• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 17 Chieti → Blockhaus

What do you think who`ll win this one mountain stage??
Who`ll we see in pink after it??
t17_alt.html

May 26, 2009
Visit site
My bet is Menchov for the win and for the pink jersey. If something dramatic hasn't happened since Monday he will be able to follow Sastre (who will probably attack) and pip him in the end. On Petrano he didn't need to follow Sastre but today I think he will.

My outside bet for the stage win would be Armstrong but I think the finish is too steep for him.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
The finish suits Sastre, but I can't see Menchov and co letting him go again. I say Di Luca in a 3 or 4 man sprint with Menchov, Sastre and maybe Levi if he has recovered from a bad day.

RAI coverage of stage 17

Anyone know when RAI+ will begin broadcasting tomorrow's stage direct to the web? They usually have been starting around 8:40AM EST (GMT+5) but I'm wondering if there will be an earlier start given tomorrow's shorter stage length.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
I think today is the best stage for Sastre if he has recovered well. Menchov is strong but he is more worry of Di luCa, and i think Di Luca is going to crank tomorrow;He had a hard weeks in this giro - Another contender for tomorrow win is Lance. He is waiting his chance and he is going to try it, Another people can win Is Menchov if he defintly deciden to win this Giro. But i think Sastre stage. LOnG. STEEdy. and hoty. SAStre is the more resistint in stage like this, he can recovered well others breaks away and he hasa lonf hill to study his oponents. HE is nearly 35 and he will not have more chances to win the Giro. Is his moment, but will be dificult. Menchov is in Pink and that put you more horses todefend. SO my prediction finale is.
1st SASTRE
2nd MEnchov
3rd LEvi

or

Lance
Menchov
SAStre

I like either Sastre by another handful of seconds, or DiLuca. But I don't know if he can get much time on Menchov. Basso will be in the mix as there will be a blistering pace up the thing, and he rides well in such situations.

I see Lance and Levi losing another minute, maybe more.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I like either Sastre by another handful of seconds, or DiLuca. But I don't know if he can get much time on Menchov. Basso will be in the mix as there will be a blistering pace up the thing, and he rides well in such situations.

I see Lance and Levi losing another minute, maybe more.

80km stage you never know but I can't see Lance or Levi losing a minute, that's unless Di Luca or Sastre go bezerk on last climb and blow the final group to bits...

Sastre will attack, as on Alpe D'Huez, in last year's Tour.
The question is, will Menchov play the role of Cadel Evans?
Also, of course, Carlos doesn't have a handy Andy Schleck.

Surely Liquigas must come up with something better than stage 16?
Di Luca will maybe get one chance to get it right.

Levi? Why is he still in this debate?
Lance? I think Rome is a suitable stage for his holiness!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to guess some one with out a GT hope will win, maybe some one like Garzelli who is climbing well and wants the KOM points.

My wish is to see Basso succeed in his attacks as he has at least been trying to attack. But my gut feeling is Di Luca or Sastre both have there reasons to go for broke. Di luck is running out of chances to take back the pink and Sastre as well. If either wants to win this thing they have to do it today or on Friday. I think Levi is out of it and Menchov wont fold but wont be able to keep up. Just a guess.

L

lookkg386 said:
80km stage you never know but I can't see Lance or Levi losing a minute, that's unless Di Luca or Sastre go bezerk on last climb and blow the final group to bits...

I kind of do expect that, regardless of how L&L do. I expect a very fast pace from the bottom slopes, very fast with riders dropping off the back like flies. And I do think Sastre and especially Di Luca will attack as hard as possible, as many times as possible. This is his home turf, and he knows he has to attack to win, and that's his style. I just don't know that he can drop Sastre for more than a few seconds, and in overall climbing speed, Carlos is as fast, or faster than anyone alive and will try to drop DL and Menchov in the last 5k or so.

Really too bad they lopped off the top of this stage, it could have made a serious difference in the overall GC. Now, we're likely to see 5-15 seconds mark the difference.

A

Anonymous

my suspicioun is that this is the day liquigas and astana will really pile the pressure on...

Menchov doesnt have a great deal of support in the mountains, sastre even less, very much depends on wether basso and pellazoti can actually co-ordinate with each other, and if levi has the strength to keep up with lance or vice versa..

Menchov and Di Luca do have the advantage over the rest, but both looked completely shot on tuesday (so did everyone else mind you), gonna be interesting to see.. Di LUca for one has been at full tilt all giro, im not convinced hes not going to have his day hitting the wall..

menchov to end the day in pink, but sastre, liquigas and levi to have closed the gap.. Arroyo or Serpa to pop out amidst the fighting and win the stage..

You and I see nearly opposing things Dim! Going to be fun to watch then, eh? :)

I actually think Basso and Leakygas will try to set an early fast pace, which is to Basso's liking, just so you know. But I just don't think Levi has it, nor Lance really. If Astana proves me wrong though, I'll post back here and flatly admit it.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
You and I see nearly opposing things Dim! Going to be fun to watch then, eh? :)

I actually think Basso and Leakygas will try to set an early fast pace, which is to Basso's liking, just so you know. But I just don't think Levi has it, nor Lance really. If Astana proves me wrong though, I'll post back here and flatly admit it.

i think astana need to have one day on the front, just to save loss of face if nothing else.. its a question of wether basso and pela can get some sort of agreement between them, and work together instead of arguing over who is team leader..

actually feel a bit worried for menchov today, hes kind of alone up there, theres only two rabo riders who even finished within half an hour of him on tuesday, and hes gonna have them coming at him from all angles.. if he can fend off the attacks today, and stay in pink, then i think its the day that he can point to and say he deserves to be a GT winner (cos lets face it.. nobody takes the vuelta win overly seriously.. ;)).. Im wondering if rabobank might have spent the rest day trying to find dennis some allies.. maybe the dutch and the belgians might be able to help out in return for a few euros in there rabobank accounts.. :)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday was a rest day. Rest days before mountain stages are potential timebombs.
How your body will react to a rest day is completely unpredictable.

It's only normal if a random GC contender blows up mightily today, only to be back to his normal self tomorrow.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Very true. Remember when Vande Velde lost 2.30 to the other favourites after rest day number two during last years TdF. Menchov also lost a few seconds, but that was only because of the final descent.

Menchovs difficulty will again be to chose which attacks to follow and which attacks to let go. he will surely stay with Di Luca at every point but if Sastre attacks very early then he can't just let him go too fast or he might get too much time. I think it's to Menchovs advantage though is Liquigas sets a really high pace going into hte climb. That will lessen the likelihood of losts of attacks early. Once Liquigas has made their attack following the high pace then the race starts for Menchov.

Can't see Astana causing huge problems now. Levi shouldn't be able to recover enough to figure. Will probably blow.
I'm more in line with Alpe's scenario. Fast leakygas pace for Basso. Hope they use Pellizotti as the fuse.
I expect the usual Italian infighting, negating much of their work, though.
As a result, Menchov will stay cool and Sastre will make further small time gains.

A short stage like that. Might be worth Astana's while to ride it like a TTT.

Get the whole team warmed up on turbos in the hotel garage so that they're fully primed.

And then take off out the blocks at absolute top pace while everyone's just opening their legs up.

Merckx said:
Lol, I like it Animal. Should be a great stage for sure ;)

Wishful thinking here, I think. They haven't shown any inclination whatsoever towards controling the peloton this Giro--and for good reason! They're not in charge, and Brunyeel teams have always expended energy sparingly when they could afford to.

I think the front groups will be Rabobank for most of the stage, LPR occasionally, and Liquigas at the end for the lead in to the attack that Basso will put in and which will see him eventualy finish a dozen seconds or so back from Menchov, Sastre, and Di Luca (with Sastre again taking the win).

But yeah, I'm sure it will be just as great of a stage as Monday's! :D

TRENDING THREADS