but i think if he is going to have a bad day it will be the 2nd or 3rd mountain stages as the later it gets in a GT valv starts to falter but he may prove us wrong.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
It certainly seems like a stage where he and basso could power up the mountain together. All i know is that it's gonna be a great stage, i'm so excited :D

i'm that excited i'm struggling to keep it in the pants:eek::D. On a serious note, even though basso is 53 seconds behind he has a good team, has kept out of trouble and is poised for the mountain stages ahead by not attacking too much. hecould be the one to watch. Not so sure about sanchez's form though he can make some time up in the time trial over guys like gesink, basso and valverde in the tt.

This is why I am liking this year's route.
I have a rule of thumb for MTFs in Grand Tours.
Climbs must be over 7% minimum average gradient.
Length isn't so important.
Always sorts the men out from the boys.
In the past, the Vuelta have been guilty of including too many +5% neverending grinds,
that favour the team train trial, a la Le Tour.

This stage starts with a near Spanish Alpe D'huez and ends with the same,
while throwing a Croix de Fer into the mid section.

Tomorrow has the hardest possible ascent of Sierra Nevada,
over the dredded Monachil and Pandera, on Sunday, also ends with a major ramp.

Real climber's territory and no place for the faux furred goats.

Basso, Gesink and Evans MUST apply maximum pressure and see if Don Ale has one of his Pitiful climbing days.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Thank God it's Friday!

Everybody will probably wait for the last 2km because of the hard stages in the rest of the weekend. =/

For the Dutch speaking crowd: 5 reasons why Gesink will win the Vuelta.
Hoop doet leven!

/google transleted it, it's not that bad.
Classic translation mistake: He stayed in his uppie on an Alp, :)

A very unbiased article:rolleyes:. Some of the comments their are a little nasty like saying basso's accleration is like a mobile home and cadel is in friend deficit. If that was true i don't think you should say that. The article says that valverde hasn't had a bad day but young riders usually have bad days in GT's as they can't sustain their form over 3 weeks.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
A very unbiased article:rolleyes:. Some of the comments their are a little nasty like saying basso's accleration is like a mobile home and cadel is in friend deficit.

That's just the way this guy writes. Tries to put a little comedy in it. He usually calls Evans Mr. Hubba Bubba :D

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
It seems to me that Basso has managed very well the race so far not attacking and staying very close to the front.
I think the management effort during the race that he is doing may be a very important advantage as the race goes on.
Bet on it to save time in today's stage and as the best candidate to win the Vuelta.

:rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I was right.. friday was on its way and here it is!

Abandons: Marco Marcato (Vacansoleil), Vitaliy Buts (Lampre), Alberto Fernandez (Xacobeo), Gerdemanns (Milram), Farar (Garmin)

Cunego will decide after Sunday if he's in or out.

Re Gesink: He sits in third. He should try to follow today and check out the competition. Get his rythm back, in case he left it on the bed sidetable and stick with the elite.

I wonder how the race will unfold. Have they signed a non-aggression pact and ride up that last climb at a high pace, battling for bonus seconds? Does anyone feel confident that his form will last over these 3 days? Do they want to risk taking time today, only to feel it in the legs tomorrow or Sunday?

On the other hand, Basso needs to take time somewhere in the mountains, so why not start today. Gesink is young, will he have a bad day, or will it perhaps be Valverde. Evans, can he snap, and who will force him on his knees...

so.. what the hell is going on with the time. Still another 2 hrs 20 m before the broadcast!

laura.weislo said:
I'd like to find out who he is - he's very good at recognizing riders and knows his stuff about strategy/tactics.

Nathan O'Neill?
I have no idea, but I know he has anchored the Tour of Cali, in the past.:confused: I will ask around...

Disco Tom still riding towards the front of the group, which says a lot.
Valverde has gone into those awful "chicken shorts".
Vino, badly needs some 4 star plasma.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
A nice ticker/visual is available here

http://app.nos.nl/vuelta/index/

PS> did anyone hear that Gerdemann crashed the other day in his solo attempt on the climb, because his brakes didn't work properly anymore? Apparently when he had a flat on the descent, the mechanic gave him an alu rim, while his bike was specced with carbon brake pads...

I think the final climb suits Valverde. The steepest part is at the base, when he still has some (moderately) fresh teammates to comtrol pace and catch any dangerous attacks. Then it flattens a little where his pure power can keep him in touch with the other contenders, and he, of course, he is the best finisher among the mountain guys.

If Cunego can hang on like he did on stage 8, i wouldn't count him out of being able to do a similar manouvre to that day and take the stage.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
A nice ticker/visual is available here

http://app.nos.nl/vuelta/index/

PS> did anyone hear that Gerdemann crashed the other day in his solo attempt on the climb, because his brakes didn't work properly anymore? Apparently when he had a flat on the descent, the mechanic gave him an alu rim, while his bike was specced with carbon brake pads...
Actually i think it was a neutral assistance unit that "helped" him. He already had lost a lot of time waiting for them to arrive.

TRENDING THREADS